PDA

View Full Version : Problems with Canoscan 9000F re-instal

Billy T
28-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Usual story, if it ain't broke, don't try to fix it!

I was needing to scan some documents to printer, and when the scanner opened up, for some inexplicable reason I decided to click an innocent looking box that was asking if I wanted some action to occur automatically at switch on. Of course the message then disappeared and would not come back, so I couldn't back-track.

This was the start of what would be a comedy of errors if it were not so damned frustrating. In essence the scanner stopped responding and MPNavigatorEX3.1 (mpnex31.exe) stopped responding. After some extensive tail-chasing I finally managed to trace and shut down the exe file and managed to delete it, then I rebooted and reran the instal disk, but found that mpnex31.exe was still running and I could not scan to printer.

I have since used add/remove programs to uninstall the three main exe files (Zoom Browser.exe, Solution menu\cnsmain.exe and MPNavigatorEX3.1\mpnex31.exe) in the hope that this would also delete any registry entries I may have inadvertently changed, and rebooted.

The came the question: in the absence of any installtion instructions, do I install the software with the scanner off, or with it on?

My guess is with it off, but I've wasted so many hours now that I think it better to check first.

All this is on top of a lost week caused by a boot failure problem, but that will be a separate thread, to follow shortly.

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :waughh:

Agent_24
28-04-2013, 05:22 PM
Last time I installed a scanner it wanted it to be connected while installing, but I'm sure it varies between brands and models.

PPp
28-04-2013, 10:26 PM
Doesn't matter(I think), but I would uninstall it all over again, with Revo uninstaller, to make sure no settings were left, then start all over.

Jayess64
28-04-2013, 10:58 PM
Sorry you're having problems with what I have found to be a very nice scanner. According to the manual (which of course is supplied as a pdf file - who reads them?) the uninstall procedure is:

1 From the Start menu select All Programs > CanoScan 9000F > Scanner Driver Uninstaller
2 Delete ScanGear
3 When all files are deleted, click Complete.

I have never needed to do this, but going through the menus I see the steps they describe.

To install the software, switch off the scanner and disconnect the USB cable. Install the software, and when the installation is complete re-connect the scanner and switch it on.

The odd prayer or two won't go amiss...

Billy T
28-04-2013, 11:37 PM
Sorry you're having problems with what I have found to be a very nice scanner. According to the manual (which of course is supplied as a pdf file - who reads them?) the uninstall procedure is:

1 From the Start menu select All Programs > CanoScan 9000F > Scanner Driver Uninstaller
2 Delete ScanGear
3 When all files are deleted, click Complete.

I did have the on-screen manual and did an extensive search for a PDF on the installation disk and on the web but found none. (A link would be much appreciated.)

I came back to the Forum too late to read your post, but I have fixed it anyway.

I used Revo to uninstall the program per PPp's advice, left the scanner connected and on, then reran the install and it is now back to normal.

I have tactfully omitted any reference to the series of minor blunders I managed to include in that process, but all's well that ends well.

I am hugely embarrassed though, for an entirely different reason. I had hammered it into Billy Jnr that he had to take his time when installing or configuring programs, and pointed out many times that the faster he went, the more stuff-ups he could create in the limited time he had left to finish his assignment or whatever, and the longer it would take for me to unravel the mess.

Now I must confess that I myself fell prey to that same 'act in haste, regret at leisure' in my attempts to get a document scanned to printer.

It has only taken four or five hours to copy one A4 sheet!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :blush::blush::blush:

Jayess64
29-04-2013, 10:52 AM
I did have the on-screen manual and did an extensive search for a PDF on the installation disk and on the web but found none. (A link would be much appreciated.)

I came back to the Forum too late to read your post, but I have fixed it anyway.

I used Revo to uninstall the program per PPp's advice, left the scanner connected and on, then reran the install and it is now back to normal.

I have tactfully omitted any reference to the series of minor blunders I managed to include in that process, but all's well that ends well.

I am hugely embarrassed though, for an entirely different reason. I had hammered it into Billy Jnr that he had to take his time when installing or configuring programs, and pointed out many times that the faster he went, the more stuff-ups he could create in the limited time he had left to finish his assignment or whatever, and the longer it would take for me to unravel the mess.

Now I must confess that I myself fell prey to that same 'act in haste, regret at leisure' in my attempts to get a document scanned to printer.

It has only taken four or five hours to copy one A4 sheet!

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :blush::blush::blush:

Good to hear you got it going again. I boobed with the manual pdf reference. You're right, there isn't a pdf. I hate on-screen manuals enough to go through the pain (& expense) of printing it out - all 325 pages!

Billy T
29-04-2013, 06:47 PM
What gets me, and I find particularly annoying, is that one ambiguous and ill-defined tick-box option offered every time the the program is opened could possibly create so much havoc!

Once I finally found out that MP Navigator EX 3.1\mpnex31.exe was actually running, I could find no way to shut it down, it didn't appear on screen, in running tasks, or in processes, if I restarted Windows, it restarted as well, I shut down everything I could find then tried to reinstall but that didn't work, and it seemed to kill off virtually all scanner functionality, though I didn't try to plumb the full depths of the scan problem because I was more interested in shutting the errant process down.

Never mind, I had another Microsoft Computer Services Virus scam call this afternoon and it took only 5 minutes of obfuscation before she got quite irate about me wasting her time and hung up on me, so that made me feel much better, usually it is the other way aound. She was Asian, not Indian (yes, I know India counts as Asian) so maybe Asians are less patient! :devil

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :D

nedkelly
01-05-2013, 12:08 AM
If you do ring Canon, dont be mean to us, we are only on the shore. :D

Billy T
01-05-2013, 12:11 PM
If you do ring Canon, dont be mean to us, we are only on the shore. :D Nah, no chance! Canon are ex-clients of mine and in business I have one unbreakable rule: Never say anything bad about a client or their products, for any reason or in any context! I've had an unbroken sequence of Canon inkjet printers and a Canon photocopier, however this is my first Canon scanner and apart from the software glitch I am very happy with it.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)