PDA

View Full Version : W8 start button

SolMiester
30-04-2013, 10:51 AM
Hi all, a MS partner I was playing golf with on Saturday at Gulf Harbour, told me that public disappointment at the missing start button, has prompted them into bringing it back with a patch!...Yay!

Cliffs; poor effort at bragging about playing at gulf harbour and W8 start button..
:clap

LOL

CYaBro
30-04-2013, 10:53 AM
From what I've heard the Start button will be back but it won't show the menu like you got in Windows XP-7, it will take you to the new Start screen.
So really they are just going to unhide the Start button from the bottom left corner and put it back where it was.

wainuitech
30-04-2013, 11:02 AM
But will it be an actual separate downloadable patch, or actually Windows 8.1

windows-8-1-will-bring-back-the-start-button (http://www.extremetech.com/computing/153928-windows-8-1-will-bring-back-the-start-button)

pcuser42
30-04-2013, 11:41 AM
Meh. Haven't missed it.

wratterus
30-04-2013, 12:10 PM
Brilliant! This isn't a joke though, right? :p

The Error Guy
30-04-2013, 12:45 PM
If the button shows up I'll be getting rid of it. Whats the point? I have a perfectly good start button on my keyboard!

wratterus
30-04-2013, 02:28 PM
If the button shows up I'll be getting rid of it. Whats the point? I have a perfectly good start button on my keyboard!

It's not about the button, it's about the menu.

wainuitech
30-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Even the current menu layout is no big deal. Once you get used to how W8 is laid out and actually works its very easy.

All it takes is a bit of thinking, but then again some people need to be spoon fed and cant think anyway.
The majority of people hardly ever use the menu, generally theres shortcuts on the desktop to what ever the task is they wise to use.

I can honestly say even on W7 and before, once I have the shortcuts created its lucky if I go into the menus at the most once every couple of weeks ( if that)
I have got and also setup W8 with the programs people want, and its so damn easy and quicker.

Heres an example W7 - Click start, go to all Programs, menu expands, locate the folder/program you want, then click it = Open

W8 once the shortcut is on the start screen --- Press the Windows key - click program = Open

Opening the control Panel - almost the same in both versions of windows 7 & 8 - the only difference is W7 is on the left, W8 is on the right. big hairy deal.

I'm in agreement with Error Guy, if the start button / Menu appears they will be disabled.

JJJJJ
30-04-2013, 03:27 PM
Why is it quicker clicking a shortcut than clicking start?
Anyway I doubt if win 8 will be around for long the way it's selling.

bk T
30-04-2013, 03:38 PM
Another W8 vs W7 debate?

SolMiester
30-04-2013, 03:52 PM
Another W8 vs W7 debate?

Meh, not one comment on my Gulf Harbour excursion!

CYaBro
30-04-2013, 03:54 PM
Meh, not one comment on my Gulf Harbour excursion!

We're all secretly jealous :D

wainuitech
30-04-2013, 04:22 PM
Another W8 vs W7 debate? Look at it this way --- if MS bring back the start button & menus, then theres going to be a few people pissed off -- WHY-- Because then they wont have the same things to have a b1tch at :p

W8 is faster than 7 and has features some don't even know exist. Many people who complain about W8 either have only had a go at it for a VERY short time, or not at all, or are to stupid to learn something new. ;)

If I've offended anyone -- Tough :p

Mind you those kind of people will find fault with anything.

pcuser42
30-04-2013, 04:45 PM
Then of course there's the people who moan and groan about Windows 8 simply because it's not made by a fruit company or they can't edit the source code. ;)

plod
30-04-2013, 04:47 PM
From an article on this website from memory, the update will allow you to boot straight to the W7 style start screen bypassing metro.

plod
30-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Then of course there's the people who moan and groan about Windows 8 simply because it's not made by a fruit company or they can't edit the source code. ;)just leave the fruit companies out of it please

Nick G
30-04-2013, 04:59 PM
Then of course there's the people who moan and groan about Windows 8 simply because it's not made by a fruit company or they can't edit the source code. ;)
What about http://pearlinux.fr/? Named after a fruit and you can edit the source code :p

pcuser42
30-04-2013, 05:08 PM
I used inclusive or. :p

The Error Guy
30-04-2013, 06:46 PM
The way I use the start menu is press start button on kb then type "partitio" or "photosho" by that time I know "Create or format HDD partitions" or "photoshop" will be at the top of the list and I just press enter.

