PDA

View Full Version : USB port dropping out

linw
26-04-2013, 06:24 PM
After my new mobo (ASUS P8H77-M Pro) has been installed I have had two instances where a USB port failed to work with a given device. Once with a printer and once with a scanner. It works, however, with a different device plugged into the problem port. Restarting the PC gets it working again, also.

I sleep the PC rather than shut it down so it goes for a while without a restart. The printer and scanner get switched off when not used.

I have disabled the USB 'Allow the PC to power off the device to save power' to see whether this has any effect.

Anyone had any experience with this?

Speedy Gonzales
26-04-2013, 06:49 PM
What BIOS is on it?? Since it looks like there's 3 BIOS's that enhance compatibility with some USB devices. 0501, 0915, and 1005. 1101 is the latest BIOS

linw
28-04-2013, 10:22 AM
Thanks for the reminder, Speedy. Should have looked up BIOS updates.

Mine is only 0801 so I need to update it to 1101, especially as there are improvements to stability and Win 8 compatibility as well as USB mods.

Can't download the new BIOS ATM as asus.com is not working!

Cheers.

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2013, 10:42 AM
This works (http://www.asus.com/Motherboards/P8H77M_PRO/#support_Download)

linw
28-04-2013, 12:44 PM
Now updated but a couple of lessons learnt that may be useful for others. Make sure to download BIOS from NZ region site. asus.com will ask for region. I didn't do that firstup and, luckily, the BIOS update prog rejected the latest one (1101) I downloaded with a "Security verification failed" msge.

Because of this error I got onto the NZ regional site and downloaded all the 7 updates and entered them one by one. This time the 1101 loaded fine as did all the others.

Now, is it necessary to update all in sequence if no pre-requisite info is mentioned or should one just chuck the latest one on? I'm guessing the latter - it would have been quicker!

Speedy Gonzales
28-04-2013, 12:57 PM
You mean 7 BIOS updates?? Nope, just flash the latest one. I've never flashed all of them, just the latest one. And I've never had probs

Agent_24
28-04-2013, 02:50 PM
You only need to download and flash the latest ROM version, especially if you are using the supplied flashing software. A new ROM image replaces the entire contents of your BIOS EEPROM, there is no incremental update.

You MIGHT need to do a 2-step upgrade if you are using the in-built EZ-Flash program integrated with your current BIOS, AND it was outdated such that it couldn't handle the latest ROM somehow. Not likely to be the case, though! (Besides, you would see a warning message on download page if it were so)

The biggest thing to note is that you should avoid any Windows-based flashing software. You have a higher chance of things going wrong if you flash inside Windows. Boot from DOS floppy or USB etc, or use the BIOS inbuilt EZ-Flash.

linw
28-04-2013, 04:57 PM
I assumed I needed only flash the last one if no pre-requs were mentioned but that is when I got the security failure. At this point I wrongly thought I may need to go through all the updates. The in-built EZ-Flash is really good. I just downloaded the files to a USB drive and unzipped them to .CAP files.

If the USB problem has gone away I won't know whether it is the power setting change or the updated BIOS now! Don't think I am keen enough to change the power settings just to find out!

Thanks, guys.

dugimodo
29-04-2013, 11:13 AM
I have a thread here on a similar topic my P8-Z77 board has one USB 3 port thst continuosly drops off then reconnects with my flash drive. I've given up trying to fix it and just avoid that port.

Where did you find the power options? I'd like to try that.

Speedy Gonzales
29-04-2013, 11:18 AM
Device manager. It looks like the only place you can disable / untick it is under USB root hub (under USB controllers - dbl click on an entry then go to the power management tab). And the network adapters

linw
29-04-2013, 12:38 PM
Generic USB hub had power management as well.