PDA

View Full Version : XP Product Activation !!!!!1

24-11-2001, 05:53 PM
Attempting to assist friend with new Arche computer.
On boot up, asked for product code - entered accurately 13,000,000 times but system still tells me that I must enter correct activation code. Unable to proceed further from this point. Options are to go back or shut down!!
No after hours reply from Microsoft.
Any suggestions appreciated.
Thanks
Grant

24-11-2001, 08:11 PM
I thought I saw MS put out a big blurb saying they were going to have 24hr phones available for activation problems etc! Did they lie?

Anyhow the main problem I have seen with activation type stuff is that people enter the wrong thing when they see an O or 0 as part of the number. Try the letter O or the number 0 instead if you have O/0 in the number.

24-11-2001, 08:33 PM
13,000,000 times !!??

lol, anyway, if the above suggestion doesn't work, take it back to the retailer. Get them to put it right.

GG

25-11-2001, 01:48 AM
Thanks to both,
The serial no had no zeros or other ambiguous characters but thanks for the suggestion.
I may have exaggerated a wee bit re the number of times I entered the ser no - I lost track after the first 10,000,000!
Rgds
Grant

25-11-2001, 02:56 PM
Ahhh, isn that just like microsoft...

I once had this problem trying to install windows ME on a friends computer... Take careful note I did NOT install ME on my own PC, ME is a disease you know... Microsoft refuse to replace the copy of the operating system saying that it was impossible that they had got the number wrong, and that we must have made a mistake entering it in. They also pronounced with great jubilation that it was the responsibility of the supplier of the package to ensure it works correctly. As you would expect (and as Murphy went over in great detail) the supplier of the PC said it was the responsibility of Microsoft to get the software replaced... As of now, I support neither Microsoft nor The PC Company, who also screwed the graphics board by putting hot glue into the fan... It appeared that they were trying to get it to stay in it's slot, which it was not seated properly in either. I'm getting a little off the topic here, but what I'm trying to tell you is that you should probably install a different operating system. Oh, and not to buy anything from The PC Company.

26-11-2001, 12:16 AM
Thanks Erin,
With glue in the fan on the graphics board I guess you could say that you have one of the hottest graphics systems around!
Careful, the might charge you for the upgrade!!

To all: I think I may have resolved the problem. When the vendor set up the system, he has installed XP Home version but the cd's accompanying the package are XP Small Business with the appropriate code no's which are NBG with the XP version installed. Phone call Monday will tell.
Thanks again for the assistance.
Press F!'s a bloody good system. Thanks PCW

26-11-2001, 12:16 AM
Thanks Erin,
With glue in the fan on the graphics board I guess you could say that you have one of the hottest graphics systems around!
Careful, the might charge you for the upgrade!!

To all: I think I may have resolved the problem. When the vendor set up the system, he has installed XP Home version but the cd's accompanying the package are XP Small Business with the appropriate code no's which are NBG with the XP version installed. Phone call Monday will tell.
Thanks again for the assistance.
Press F!'s a bloody good system. Thanks PCW