Start screen, same deal except that the screen is better. Nice big icons for regularly used programs and the addition of live tiles is fantastic.

gary67
30-04-2013, 07:22 PM
I only have one shortcut on my start screen at home on Win7 and thats for the recycle bin, eveything else I do i do what error does start key on keyboard and type

Greg
30-04-2013, 08:03 PM
The way I use the start menu is press start button on kbThere's a Start button on the keyboard? :confused:

Anyway, I can't stand Win8's interface, so I must fall into or between one of Wainuitech's user categories... I've only used it a few times briefly to help a friend sort a few basic problems so haven't had time to get to know it. It's simply not intuitive enough without any period of immersion in it.

pcuser42
30-04-2013, 08:07 PM
The Windows key Greg ;)

wainuitech
30-04-2013, 08:58 PM
The biggest stuff-up Microsoft have made with this new interface is lack of instructions on how to use it.

Sure theres plenty written on the internet on "how to do things" but right from the start they should have a bloody great in your face Icon :stare: on the start menu saying something like " how to use windows 8 - click or Tap here" - Then a few basic instructions on usage appear. 50-windows-8-tips-tricks-and-secrets (http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/50-windows-8-tips-tricks-and-secrets-1028220)

When ever I've dealt with a person new to W8 I spend roughly 1/2 hour taking them through the basic's, like how to use the start menu, how to change the tiles to what and where you want, add/remove them, how to create shortcuts on the desktop, how to get tiles on the start menu for the programs they want, how to get to the control panel (if they wanted to) show how to get to Programs and features for uninstalling etc along with various other tasks.

99% once finished usually make some sort of comment along the lines of " what's all the Fuss about - ITS EASY " ?

I learnt 90 % of what I know about windows 8 before it went RTM, -- so can anyone else, there's Beta's, Release candidates etc all freely available before the final version comes out, download tehm, install - have a play / look around-so by the time it goes live you already know just about everything you would need. Some features are not available by default till its goes RTM.

Windows 8.1 public Beta is rumoured to be out in June this year, you can get the "leaked" builds from torrent sites now, but personally I'll wait for the official ones.

If you are in the computer repair business you need to be up with the play and the newest OS features other wise you will be left behind and look stupid when someone asks for help.

Some of the upgrade/ Features:
While the full picture of Blue updates remains generally unclear, the enhancements of Windows 8.1 over Windows 8 have already been published:
•New split-screen App options.
•Improved modern UI PC settings.
•New tile sizes.
•New search interface.
•Enhanced SkyDrive.
•Internet Explorer 11.
•Swipe up from Start Screen to access list of apps.
•More personalization options.
•Picture frame mode.
•New gestures.
•New App: Calculator.
•New App: Alarm.
•New App: Sound Recorder.
•New App: Movie Moments(video editing application).

dugimodo
30-04-2013, 10:06 PM
I haven't spent that much time on windows 8 myself for several reasons.
1. initial reaction was I don't like it and it's frustrating
2. Just haven't gotten around to migrating all my software and games onto it
3. windows 7 isn't doing anything wrong...

