PDA

View Full Version : Win 7 will not start

Swampy
02-05-2013, 11:30 AM
My nephew has an Acer Aspire 5534 running Win7. When we turn it on, we see the screen with the F2 and F12, then the screen goes blank and nothing happens after that. He has a younger brother who we suspect has used his” sticky fingers” when no one was looking and maybe has changed something. I have tried to boot from the Win7 disk but it only progresses as far as the “Installation is starting” screen and then appears to stop – although the mouse continues to be able to be moved!!!
Any help to solve this would be appreciated.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
Check and see if the hdd is in properly...

Swampy
02-05-2013, 01:10 PM
Check and see if the hdd is in properly...

Yes - the HDD is seated in the proper place - I removed it and re-set it . Still nothing !!!

dugimodo
02-05-2013, 01:42 PM
Go into the BIOS and check the boot settings perhaps. Also check for any USB devices and unplug them to eliminate them as a cause. After that a ram test might be a good Idea.

dugimodo
02-05-2013, 01:46 PM
Also maybe check the hdd mode. If you change a sata drive to AHCI without the drivers installed it causes symptoms much like that.

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2013, 01:49 PM
It'll crash with a 7b stop error if you change it from AHCI to IDE mode (if the option is there). Havent come across a PC that shows a black screen. If you can get into the BIOS set it to its defaults. Then reconfigure it. Then save the settings

Swampy
02-05-2013, 02:21 PM
It'll crash with a 7b stop error if you change it from AHCI to IDE mode (if the option is there). Havent come across a PC that shows a black screen. If you can get into the BIOS set it to its defaults. Then reconfigure it. Then save the settings
I have re-set the Bios to default and it did not improve anything. I changed the order of boot to start from the Win7 disk - that only got as far as "Statrting set up" I then changed the boot order back to " HDD " as the first option and still has not helped. Is there a way to get to the C:\ prompt ?

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Does it support hypertransport? If it does, it looks like this can make it hang. If its got the option in the BIOS. change it from 16 to 8 then save settings, then see what happens

ChazTheGeek
02-05-2013, 06:05 PM
+1

wainuitech
02-05-2013, 06:47 PM
Windows hangs at Setup is "starting Windows" while its in the hardware detection mode. If you can still move the mouse its not hung, if it had hung it would be unresponsive completely.

Assuming this is AMD, found one possible fix: "In Your bios -> for AMD turn hypertransport to 8 bit and x1."

After that try rebooting normally ( without the Repair CD)

One not so obvious problem could also be a dud driver install.

Have you tried starting the Lappy in safe Mode ( tapping F8 as it boots up) the black screen mentioned in the first post can be a bad graphic Driver - safe mode will bypass any extra drivers installed.

Swampy
03-05-2013, 09:54 AM
Thanks to all for your most helpfull info. I have managed to get the lappy to boot from the Win7 disk - it took over an hour after it got to " Starting Setup " screen - but it appears to me that the hard drive is not being recognised. I have gone to the "prompt" screen and tried to change directory but it will not go to the C:\ drive. I will remove the hard drive again and see if I can get it to run. Get back to you later.

wainuitech
03-05-2013, 10:19 AM
With windows 7 the C: drive is actually the hidden partition - Let me explain:

When windows 7 installs it creates hidden partition containing certain functions, labels it as C, then the actual working partition is labelled D.

BUT because its hidden, so is the drive letter, so when windows boots as normal, the working partition is now showing as C.

When you boot from a recovery CD the hidden partition is now active and can be seen by the recovery CD, so C is the hidden and D is now the actual working OS, so to get into the working OS partition you have to change to D, not C.

Confused ? ;)
To show it, from the CMD type

Diskpart ( its all one word) <Press Enter>

List Volume <Press Enter>

What you should see is :

Volume 0 E Repair Disc
Volume 1 C System Rese
Volume 2 D

Word of warning, in diskpart be VERY careful, one wrong command and you wipe the drive in an instant, you don't get a second "are you sure"

Swampy
03-05-2013, 10:38 AM
I posted this but it did not appear
Thanks for all the helpfull info. I have managed to get it to boot using the Win7 disk - it took over an hour after the " Set up is Starting"screen - and it appears to me that the hard drive is not being recognised. I used the promt screen to try to see the C:\ but nothing happened.I will take the HDD out again and see if I can get ti to re-set. I'll let you know what happens.

wainuitech
03-05-2013, 11:51 AM
That's right --- In CMD, C: wont let you in. Its the system reserved partition.

If you wanted to look at the OS Directory you would change to that by typing D: Then DIR will list the contents.

If you wanted to run chkdsk to check it at the X:\Windows\System32> you would need to type chkdsk D: /f

The other options are once its loaded on the CD, you can select System Restore and return the whole thing backwards to before all the trouble began or click on Startup repair.

Agent_24
03-05-2013, 12:24 PM
Assuming this is AMD, found one possible fix: "In Your bios -> for AMD turn hypertransport to 8 bit and x1."

I think if that has to be done, you have a hardware fault.

Swampy
08-05-2013, 02:31 PM
Thanks once again to all the help offered. I have resolved the problem to be a fault in the boot up section of the hard drive. I have replaced the ahrd drive.