PDA

View Full Version : Which version of the Samsung Galaxy S4 should I get? (9500 vs 9505)

Fifthdawn
30-04-2013, 02:24 PM
Hi PF1, its been a while since my last post, but as always this is the first resort when asking these sorts of questions!

I want to get the S4, but there is very little information that I understand (not really knowledgeable on the whole phone cpu/gpu side of things).

I took a look at the Wikipedia page, and it seemed that the main difference was that the 9500 currently does not support LTE. I guess part of my dicision should take into account how much of Auckland currently has LTE coverage, and how far it is projected to cover, does anyone have an information on this?

The other main difference would be the Samsung Exynos 5 Octa CPU vs the Qualcomm Snapdragon 600 CPU, and their paired GPU's.

Also note that whichever phone will be used in Europe, although both versions of the phone is billed as being global I would like to phone if there would be any issues with either of them.

I know there a few people around here that know a lot about phones and would really to hear their opinions on which one is 'better'.
Thanks for reading

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2013, 02:48 PM
Considering right now only Vodafone has "4G" and the speeds of that are roughly comparable to Telecoms 3G XT Network in a lot of places, not to mention the overall %@#$ 4G coverage as well as the 700Hz spectrum not being readily available until the closure of analog TV... Finally with the added "bonus" of our absolutely pathetic data caps here in NZ (Did I mention that you can get 200MB per-day at 4G speeds then unlimited 'throttled back' on T-Mobile Prepaid for $3 a day in the USA?), I honestly don't think that 4G is worth bothering with at the moment.

Maybe if you go to replace your phone in 12-18 months, I'd *potentially* be worried about it then, but personally I'd look for better overall coverage (Which Vodafone certainly doesn't have around Auckland) and general overall speeds (Which again XT wins hands down with).

So don't bother with the 4G version IMO! At least, not with this phone in NZ, right now...

pablo d
30-04-2013, 04:15 PM
Considering right now only Vodafone has "4G" and the speeds of that are roughly comparable to Telecoms 3G XT Network in a lot of places

As a vodafone employee I may have drunken too much of the kool-aid, but this statement is blatantly false. XT can't touch 4G in (the rapidly expanding) 4G coverage areas.

Nomad
30-04-2013, 06:08 PM
I've seen some Speedtest reports from those in AKL getting 90Mbps with 4G Vodafone and upstream with 50Mbps :D I heard that Europe gets 200Mbps but the US is quite a bit slow at like 15Mbps, how could that be ... The data caps are low in NZ. Have a friend in Japan who uses her iPhone 4 3G with her all she can use data plan, she Skypes while she is in her car and at the supermarket, comes home and pairs it up with her Wifi router. She's thinking of getting the iPhone 5 on a contract which is 4G all you can use again :p I heard that Telecom XT is rolling out 4G equipment within a year ... 2Degrees have plans too.

Alex B
30-04-2013, 07:29 PM
Apparently Vodafone LTE sucks if you are on the fringes of coverage, I'm at the wrong end of the country to test this. Roll out of Telecom's LTE network starts this year. Analogue TV has already been turned off in the south island.

I'd go the LTE version if it was me.

paulw
30-04-2013, 07:44 PM
If you want to see some real world info have a look at Paul Brislen of Tuanz article

http://tuanz.org.nz/blog/2013/4/14/mobile

GameJunkie
30-04-2013, 08:17 PM
i'll wait for the full 4g telecom rollout ( in wellington in particular), and the next nexus phone which hopefully be LTE capable

Chilling_Silence
30-04-2013, 08:35 PM
I've had two friends test it in the Henderson area on their iPhone5. Neither broke 20mbps.

But as mentioned by Paul, you'll just blow whatever tiny as data cap you have. I'm just saying, aside from YouTube videos, I honestly don't see a need for 4G on Cellphones for most people.

Just my personal opinion, that's all.

8ftmetalhaed
30-04-2013, 10:38 PM
i'd get the cheapest one. LTE is not all it's cracked up to be, it's the same problem as broadband. What's the point having stupidly fast speeds if the providers are going to have you strung up and ream you for every byte of data you send, even if you add in nipple clamps by joining a plan?
Until it's a couple cents per 100 mb or less it's not going to be anything close to worth using.

Fifthdawn
30-04-2013, 11:43 PM
Thanks everyone for the input! I have read around a bit and it seems that the 9500 should/will have better battery life due to the OctaCore technology so I think it might go for that one, its a bit of a pity that they didn't get the LTE working with it yet (seems some places are saying that it will be released later).

On a bit of a related note, does anyone know of a teleco provider that spans the UK, France and Italy? I would like to look at prices of data compared to the cost of buying a GPS app, but I don't want to get nailed with a huge bill or have to muck around changing providers in each location.

Chilling_Silence
01-05-2013, 04:57 AM
Yeah basically it works in a similar way to the Tegra3 chipset with it's "Companion Core" tech I believe, so I'm unsure if all 8 are on under heavy load, but I'm pretty sure that one of the "4 cores" is a low-power one designed to be used when the system need to be doing bugger all, it shuts off the main 4-core CPU.

If you want to travel, iPhoneTrip.com do something like that where you just have the one SIM. Keep in mind you pay a small premium for them taking care of that all for you though, as opposed to doing it yourself. Alternatively, I think that XT do $10 for unlimited mobile roaming data: http://www.telecomroaming.co.nz/