I know I'm perfectly capable of learning how to use it and no doubt after a while would find ways around the things that annoy me but mostly I just don't like the interface much.
For one thing I like to use the mouse, I'm not much into keyboard shortcuts. Windows 8 seems bound and determined to force me to learn the shortcuts I've never bothered with and to make me type things when I'd rather just click.

here's an example of default behaviour I don't like, I know it could be easily fixed by changing file associations but I'm talking about default behaviour here;
I navigate to a folder with a lot of video files so I can start organizing them and deleting some I don't want
I double click a file to see what it is, windows launches the Xbox player app - does a decent job and I like the interface.
I stop playback and go to switch back to the folder.... now I know I could alt tab but like I said I like to use the mouse and there's just no obvious way to get back to the folder I have open.
I fumble for a while, move the mouse to the corner, click the start button, click the desktop tile, and I'm back - clumsy and awkward. I'm sure there's an easy way somewhere and will get around to finding it, but it's far from intuitive.
Why the hell did MS decide we aren't allowed to close apps like we can desktop programs, what do they have against mouse users?

In windows 7 doing the same thing I can just click the tab on the task bar and go straight back to the folder I was in - I see no way windows 8 can beat a single mouse click with it's fancy new GUI.

Reading about the upcoming changes to windows 8 it does seem like they are addressing most of the things I don't like so maybe when it releases I'll finally make the change. I have noticed quite a few little improvements that I do like even with the current version but I'm just not a fan of the way apps and the start screen function and can see myself sticking mainly to desktop programs.

pcuser42
30-04-2013, 10:12 PM
To switch between Metro apps and the desktop, click the top left corner. Moving your mouse down from there reveals the Metro taskbar with all running apps.

You can close Metro apps, just grab the top edge and drag it all the way to the bottom - a quick flick once you get used to it ;)

johnd
30-04-2013, 10:14 PM
It seems to me to be rather pointless writing heaps about something that you have not used much. I think W8 will parallel the initial release of Ubuntu Unity. WHen it first came out the reviewers wrote heaps about how useless the interface was. Then at some point they decided to give it some serious use! Many of the same reviewers are now saying how good it is. From the perspective of a Unity user, I don't think that W8 is that bad. From a PowerShell user's point of view, it has many advantages.

wainuitech
30-04-2013, 10:33 PM
A few interesting points above.

1. Using the keyboard more --- NOPE, the only time I use the keyboard is to type something, with the exception of tapping the Windows key if I want the start menu, everything else is done by the mouse as per other versions of windows.
2. Ubuntu -- Interesting that comment -- I notice Ubuntu release a "new version" every 6 months - So does that mean the previous version was a total flop as well ?? Of course not, it means they add new features or refine others. I notice no one complains about the short time Ubuntu do new versions. ;)

As I mentioned before, W8 has a lot of features many don't even know exist, Seems I'm always finding something new -- all part of the "fun and learning experience" :)

Agent_24
30-04-2013, 11:28 PM
Why do Microsoft go backwards in features and functionality?

In Vista\7, they removed GIF animation from Windows picture viewer, and changed the keyboard shortcuts from sensible things like Ctrl+A to idiotic finger-breaking things like Ctrl+Alt+0

Then in Windows 8, the Metro picture viewer won't even let you scroll through multiple pictures in a folder.

IE's toolbars have become less and less customisable for every version...

wainuitech
01-05-2013, 07:59 AM
changed the keyboard shortcuts from sensible things like Ctrl+A to idiotic finger-breaking things like Ctrl+Alt+0
Eh ???????????

What keyboard are you using ?? Ctrl +A = Select all, and still is :confused:

In Word, Ctrl+Alt+0 switches your view from "Normal" view to "Outline" view.

Nick G
01-05-2013, 08:10 AM
To switch between Metro apps and the desktop, click the top left corner. Moving your mouse down from there reveals the Metro taskbar with all running apps.
You can close Metro apps, just grab the top edge and drag it all the way to the bottom - a quick flick once you get used to it ;)
Not as quick or easy as clicking a button though ;) To either switch between apps or close a windows.

