PDA

View Full Version : Pedantic IE

25-11-2001, 11:45 AM
Hi - in IE5.5 'Favourites' the folder names wont display alphabetically but at random ~ can I switch this someplace so that they stack alphabetically to suit my tidy mind?
Also, I cant suss how to permanently delete or rename some MS defined folders like 'Media' & 'Links' ~ where do I go to beat the Old Bill on this one please?

25-11-2001, 11:59 AM
Renaming:
This can be done either in Internet Explorer or in Windows Explorer (C:\windows\favorites).

1/ Go to the folder that you want to rename,
2/ Right click and select 'Rename',
3/ Type a new name.

Sorting:
1/ Open Internet Explorer,
2/ Click 'Favorites'
3/ Right click on any folder,
4/ Select 'Sort by Name'.

25-11-2001, 02:17 PM
Thanks Al, but uh uh --
1/ 'rename' only seems to work during the current session, once ya close & re-open IE next time the names return to MS defaults.

2/ No 'sort by name' visible in 5.5 . . . have looked in 'properties', 'start menu/settings', allsorts of right clickings in 'organise faves' etc but still no progress .. . .

Cheers
CBM

26-11-2001, 12:12 AM
Hi Bruce.
To change the name on my IE6 you can right click on the folder and rename alright.

As for sorting, I click and drag the folder I want to move. A line will move to where you want it to go, and then take your finger off left mouse button when its in the right place.
Hope this helps.

26-11-2001, 12:28 AM
In IE5.5 you cannot rename nor delete 'Media' or 'Links'. You can delete everything that's in them, but not the folders themselves. IE6 gives you the option to do so however.

To sort them into any order, just drag the favourites into whatever order you want them.

26-11-2001, 02:43 AM
Hi Bruce,

The 'Sort by Name' issue:

A couple of links for this:
http://www.windows-help.net/windows98/troub-43.shtml

http://www.techtv.com/callforhelp/shownotes/story/0,24330,3346657,00.html
-----------------------------

To the best of my knowledge you can delete the 'Media' folder as it's something I've done since ver 5.0.

'Links' can be removed, I think, by using TweakUI.
In TweakUI go to the IE tab and untick 'Show Links on Favorites menu'.
-----------------------

You could also try renaming and/or deleting the folders by going through Windows Explorer (with IE closed). The IE Favorites are located, normally, in c:\windows\favorites

HTH