PDA

View Full Version : Another XP networking problem

23-11-2001, 12:16 AM
Hi there.
I am having a little trouble networking my 2 PC's at home with XP.

All is fine when I am using a hub, but then if I change to using a crossover cable it becomes painfully slow.

I have tried manually configuring the IP addresses and subnet with no improvement, a different crossover made no difference.
I have tried installing the ipx/spx/netbios protocol with no improvement.

Hell I even resorted to letting the wizard do it's thing, with no improvement.

Whatever I do has no success using the crossovers, switch back to the hub and all is fine again apart from the fact my hub only supports 10mbps.

One computer is a P2 450 256mb ram with a Realtek RTL 8139 NIC & the other is a P3 933 512mb ram with a Realtek RTL 8139 NIC.

Any thoughts??

I get the feeling it must be the Crossover cable, but then I have tried 2.

23-11-2001, 02:33 AM
Oops,

By the way both computers are running Win XP Pro.

23-11-2001, 02:27 PM
I assume that you are trying to get 10/100 Mbps cards running at 100 without a fast hub. Are you setting up for autodetect, or forcing 100BaseT? Autodetect will probably work faster than what you are getting : 10 Mbps.

I STRONGLY doubt that 100BaseT will work with a crossover cable: It's pushing the limits of possibility with the twisted pair cabling. 100Mbps uses all four pairs of the cable, and the standard crossover only swaps two pairs. It will be that slow because there will be a lot of error detection, retrying, timeouts, etc.

Once you get to that sort of speed, it stops being cheap. Even 10BaseT and 10Base2 are fussiy about cabling. It is high technology. If you need 100, you'll have to spend the money.

23-11-2001, 04:21 PM
I am running 100Mb/s full duplex on a crossover now. Must be magic I guess. I would suggest cheap and nasty NICs are at fault in this case.

25-11-2001, 06:31 PM
A dicky cable can easily cause this - try another one. Or alternative network cards - Realteks are not really much good. There is no reason crossover should work at 100Mbit just fine - I did it for months until I added two new PCs and got a hub.

NZLcyclist
18-07-2003, 11:06 PM
Ummm you're lucky that you can get your 8139 to work in XP... I cant get mine to work. Even with the driver downloaded from realtek.com.tw.....where did u get your driver?

Brendon

godfather
18-07-2003, 11:15 PM
Given the original post is coming up two years old, its unlikely he will see your question.....is the "warning" on old posts not working I wonder....?