It seems to me to be rather pointless writing heaps about something that you have not used much. I think W8 will parallel the initial release of Ubuntu Unity. WHen it first came out the reviewers wrote heaps about how useless the interface was. Then at some point they decided to give it some serious use! Many of the same reviewers are now saying how good it is. From the perspective of a Unity user, I don't think that W8 is that bad. From a PowerShell user's point of view, it has many advantages.
Thing with unity, is that it doesn't fundamentally change how you use the computer. Sure, if takes away some customisation, adds a few features, take away a few, but there's still a bar with the calender etc on it, and one with shortcuts to programs and open programs listed on it. And a button which opens up a way to search all programs.

2. Ubuntu -- Interesting that comment -- I notice Ubuntu release a "new version" every 6 months - So does that mean the previous version was a total flop as well ?? Of course not, it means they add new features or refine others. I notice no one complains about the short time Ubuntu do new versions. ;)

With Ubuntu, its probably best to look at the LTS releases, which are released every two years, and are supported for five years. :)
What is nice about Ubuntu/Unity (Don't know which one this applies to) is a long press of the super key brings up a list of keyboard shortcuts. IMO Microsoft should introduce something like this.

pcuser42
01-05-2013, 08:46 AM
In Vista\7, they removed GIF animation from Windows picture viewer

I'll admit that was annoying, but I open GIFs in Firefox to get around that.

and changed the keyboard shortcuts from sensible things like Ctrl+A to idiotic finger-breaking things like Ctrl+Alt+0

As wainuitech said, eh? :confused:

Then in Windows 8, the Metro picture viewer won't even let you scroll through multiple pictures in a folder.

It can, but only if the folder is included in a library - it's a Metro restriction.

IE's toolbars have become less and less customisable for every version...

Why would you still use IE :p

bk T
01-05-2013, 08:47 AM
It's extremely hard to change one's perception.

If somebody likes product A, product A is the best in the world, even if something is not as good as product B, he (she) will still put it in such a way that it's better.

I can really see this behaviour in this W8 vs W7 debate - it's a realy good example of PERCEPTION.

My conclusion is: Just use (or buy) whatever you like most; be happy with what you have and most importantly, respect other's views. It's really pointless to argue how good/bad W8 or W7 is. If a product is really good, people will just buy and use it, otherwise, peole will just dump it- just like Win ME and maybe Vista :)

wainuitech
01-05-2013, 09:01 AM
While those comments BK T are all true and good points, if people but a computer / Laptop from places like the toaster shops, then they're loaded with what ever is the flavour of the year at the time.

The only way to change that is to either have someone custom build or go to a real computer shop, not a shop that sells Lounge suits or kitchen ware next to the computer department :D

Agent_24
01-05-2013, 09:18 AM
Eh ???????????

What keyboard are you using ?? Ctrl +A = Select all, and still is :confused:

In Word, Ctrl+Alt+0 switches your view from "Normal" view to "Outline" view.

I was talking about the Windows picture viewer. In the XP version the shortcuts make sense. In the Vista and later versions they are insane. And it seems they changed them for no other reason than "because they could" - which is why it really makes no sense.

wainuitech
01-05-2013, 09:55 AM
I was talking about the Windows picture viewer. In the XP version the shortcuts make sense. In the Vista and later versions they are insane. And it seems they changed them for no other reason than "because they could" - which is why it really makes no sense. Can you please explain that a bit better -- I just opened up a XP machine, viewed some pictures in Windows Picture Viewer,it still only shows 1 picture that's selected, and you can move back and forth to the next Picture. In W7 & W8 its called Photo Viewer and does the exact same thing - W8 has the Start App as the default viewer, but that's easy to change to another viewer.

Ctrl +A in XP picture viewer only makes the picture zoom in /enlarge. You still cant select all the pictures in the folder from the viewer ???

Agent_24
01-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Ctrl +A in XP picture viewer only makes the picture zoom in /enlarge.

Yes. That sets it to 100% image zoom, and Ctrl+B sets to 'best fit' - the whole image shrunk to fit in the window. The shortcuts are easy to use with 2 fingers and easy to remember. Not so in the later versions. A step backwards I think.

