PDA

View Full Version : Parents need new tablet

nedkelly
23-04-2013, 11:54 PM
So my parents have one of those cheap and nasty tablets from Grabone and its driving them and me up the wall.
They just need a basic tablet with a Micro SD slot with capabilities to play video that they record from a Contour HD camera, I am currently looking at this one from the warehouse.
http://www.thewarehouse.co.nz/red/catalog/product/Nextbook-7-Inch-Premium-Android-4.0-Tablet-7SE-4GB?SKU=1682424

Has anyone bought it or know anyone that has?

Nick G
24-04-2013, 09:11 AM
A little bit more expensive, but what about either of these?
http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8141/asus-me172v-7-quot-android-tablet-white
http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XC8616/acer-b1-a71-touch-7-quot-tablet

Both well known brands, so probably more reliable.

Cicero
24-04-2013, 10:33 AM
I hope DS gives better service than here at Northwood Ch Ch.

Friend bought an iPhone from them, she is a complete novice and they wouldn't open the box on request.(To show her the basics)

That was it for me at this store.

Lurking
24-04-2013, 10:37 AM
Ci, that breaches the Fair Trading Act and negates the product as being new.

Lurking.

Cicero
24-04-2013, 10:48 AM
Ci, that breaches the Fair Trading Act and negates the product as being new.

Lurking.
That is tripe, as the phone proved to be faulty, she returned and got money back.

She then went to Vodaphone shop, got a 2 year guarantee , they opened box for her and gave her 20 mins of help.

Miami Steve
24-04-2013, 11:06 AM
I hope DS gives better service than here at Northwood Ch Ch.
Friend bought an iPhone from them, she is a complete novice and they wouldn't open the box on request.(To show her the basics)
That was it for me at this store.

Is that not an Apple policy? Had the same problem at JB Hifi when buying an iPod nano to replace an old iPod that had died. Salesperson refused to open the box to show us the nano in real life - just handed us Apple brochures and said "There you go". He inferred that they were not permitted to open the Apple products - though I have no idea why. Can anyone else confirm?

Cicero
24-04-2013, 01:29 PM
Is that not an Apple policy? Had the same problem at JB Hifi when buying an iPod nano to replace an old iPod that had died. Salesperson refused to open the box to show us the nano in real life - just handed us Apple brochures and said "There you go". He inferred that they were not permitted to open the Apple products - though I have no idea why. Can anyone else confirm?

I can only repeat, that is not the case in a Vodafone store.

Makes no sense at all.

Once you have purchased the phone it is yours, so you then permit the shop to open it.

Miami Steve
24-04-2013, 01:36 PM
I can only repeat, that is not the case in a Vodafone store.

Makes no sense at all.

Once you have purchased the phone it is yours, so you then permit the shop to open it.

You misunderstand. I had not bought the ipod. I was looking for a replacement for an old ipod and wanted to hold the nano and see how robust it felt, and also to see if it did everything I wanted. This was not permitted. I was allowed to see a plastic mockup with an image glued to it portraying what the screen would look like. This was supposed to allow me to make an educated decision on whether I wanted the product. Go figure.

Cicero
24-04-2013, 01:45 PM
You misunderstand. I had not bought the ipod. I was looking for a replacement for an old ipod and wanted to hold the nano and see how robust it felt, and also to see if it did everything I wanted. This was not permitted. I was allowed to see a plastic mockup with an image glued to it portraying what the screen would look like. This was supposed to allow me to make an educated decision on whether I wanted the product. Go figure.

Indeed a different cup of tea.

We went to buy from Hardly Normal, they wouldn't open a box unless we bought unit.

Just suggest to me that Apple have the their market by the short and curlies. Which is why I will always avoid where possible.

24-04-2013, 01:52 PM
And the shop is perfectly within its rights not to open packaging. Many, many items we buy, we dont open them up or try them out 1st.
This is nothing new, it was happening 30 years ago with records. A few shops(not many) refused to play a record before you bought it. These were the shops to buy records from as it was guaranteed to be unplayed (100% new) .

You are perfectly within your rights to walk out of the shop & buy elsewhere, or buy another product.
I had this when buying $100+ headphones, pretty import to see if they actually fit on my head comfortably, yet some shops wouldn't open any boxes. I bought them somewhere else.

Perhaps Apple & other stores see the Nano as a cheap throw away item & cant see the need for in store working demo units