PDA

View Full Version : Random Keyboard issueds in linux

23-11-2001, 07:26 PM
Hi,

When running under linux, the apostrophe key only works the second time you hit it. No it's not a sticky or malfunctioning key, becuase it works the second time everytime. Not only that, but when you've pressed it the next key you press regardless of what key it is, doesn work either. After that it comes right again. I'll give you an example of what I mean. Here's what happens if I type uncorrected:

Il (I'll)
Youl (you'll)
Ie (I've)

I've got into the habbit of pressing that key twice in quick succession, but it really ain good... How do you reckon I could fix it?

Thx:)

23-11-2001, 08:39 PM
Are you 100% sure you picked the correct keyboard during setup, if you picked one specific to yours, the driver may be buggy, try installig drivers for another type eg. generic USA 101.
Keep trying until you get it right.
Remember most of these drivers are written by volunteers and don't really go through thorough testing in all environments so some may be a bit buggy.

23-11-2001, 11:45 PM
I remember when installing Red Hat 7.1 that in the keyboard setup part you could choose to enable, I think it was called 'Dead Keys'

24-11-2001, 02:57 PM
looks like you're entering the French e-grave character ... so since there isn't a NZ keyboard layout, try selecting the US keyboard which will be the best for common use.

I have got a set of four 3.5' floppies which was distributed as the user software for a Portugese ISP.

Installs (in about 10MB) a complete Linux, with browser etc. But it installed the Portugese keyboard. I had to look up the key equivalents so that I could use vi to edit the rc.? file to fix it.