The pictures folder has nothing to do with it. I was just saying that in Metro you can't scroll through pictures in a folder, unless as pcuser42 pointed out, you import them to a library first.

So, if you genuinely like Metro, and you wanted to quickly look through some pictures that were on a CD or something, you can't, unless you copied them to your pictures library first or something? That's also pretty silly.

wainuitech
01-05-2013, 10:49 AM
For Zooming in W7 or W8 Photo Viewer I simply use the + and - Keys, zooms to what ever you select.

As for the Metro App Viewer in W8 -- Call me old fashioned :p , but I have all my pictures in separate folders in the "My Pictures" folder anyway, and they all work fine, open in full screen with the app (scroll left to right by using the arrow keys).

pcuser42
01-05-2013, 10:54 AM
And who still uses CDs :p

01-05-2013, 11:05 AM
....... I was just saying that in Metro you can't scroll through pictures in a folder, unless as pcuser42 pointed out, you import them to a library first.

(from memory)..
But you still can in Win8
Go to the desktop & open the folder viewer (explorer) , browse whatever folders & pictures you want
Can't that folder veiwer/explorer be added as a Metro Tile ?

autechre
02-05-2013, 08:43 AM
(from memory)..
But you still can in Win8
Go to the desktop & open the folder viewer (explorer) , browse whatever folders & pictures you want
Can't that folder veiwer/explorer be added as a Metro Tile ?
I think it also depends on which picture viewer is set as the default - the metro one or windows desktop one. Pretty sure the "proper" desktop one will view pictures in any folder as it did in Win7 and previous versions. The Metro one is locked down to your libraries only.

I hope most of these stupid annoyances are sorted out in Windows 8.1

dugimodo
02-05-2013, 09:32 AM
They are adding an all apps button to the start screen which will help mouse users like myself get to it a little easier. Almost replaces the start button.

I can see myself changing the default file associations to use desktop apps rather than metro ones though. I think the new apps are cool individually but they are not as user friendly for multi tasking and multiple screens in my opinion and while switching between them is not difficult it's a little slower when a metro app is involved in my opinion.

I do plan to bite the bullet and change completely at some point, as long as I have dual boot I'll never fully adopt 8.

kmanz
02-05-2013, 09:46 AM
Bringing back the start menu will probably encourage more people to make the switch to windows 8.
I think its a smart move to bring it back

Speedy Gonzales
02-05-2013, 09:59 AM
If SP1 or whatever its called is free, I may think about reinstalling Win8 again. Only things it didnt work with were Paintshop Pro. It worked for so long, then kept telling me something had been modified. When I tried to run it. And I couldnt use it. And the cam app stopped working if I installed the videocard drivers

It doesnt matter if SP1 adds the start button back or not. Classicshell does a good enough job. At least it lets you boot to the desktop, and can bypass the metro screen. And the lock screen and the login screen can easily be killed / disabled

beetle
02-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Are there too many spoon fed monkeys on pf1? :p

I like W7............ but i cant really comment on W8 cos ive only used it in the shop...... wasnt put on me new machine, but i dont mind. im ok with W7 as i said...
but i think with Micro soft its upgrade and fade out of perfectly working progs is dumb...... :p

im not offended at all....im just another spoon fed monkey apparently :p

autechre
03-05-2013, 09:53 AM
If SP1 or whatever its called is free, I may think about reinstalling Win8 again.

Microsoft are effectively dropping service packs now. 8.1 will be an upgrade much like how Apple does it with OS X. I'd expect the update to be cheap ( ~$25 ) and usual price for those buying OEM or full retail.

Agent_24
03-05-2013, 12:22 PM
Microsoft are effectively dropping service packs now. 8.1 will be an upgrade much like how Apple does it with OS X. I'd expect the update to be cheap ( ~$25 ) and usual price for those buying OEM or full retail.

That just proves Windows 8 sales are miserable, or they'd be giving it away free.

SanChippy
06-05-2013, 10:45 PM
Many people who complain about W8 either have only had a go at it for a VERY short time, or not at all, or are to stupid to learn something new. ;).

