PDA

View Full Version : VOIP question

Nomad
02-05-2013, 12:14 AM
We are getting hooked up with Snap Fibre next week which comes with a (1) VOIP local no. that is going to be ported over. We plan to have the router at the TV Lounge and a network cable goes upstairs to a network switch that goes to the rooms. Will those rooms with RJ45s able to answer their IP phones? The other thing is it possible to have a no. of IP phones in the diff rooms that will ring at the same time by having just one phone number?

:thanks:

linw
02-05-2013, 12:13 PM
The ip part of voip phone service starts at the modem/router not at the phone itself.

The modem/router will be a Fritz box. It will have ethernet RJ45 sockets for your LAN but it will have a phone RJ11 socket for your phones.

You can just connect your current phone cable to this port. This is what I did with my Genius router. I simply disconnected my phone from the outside world and used a standard BT to RJ11 phone cable to connect my phones to the router RJ11 port. All phones work as before, incl an old one and a DECT base station.

Nomad
02-05-2013, 12:45 PM
Thanks. We plan to have two rj45 ports in each room. Should we go with ip phones like in distant future will those just be with 2talk and is that also with Snap`s extra voip number?

Alex B
02-05-2013, 12:48 PM
The Frizbox can work as a DECT station also. Here is a list of compatible phones: http://fritzbox.com.au/forums/showthread.php?122-DECT-Phones-compatible-with-the-Fritz!Box