PDA

View Full Version : Documents on Flash drive

ianhnz
27-04-2013, 08:32 PM
My poor old lappy only has a 15 GB hard drive.

So I got me a 30 GB flash drive that I use for all my Documents and told Windows that too...

So, why is it Outlook Express won't allow me to move it's Store folder there?

It's sees it, but greyed out.

Sodden hard drive is so full, it's doesn't make a lot of Restore points. Only got 3 now.

And, no, before you ask I can't afford to upgrade.

Flash drive was a gift.

I tried to move as much as I can, to flash drive, but still pretty full. Just looked, 3.7 GB's free.

Using XP Pro SP # da de da.

:thanks

Ian

wainuitech
27-04-2013, 09:07 PM
Have a read of http://communities.vmware.com/thread/434597 Its along the same lines. ( read all of the thread)

May or may not help or work, it requires a reg alteration.

I'd be VERY careful moving the store folder to a USB drive, if the drive letter changes you're screwed.

You would be better off cleaning off some of the files on the computer to another USB drive than moving the store folder. They are cheap enough, under $20 for a 16GB drive

ianhnz
27-04-2013, 11:00 PM
Thanks, wainuitech.
I read what was on that website, but I'm not very comfortable playing around with the registry.
So, at this stage, I'll give that a miss.
Thanks for sharing it..

wainuitech
28-04-2013, 12:14 AM
No Problems :)

Jen
28-04-2013, 10:12 AM
Have you considered moving to another email program that gives you greater flexibility on where to save the folders? Such as Thunderbird.

ianhnz
28-04-2013, 03:51 PM
Have you considered moving to another email program that gives you greater flexibility on where to save the folders? Such as Thunderbird.

Yes I have had a looks see, at Thunderbird.
Been using Outlook Express for the last 15 to 20 years and now in the big 6 0's and getting hard to change.
I guess the next big change over is, maybe, going Linux's, as XP coming to an end.
All to much, for us oldies........

Agent_24
28-04-2013, 04:03 PM
Word of warning here, don't entrust all your documents to a single flash drive.

Cheap flash drives, the FAT file system and easily-unplugged USB doesn't make for a hugely reliable storage solution anyway. They also easy to lose or break.