This is the case with most people, in fact they are in worse situations. They haven't even tried Windows 8 for themselves yet, only read the apparent reviews, rumor, misgivings, and gossip about Windows 8 that it is hard to believe that anyone would actually buy a Windows 8 PC after hearing all that. I heard all that, but I had to decide for myself. And now here I am with a happy Windows 8 PC, and am probably better off than all of my friends, whom have chosen to stick with the 'acceptable' Windows 7, and thus I am seen as the black sheep. But, who said that I wouldn't benefit from this? While I have a faster OS than all of my friends, with intergration through all of my devices what am I to lose?

And, even Apple hasn't thought of an idea to match this integrated idea of UI. They have tried with their expose view, or something, but that hasn't come as far as Microsoft has decided to tread. Concerning this matter, IMO I think that business and enterprise user should embrace Windows 8, give their employees WP devices, and even a Surface, wouldn't that sort out the problem of people in these companies having to learn a new interface, when they are immersed in it all day? They are the ones that didn't take up on this missed opportunity, and they are probably paying the price. (and for those still using XP, I mean it, not just metaphorically.)

wainuitech
07-05-2013, 08:31 AM
That just proves Windows 8 sales are miserable, or they'd be giving it away free. Not really, looking at MAC's their upgrade pricing is cheap enough snow-leopard - Only $25 (http://store.apple.com/nz/product/MC573Z/A/mac-os-x-106-snow-leopard)

So by the comment sales are Miserable, meaning its a failure, that would put MAC's in the same boat ?? -- I think a few MAC operators would disagree there ;) :p
At the moment nobody knows what the cost will be for 8.1, or if its charged, or free if you already have W8 -- Its all speculation at the moment.

Edited: just found this:
Pricing

TBC. There are no details on pricing, but Windows Blue is expected to be low-cost much like Apple’s yearly Mac OS X upgrades, which retail at $30 per licence.

Read more: http://www.itpro.co.uk/desktop-software/19622/windows-blue-81-release-date-price-and-features#ixzz2SXxzyDf0

dugimodo
07-05-2013, 09:41 AM
Well I decided to bite the bullet and stay entirely in windows 8 for the weekend starting friday. With some of the tips I've learnt from these forums I have to admit it's growing on me. I guess my biggest gripe now is there are no visual indicators to show you how to do things so you have to use help or google how to do things for a while until it becomes familiar. I lasted until sunday afternoon no problems at all, switched back to 7 just because I haven't installed all my games on 8 yet.

The sticking point now is I installed 8 on my old 120Gb SSD and 7 is on my newer faster 256Gb SSD so going back to a single OS means some drive shuffling and probably reinstalling and re-activating 8 again. I tried cloning 8 from a hdd (from my first trial install of 8) to the SSD it's on now and that failed to boot I think because 8 ties itself to the drive it's installed on and when I re-installed it the media centre key de-activated windows so I had to ring MS. No real drama just not in a hurry to do it again.

I'm thinking I'll Image my windows 7 install onto a spare drive for storage, wipe the 256Gb SSD and start again with 8. Any one know if it's easy to do a clean install of windows 8 with the upgrade version or if I should leave 7 on so that 8 sees something to upgrade? If I do go over top is there an option to wipe the drive completely as part of the install? I'd rather start over than install over top.

pcuser42
07-05-2013, 10:06 AM
I'm thinking I'll Image my windows 7 install onto a spare drive for storage, wipe the 256Gb SSD and start again with 8. Any one know if it's easy to do a clean install of windows 8 with the upgrade version or if I should leave 7 on so that 8 sees something to upgrade? If I do go over top is there an option to wipe the drive completely as part of the install? I'd rather start over than install over top.

