PDA

View Full Version : Android Tablets

Driftwood
24-04-2013, 09:24 PM
I know this isnt the correct place to be asking this but I can't seem to get any helful advice fron the android forums.

We have two different Android tablets here which have been working fine for a couple of years.
Recently one of them will not access the android market or whatever it is called now.
Reason given is:

"Can't establish a reliable data connection to the server.
This could be a temporary problem or your phone may not be provisioned for data services. If it continues, call customer care."

The first sugested remedy was to uninstall any recent upgrades to the maket app.
This didn't help

The gmail account required, works fine on the other device & also on a Android mobile we have here so I know we are using the correct details there.
I can even open gmail on the problem device.

I have even tryed a factory reset but exept for loosing my downloaded apps, it didn't help.

The device is Flytouch 2 aka superpad.
The firmware version is 2.1

Chilling_Silence
24-04-2013, 10:33 PM
You're connected via your home WiFi?

I'd be inclined to force DNS to 8.8.4.4 and 8.8.8.8 (Google DNS) and see what happens then...

Driftwood
24-04-2013, 10:54 PM
Yes to using home wifi.

As to the DNS settings, not sure how or where to do that.

The Error Guy
24-04-2013, 11:06 PM
Cannot establish secure connection is usually related to having the SSL connection interrupted, this can be due to bad proxies or DNS. Others have suggested changes you can make with DNS, and I don't think it's proxy based since a reset *should* clear that up.

Try downloading and installing the New Play store .apk from here http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/04/09/download-completely-redesigned-latest-google-play-store-4-0-25/ and see if that works.

EDIT: DNS, go to settings -> WiFi -> press and hold on your WiFi name and choose manage/edit or something similar, then show advanced settings and enter the DNS IP's shown above.

Driftwood
25-04-2013, 11:35 AM
Just adding a bit more to the mix here.
This device can also be connected via a lan port but the problem is still the same.

Regarding accessing the DNS settings.
On this device, menu > system settings > Ethernet settings.
At this window you have to tick, use static IP to enable the DNS 1 & DNS 2.
When you put the tick in, there is a warning

"Wired network auto configuration failed"

I have tried the suggested DNS settings.
No change to problem but the onboard lan now dosent work.

Regarding downloading the new app.
Was the suggestion, to download it on another system & then transfer it to the problem device.

Driftwood
25-04-2013, 03:55 PM
An update on this problem.

I have managed to access the google play store via the default browser.
Have succeeded in loging in to my gmail account in browser.
I can now view the apps currently installed on this device.

They show up as apps installed on phone although this is not a phone.

If I attempt to update a currently installed app, nothing happens.
Comes up with a window saying, you are now updating (whatever) & dosent go any further.

Strange this device used to work ok but now dosent although is still set up the same.
Almost as if the new google play store software isn't compatable with it.

On the other hand we have this other older android tablet running on ver 1.6 which functions perfectly & will still access Android Market, App Market & Slatedroid Market from the original locations.