PDA

View Full Version : Reinstalling drivers after a format

24-11-2001, 11:44 PM
Reformatting: next question...

I have a CD-ROM that came with my PC containing untold driver files and exes that I believe (hope) can't possibly all be necessary to reinstall on my Win98 machine after I format it.

One example: in the Modem folder I have folder #1 Dun 12b containing one file msdun12b.exe and folder #2 Dynalink v5.1 containing 7 various folders and 3 inf files. How on earth am I going to sort out what I should be reinstalling for my modem? Will Win98 do it for me automatically upon setup? (I don't trust it)

Another example: there is a folder DPT SCSI which I have no idea what it is for, containing a number of more dunno-what-for folders and files.

I'm beginning to get cold feet about this format business as I didn't do a very good job with the other old PC because of this driver business and this time I really do have to get it right. Can anyone please give me some tips/pointers on how to find out what I need to know of the essentials before F-Day?

Thank you!

25-11-2001, 12:31 AM
This link may be of help:

http://www.cyberwalker.net/faqs/how-tos/reinstall-faq.html

25-11-2001, 08:18 AM
Susan,

Don't worry, you'll know when you need them. The DPT thing is for a SCSI controller you probably don't have.

You should be fine with the drivers. If there are different ones for the same device, they should come up with names as you try installing them.

Persevere, you doing fine.

Robo.