PDA

View Full Version : External hard drive

Nick G
22-04-2013, 04:13 PM
My first time buying an external hard drive, to be used to back up my photos. What brands do I look for, and what ones to avoid?

Saw http://www.harveynorman.co.nz/seagate-2.5-expansion-500gb-hard-drive-3.0.html. which would suit me just fine (especially the cost!), but would it be reliable?

dugimodo
22-04-2013, 04:49 PM
Seagate is a good brand, should be fine. Plus they make the actual drives themselves unlike most brands of external drive. Western digital is good too but the encryption they use on some models can be a problem if the enclosure fails (unlikely but it does happen).

dugimodo
22-04-2013, 04:52 PM
Another note, I just buy cheap vantec enclosures and chuck a wd green drive in them myself, that way I know I can always install the drive internally in my pc if I decide to. If you transfer a lot consider esata or usb 3 if your system supports it.

Nick G
22-04-2013, 05:35 PM
Another note, I just buy cheap vantec enclosures and chuck a wd green drive in them myself, that way I know I can always install the drive internally in my pc if I decide to. If you transfer a lot consider esata or usb 3 if your system supports it.
Well, it's a laptop I use, so a 2.5 would fit in just fine. Laptop has a USB 3 port, the HDD I linked to is USB 3 capable, so all looks good,

The Error Guy
22-04-2013, 09:29 PM
Dugi has it spot on. You might have noticed a few of my rant threads around regarding WD drives and their encryption. The Drive and the USB board are encrypted so you can't use the drive without the board and vice versa. absolute PITA tbh, only affects their MyBook lineup though. Elements drives are good (no encryption)

WD and Seagate drives are the best, other brands have cases with HDD's from the likes of Toshiba/Samsung etc, nothing specifically wrong with that. But I prefer to buy direct from the HDD manufacturer. Makes things easy. Both WD and Seagate are pretty reliable.

$88 isn't bad, 2.5" is decent. Esp if it's USB 3. I used to exclusively use full size HDD's but they get damaged too fast when being moved around. The 2.5's are a tad more tolerant than desktop HDD's. Checked pricespy for something that fits your requirements?

Nick G
22-04-2013, 09:40 PM
Just did that :) - got three that matched, the Seagate was one of them. Will probably buy that, and then have to spend the next 5 hours or so actually organising my photos :D

The Error Guy
22-04-2013, 09:54 PM
Have to spend the next 5 hours or so actually organising my photos :D

I know the feeling! A few years and several thousand photos/negatives from a few hundred shoots/trips. Not fun!

Nick G
23-04-2013, 09:48 AM
I know the feeling! A few years and several thousand photos/negatives from a few hundred shoots/trips. Not fun!
My problems is I used to only take a few, so an 'animals' folder worked well for anything with an animal in it. Of course, when I upgraded my camera....the naming scheme didn't work so well ;) - so of course I did the smart thing and made a new naming scheme then *cough*. Ok, so I just chucked the photos anywhere with no naming or even organising system whatsoever :p

pcuser42
23-04-2013, 10:04 AM
My problems is I used to only take a few, so an 'animals' folder worked well for anything with an animal in it. Of course, when I upgraded my camera....the naming scheme didn't work so well ;) - so of course I did the smart thing and made a new naming scheme then *cough*. Ok, so I just chucked the photos anywhere with no naming or even organising system whatsoever :p

I just tag photos as I import them, I don't bother renaming and Photo Gallery sorts them into folders for me :p

Miami Steve
23-04-2013, 11:56 AM
Dugi has it spot on. You might have noticed a few of my rant threads around regarding WD drives and their encryption. The Drive and the USB board are encrypted so you can't use the drive without the board and vice versa. absolute PITA tbh, only affects their MyBook lineup though. Elements drives are good (no encryption)

Don't mean to hijack this thread, but would a failed controller account for why my WD MyBook drive is no longer visible to windows? I can see it in "Manage computer" but it is uninitialised and gives a write error if I try to initialise. WD Smartware informs me the drive is locked, but does not give me the option of entering a password to unlock (though I never password protected it anyway).

The Error Guy
23-04-2013, 02:04 PM
Don't mean to hijack this thread, but would a failed controller account for why my WD MyBook drive is no longer visible to windows? I can see it in "Manage computer" but it is uninitialised and gives a write error if I try to initialise. WD Smartware informs me the drive is locked, but does not give me the option of entering a password to unlock (though I never password protected it anyway).

Sounds like it, start a new thread or PM me and we can see what the deal is.

Nick G
24-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Ended up buying http://www.dicksmith.co.nz/product/XM2187/goflex-750gb-portable-hard-drive-usb-3-0