PDA

View Full Version : Preferred Web browser for linux

25-11-2001, 07:48 PM
Hi,

Is it possible to set a particular web browser as the default under linux? For example I have a link to this site on my desktop, but it opens under konqueror, which doesn't display it properly. I tried opening the URL with 'open with', and set it to remember to use this program with this file, but it used konqueror again the next time I tried it. I don't seem to be able to uninstall konqueror, and I want to use mozilla instead.

Thx in advance:)

26-11-2001, 02:50 PM
When you logout of KDE, does it have a box like 'save current setup' to click on in the 'are you sure' panel? That's what Gnome has. I ran into exactly that problem last night too: I was wanting to use the Adobe reader rather than xpdf for PDF files. Linux people seem to let you set up things for one session, without forcing you to have it that way forever. If you want to make changes permanent, you're expected to tell it that.

26-11-2001, 05:14 PM
Just come across a libarary book with a picture of a KDE control panel window: If you used the 'Default' button, rather than the 'OK' button, it would have set its default; not made your choice the default. The 'Apply' button would do it for now, but not save the setting. (Gnome has 'Revert', 'Try', and 'OK').

Keep at it Erin, it gets easier all the time.