PDA

View Full Version : Need to upgrade my modem/router

jareemon
22-04-2013, 09:36 PM
Hey guys,
I'm on the market for some new home network equipment to enable wireless streaming of HD movies from a server to a couple TVs. I'm guessing I need wifi-ac for this, because the media files on the server are HD, at 10GB - 20GB per movie.
I need:

A quality, high-performance adsl2+ modem/router with wifi-ac and 3 antennas, and active cooling if possible
A high performance wifi-ac usb adapter, perhaps with an external antenna, for pc gaming, and moving large files to the server
A second wifi-ac usb adapter for media streaming to a 2nd PC from the server
A wifi-ac-ethernet adapter that will allow me to connect my ethernet TV to the wifi and stream HD media from the server

The server is running 2K8R2 with a xeon 3505, and will connect to the router via gigabit ethernet.
I know ethernet would be the best way to go for the other devices, but unfortunately that is just not an option in this situation.
If anyone has suggestions, especially for the ethernet tv, I'm all ears.
I'm also particularly interested in a modem/router recommendation from chilling_silence, if he's still around.
Thanks! :)

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2013, 09:56 PM
One of these (http://www.pcworld.com/article/262148/who_makes_the_best_802_11ac_router_we_review_the_o nly_5_models_available_today.html)

jareemon
22-04-2013, 10:07 PM
aw, I didn't realise there were so few available

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2013, 11:04 PM
I disagree on the need for .ac wireless.

Get yourself some solid setup with the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and a Draytek DV120, that'll do more than suffice :)

Most HD movies rarely go over 20mbps, so N-Wireless (Even operating at 20% capacity) is still more than sufficient.

jareemon
23-04-2013, 01:06 AM
I disagree on the need for .ac wireless.

Get yourself some solid setup with the TP-Link TL-WR1043ND and a Draytek DV120, that'll do more than suffice :)

Most HD movies rarely go over 20mbps, so N-Wireless (Even operating at 20% capacity) is still more than sufficient.
I'm glad to see you still recommend the dv120, but as for the router, if I go with wifi-n, would the ASUS RT-N66U be worthwhile?

Chilling_Silence
23-04-2013, 07:04 AM
Can't say I've tried that particular model, so personally I'd stick with the WL-WR1043ND and put Gargoyle on it. AFAIK though you CAN run Gargoyle on the RT-N66U as well though.

jareemon
29-04-2013, 06:20 PM
It looks like gargoyle isn't available for the rt-n66u, but DD-WRT is. Is this firmware as good as gargoyle?

Chilling_Silence
29-04-2013, 06:24 PM
Nope, can't stand DD-WRT personally.

Used it for a bit, it was cool for a while until I found something much better. Now, I wouldn't go back.

On top of that, there's a few things I specifically dislike about DD-WRT, I won't go into them, but yeah...

jareemon
29-04-2013, 07:11 PM
yea, well I've looked into it further and dd-wrt has issues on this model anyway. guess I'll stick with stock fw until gargoyle releases a compatible version.

Chilling_Silence
03-05-2013, 07:24 AM
Unfortunately you've discovered first hand one of the many reasons why I'm quite specific about what hardware / software combinations I like to recommend, it can be really "Hit and miss" with a lot of devices...

SolMiester
03-05-2013, 09:00 AM
One of these (http://www.pcworld.com/article/262148/who_makes_the_best_802_11ac_router_we_review_the_o nly_5_models_available_today.html)

I was looking at buying that for a client, however wanted a ADSL modem as well, however I really like the look of this router....got some great features...

Chilling_Silence
03-05-2013, 10:10 AM
Yeah I backed an Android based firmware for those routers too. Will definitely get one and have a play, eventually, but for now its not worth bothering with it so much considering no devices out there really support .ac wireless. It'll come, but my bets are that it'd be another 18 months away before it really starts to arrive in NZ.