PDA

View Full Version : Budget Gaming

darkoverlord123
28-04-2013, 04:16 PM
Hi, I have a budget of $1100 and I want a PC for gaming, please do not advise building one, as I am rushed for time.
I am looking at playing BF3, and other intensive FPS games. Thanks

Agent_24
28-04-2013, 04:51 PM
Building your own is the only real way to get high performance for cheap though

Slankydudl
28-04-2013, 06:33 PM
Places like computer lounge will build for you with relatively little additional cost... I believe they even have it for free sometimes.

icow
28-04-2013, 07:45 PM
Most places charge around $100 for a build. I however have seen computer lounge give quotes for prebuilt systems at the same price as the components individually. Surely you could find half an hour to put a system together yourself? Its not exactly a massively time consuming task.

Chilling_Silence
28-04-2013, 07:46 PM
Rule of thumb: spend 3-4x on your graphics card than you do on your CPU.

Also, start with 4GB of RAM. Its cheap but if you're on a budget then you can always upgrade later IF you need it. As it stands, currently, 4GB is more than ample for current gaming needs.

dugimodo
29-04-2013, 11:06 AM
At $1100 you are probably looking at a quad core AMD or a dual core i3, 4Gb of RAM and the best graphics card you can squeeze into the budget. Pre- built gaming machines are seldom actually very good for gaming, especially at your kind of budget.

You are far better contacting a supplier like suggested and discussing your requirements and budget and having them build it for you. If that's too slow for you just go into a shop and buy something, post the specs or model here first if you need help choosing.

Just be aware you wont get the best machine for your purpose that way. PC gaming is a niche enthusiast market and not that well catered for in the name brand machines. Also it's an expensive hobby. I upgrade every couple of years or so and usually spend around 2k or more so I can always play games at high res.

Agent_24
29-04-2013, 12:36 PM
Another note, building a budget machine often sees people choose a cheap PSU. This is not a good idea. You will have to spend the money to get a good PSU, if you want the thing to last. Better to pay a bit more now than pay a whole lot more later if it blows up.

Trev
29-04-2013, 01:10 PM
Really, $1100 won't get you a gaming rig at all. Does that include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers modem ?
:)

pablo d
29-04-2013, 01:55 PM
Does that include a monitor, keyboard, mouse, speakers modem ?
:)this

Chilling_Silence
29-04-2013, 03:11 PM
Just be aware you wont get the best machine for your purpose that way. PC gaming is a niche enthusiast market and not that well catered for in the name brand machines. Also it's an expensive hobby. I upgrade every couple of years or so and usually spend around 2k or more so I can always play games at high res.

Agreed.

You get what you pay for. If you buy budget, expect budget. If you want quality, pay for quality, get quality parts. The two most important parts, as mentioned, are without a doubt your power supply and your GPU. Everything else comes after that!

I just threw down $650 for a graphics card. Best investment I've made in a long time!
Only down side was I had to upgrade my CPU in order to notice the difference... Was a bit gutted when I fired up LOTRO after putting in the new one, and it still sat at 105fps... It was a dual-core 3Ghz. Upgrade that to one of the cheaper 6-core AMDs, and now I'm happily gaming around 150fps!

The difference between my old rig and my new rig is that I can start bumping up the anti-aliasing and things quite happily, and also when a HUGE big fight is going on with spells and explosions and smoke flying everywhere, the framerate stays at a decent level.

jonovw
29-04-2013, 03:31 PM
you can easily build a full rig including monitor keyboard etc for $1100. you just wont get amazing graphics on every game.

dugimodo
29-04-2013, 03:51 PM
you can easily build a full rig including monitor keyboard etc for $1100. you just wont get amazing graphics on every game.I agree it's doable, just requires some smart choices. For example sticking with a smaller screen @ less than 1080p will let you game better on a cheaper graphics card. The higher the resolution you plan to game at the more graphics horsepower required.

icow
29-04-2013, 04:30 PM
You could get something like this built: http://nz.pcpartpicker.com/p/TJxd (psu is a place holder for this: http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1207582). You could also go the i3 route, I figured more cores would help out in newer games hence the 6300. You could also get a 660 instead of the 7850, I'm recommending the 7850 because I know how well it overclocks. If you needed a screen I'd ditch the SSD and maybe roll the cpu back to a quad core or even an APU? (don't know what the NZ prices are like on those), you could also ditch 4gb of ram if you needed to.

jonovw
29-04-2013, 05:09 PM
I agree it's doable, just requires some smart choices. For example sticking with a smaller screen @ less than 1080p will let you game better on a cheaper graphics card. The higher the resolution you plan to game at the more graphics horsepower required. I find when im gaming that the highest possilbe resolution is better than other graphics settings put higher. Everything just looks sharper and better.

pablo d
29-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Without a monitor or any other peripherals, $1100 could actually get an ok gaming system (would be even better without having to include an OS if you already have a licensed copy).

dugimodo
29-04-2013, 06:20 PM
I find when im gaming that the highest possilbe resolution is better than other graphics settings put higher. Everything just looks sharper and better.

Of course yes, LCD's do not scale well and only look good at native resolution. My point was not to get a monitor with too high of a native resolution to begin with. A 1440 x 900 monitor at native resolution will game more smoothly than a 1920 x 1080 one on a budget machine but will be smaller. On the other hand if you get a 1920 x 1080 monitor and have to reduce the resolution to make it run smoothly as you point out it will not look good.

Another note, while it's completely possible that you can get a reasonable gaming machine on that budget it will not likely be able to keep up with all new games that come out over the next 6-12 months. My expectation would be for a high end gaming machine to last 2-3 years without need for a major upgrade, a mid range machine to last 1-2 years, and a budget gamer to last 6-18 months. That's not to say they become useless, just that more and more new games will struggle or fail to run after that amount of time. On the other hand a good thing about PC gaming is the huge and cheap back catalogue of old games available without massive hardware requirements.

I'd call $3k plus (if spent wisely) high end, $1.5K - $3K mid range, and <$1500 budget gaming. That's very rough though, by picking and choosing parts you can sometimes build a sub $2k machine that will game as good as most high end rigs. It might seem cheaper to get a budget machine, but if you game a lot over a period of years it can end up costing more. Depends on your situation of course.

Agent_24
29-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Of course yes, LCD's do not scale well and only look good at native resolution.

For gaming they aren't usually too bad at a lower resolution though as long as it's the same aspect ratio as the native resolution.