PDA

View Full Version : Trade Me Computers

Clod
28-04-2013, 10:17 AM
Thinking of upgrading my computer in a couple of months, I'm presuming the trade me dealers with over 2000 odd good feedback would be OK ?

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2013, 10:19 AM
If they dont have pirated versions of windows . They should be OK. Unless you format it after you buy it

gary67
28-04-2013, 10:25 AM
I wouldn't buy from TM much better to buy from Computer lounge or Ascent

wainuitech
28-04-2013, 10:28 AM
Another thing you have to be prepared for -- On Trademe, when something goes wrong with hardware,( All computers fail at some time) if still within a warranty what is the response like ? Are they going to suddenly clam up and don't want to know or take months to sort it ?

You also have to look at the bigger picture, shops these days don't have much of a markup on components, so if something is a lot cheaper than a genuine and well known shop you should be careful.

Agent_24
28-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I'm presuming the trade me dealers with over 2000 odd good feedback would be OK ?

Probably, assuming they also have a lack of bad feedback - but I would also advise to go with the known good shops like Computer Lounge, Ascent, Playtech instead.

icow
28-04-2013, 11:18 AM
They also often don't list the brand and model of the psus. This is generally because a cheap nasty one is used.

coldot
28-04-2013, 11:45 AM
In the past 8 years I have bought 3 desktop computers on TradeMe, All from the same reliable source. Second-hand, reconditioned. Only one problem a year later - it was easily fixed on a visit to the seller who did not charge. I have also recommended several friends to the same source and all were well satisfied. I suspect that the service I have received has been better than some of the reports I see about major retailers. And I've saved $$$ over the cost of new.

dugimodo
29-04-2013, 11:22 AM
It's always a bit of a gamble but generally the feedback is a good indicator. Be aware if it's an auction that can negate some of our consumer rights that protect us in the case of a normal retail sale. I'm not clear on the specifics.

I only buy the occasional cheap pc component on trademe, for my main machine I always go to a known supplier. That said I sell my old machines on trademe and consider them good deals for the buyer ( I sell relatively cheap to recover some of my new build costs and not to make a profit ).

8ftmetalhaed
29-04-2013, 06:16 PM
friend bought a TM pc just a little while back.
Was an OK deal for 800 bucks. Came with a windows trial but as a uni student he had a free key.
Was a gigabyte case with a bundled PSU, but the GPU wasn't a powerful one (geforce 325 or something from memory? dunno) so shouldn't stress it.
I suggested an SSD, new PSU and GPU as future upgrade options since everything else seems sweet as. The motherboard was a gigabyte one, so that's at least solid :)

02-05-2013, 04:27 PM
I just received a used Vid card I bought from a Trademe seller, a PC Repair Business

You would think a PC repair company would know that it should have been in an AntiStatic bag, not just wrapped in normal bubble wrap.
I tried to tell them this over the ph, they didnt seem to know what antistatic bags where.
Hmmn, from a PC repair business , not very good.

The card was faulty btw :-)

dugimodo
02-05-2013, 05:04 PM
Static is widely ignored by people who should know better, and not well understood by a great deal more.

For example how many times have you seen a card sitting on top of an anti static bag, only the inside has a metallic coating the outside is just plastic.

I'm convinced quite a few obscure faults and stability issues are the result of minor static damage caused by poor handling of sensitive components.

ChazTheGeek
02-05-2013, 05:11 PM
Don't buy old stuff. I only generally buy brand new parts on trade me from a reliable source. Like a trade me store.

Renegade
03-05-2013, 10:18 AM
I just received a used Vid card I bought from a Trademe seller, a PC Repair Business

You would think a PC repair company would know that it should have been in an AntiStatic bag, not just wrapped in normal bubble wrap.
I tried to tell them this over the ph, they didnt seem to know what antistatic bags where.
Hmmn, from a PC repair business , not very good.

The card was faulty btw :-)

I got some RAM that was wrapped in a paper towel once :lol:

Agent_24
03-05-2013, 10:37 AM
Farnell have done the opposite to me. Package things in ESD safe bags that don't even need it, like capacitors.