Not sure about 8, Windows 7 let you do a clean install with an upgrade key as long as there was an eligible OS installed (XP or Vista) - it checked for an OS before formatting. Assume 8 is the same. (My copy of 8 is a full version.)

wainuitech
07-05-2013, 10:19 AM
Any one know if it's easy to do a clean install of windows 8 with the upgrade version or if I should leave 7 on so that 8 sees something to upgrade? If I do go over top is there an option to wipe the drive completely as part of the install? I'd rather start over than install over top. You can do a fresh install of Windows 8 with the Upgrade DVD, its goes in like any other install, no need to have another OS present.

Yes you have the option to wipe any other partitions/installations as per normal.

The only catch is sometimes it will boot directly to the desktop ( some may like that ) :) but if it does that it also wont activate.

Theres a quick reg change to fix that, once that's done away it goes - all as it should.

The "Alteration" if it boots to the desktop / wont activate.

• Open regedit by pressing Windows-q, entering regedit and selecting the result from the list of hits.
• Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE/Software/Microsoft/Windows/CurrentVersion/Setup/OOBE/
• Change MediaBootInstall from 1 to 0
• Go back to the start screen and enter cmd there.
• Right-click Command Prompt and select to run it as administrator.
• Type slmgr /rearm on the command line and hit enter.
• Reboot Windows now.
• Run the activation utility afterwards, enter your product key to activate Windows

Note: the last one generally isn't required fully, you just right click Computer/Properties, down the bottom - Activate.

07-05-2013, 10:23 AM
almost quoteth
"they only people who complain about Windows Vista & ME are those who havnt tried it or are too stupid to learn something new"
oh.... wait ....er

MS expected the masses to being queing up to upgrade to Win8 .
That never happened. Product was a relative failure , MS Management will be looking at relatively very poor sales & will take action. MS staff will be looking at missing bonuses & will take action .
After all Win7 was just a tweaking of Vista. MS will just tweak Win8 to keep the masses happy.

pcuser42
07-05-2013, 10:36 AM
MS will just tweak Win8 to keep the masses happy.

And that's what Windows 8.1 is ;)

WarNox
07-05-2013, 11:40 AM
I've been using W8 for a few months now on my work PC and have opted to get Win 7 on a personal laptop I just bought.

A few things that I don't like with W8.

1. The Network menu on the right hand side of the screen is completely useless. I don't see why you can't right click and edit connections there, add a new VPN connection etc. And getting to the location where you can 'Change adapter settings' takes too many clicks. At least WIN+X speeds that up slightly.

2. When I install a new program (and don't add a shortcut to the Desktop), I can't just browse the usual start menu. I have to go through the 'apps menu' which doesn't seem to list everything that's in 'C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs\' for some reason.

3. The search function in the start menu is for some reason split into categories (Apps, Settings, Files). Why are apps and settings not combined? Stupid imo.

I do like the file copy dialogue box, task manager and how W8 can read MKV files but I'll stick with Win7 for now.

Just my 2c...

07-05-2013, 12:17 PM
So is the start button coming back or not with 8.1 ??
probably not

http://www.infoworld.com/t/microsoft-windows/leaked-windows-81-build-9374-disappoints-start-button-fans-216968

" Many of us hoped that Microsoft would, in fact, bring back the whole desktop Start menu, button and all. Not so, says Tom Warren on The Verge. Citing unnamed "sources familiar with Microsoft's plans," Warren says Windows 8.1 will include a Start button -- but "the button will act as a method to simply access the Start Screen, and will not include the traditional Start Menu." Yes, you read that correctly. If Warren's right, Microsoft is knocking itself out to put a Windows logo on the left edge of the taskbar. Click on the logo, and you get hurled into the Metro Start screen. "

pcuser42
07-05-2013, 12:38 PM
3. The search function in the start menu is for some reason split into categories (Apps, Settings, Files). Why are apps and settings not combined? Stupid imo. Personally I prefer it this way. As an example, many programs would put a link to their own updaters in the Start menu: in Windows 7, this meant Windows Update (which I'll actually use) gets lost in the search results. With Windows 8, I just press Windows+W and type "update", and Windows Update always comes up. :2cents: