PDA

View Full Version : diskscan & defrag again

24-11-2001, 08:10 PM
Thanks to the 4 who gave me advice yesterday (celeron 466, 10gig h\d, Win.98) & now I am ok.

Question -

why is it that win.98 with all its bells & whistles, when I tried to 'scandisk' it could only tell me in a dialog box that it 'restarted 10 times because windows was writing to the drive' - no 'here's what you do to fix it', or better still 'stand by, we are adjusting it for you now'

Also when starting 'Defrag', after 2 hours grinding away & showing only 1 % completed, no dialog box came up & stated that I needed to make some adjustment ('safe mode')to make it work, & here's what you do to get into it. Or again, no auto adjust itself to make it work.
It took 4 good samaratans via this excellent program to do what I thought win. 98 would have told me, or adjusted for me.
Am I expecting too much in the way of clear directions from win.98. for someone who is a bit new at it like me?

thanks again

Jim

24-11-2001, 08:44 PM
What I do is... from the start menu go to system tools>system information>tools>system configuration utility>startup.Untick everthing except the system tray. Apply then allow to re-startup. Defrag etc now. When you finish repeat first steps and retick the boxes that you deleted especially the one concerned with the AVirus

24-11-2001, 08:51 PM
What I do is... from the start menu go to system tools>system information>tools>system configuration utility>startup.Untick everthing except the system tray. Apply then allow to re-startup. Defrag etc now. When you finish repeat first steps and retick the boxes that you deleted especially the one concerned with the AVirus

24-11-2001, 08:51 PM

24-11-2001, 08:53 PM
Sorry about the triple response.Haven't used this before today

24-11-2001, 08:55 PM
Do them in the safe mode
or dl POWER DEFRAG 2.00 at http://www.powerdefrag.com/

YB

24-11-2001, 08:59 PM
Always run scandisk before defragging.

Do it every week.

Use ME defragger, it only take a 1/4 of the time.

24-11-2001, 09:03 PM
No Jim, I dont think you are expecting too much at all. Scandisk and defrag is something everyone has to do, yet MS is too thick apparently to enable it to be done easily.
I think Microsoft lost the user friendly plot when in their wisdom they decided to do away with manuals. The built in help is next to useless unless you already know the answer so that you know the right sort of question to ask and where to look.
Now you are beginning to see another reason why there is a love-hate relationship with MS.
Cheers