PDA

View Full Version : Lost Password

Namchuck
22-04-2013, 02:50 PM
Hi Folks,

I'm not only new here but posting in the hope of getting some help with my Samsung Y smartphone. All of a sudden, and out of the blue, my phone appears to have lost my password for gmail, denying me access to mail and a number of apps. Unlike my pc, there is no facility I can find on my phone to recover my password. Has anyone experienced this and discovered a solution? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Namchuck

CliveM
22-04-2013, 03:14 PM
Are you saying you do not know your gmail password? It will be the same as on your PC. Easy way would be to log into your gmail account on your PC and reset your gmail account password to something new then use your new password to log in to your account on your phone and you should be good to go.

kingdragonfly
22-04-2013, 03:25 PM
You mean your smartphone lost its gmail settings, right?

"Recovering a password" means you forgot the password, and you're trying it re-discover it (break) the password

Here's the user manual

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphone/GT-S5360MAATGY-support

Access the Settings menu
1 In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings.
2 Select a setting category and select an option.

Namchuck
22-04-2013, 05:30 PM
Are you saying you do not know your gmail password? It will be the same as on your PC. Easy way would be to log into your gmail account on your PC and reset your gmail account password to something new then use your new password to log in to your account on your phone and you should be good to go.

I just did that, CliveM, but, while I can get into my gmail account on my pc, my phone is still telling me that my password is "invalid". Really annoying. Thanks for your help, though.

Namchuck
22-04-2013, 05:37 PM
You mean your smartphone lost its gmail settings, right?

"Recovering a password" means you forgot the password, and you're trying it re-discover it (break) the password

Here's the user manual

http://www.samsung.com/hk_en/consumer/mobile/mobile-phones/smartphone/GT-S5360MAATGY-support

Access the Settings menu
1 In Idle mode, open the application list and select Settings.
2 Select a setting category and select an option.

Thanks kingdragonfly. I downloaded the manual but, unfortunately, I can get beyond the 'authentication error' in gmail! :horrified

Nick G
22-04-2013, 05:39 PM
I just did that, CliveM, but, while I can get into my gmail account on my pc, my phone is still telling me that my password is "invalid". Really annoying. Thanks for your help, though.
Is the phone connected to the internet? If not, it won't be able to check with the google servers and check the password has been updated.

If it's connected to wifi, try disabling wifi, enabling 3G, and try again. Sounds weird but it was what I had to do to get my old android connecting to google when I changed my google password.

Namchuck
22-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Is the phone connected to the internet? If not, it won't be able to check with the google servers and check the password has been updated.

If it's connected to wifi, try disabling wifi, enabling 3G, and try again. Sounds weird but it was what I had to do to get my old android connecting to google when I changed my google password.

I am connected to the internet, but I wonder if I have 3g on my phone? Where would I find it, or would I have to download it? You can probably tell I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to the phone. :cool:
Gmail just won't accept my password!

pcuser42
22-04-2013, 05:58 PM
I am connected to the internet, but I wonder if I have 3g on my phone? Where would I find it, or would I have to download it? You can probably tell I'm a bit of an amateur when it comes to the phone. :cool:

3G = cellular data, if your smartphone doesn't have it get in touch, I'd like to see one of those ;)

It'd be called mobile data in Settings or something along those lines.

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2013, 06:13 PM
3G = cellular data, if your smartphone doesn't have it get in touch, I'd like to see one of those ;)

It'd be called mobile data in Settings or something along those lines.

It's not so much that the phone "Won't have cellular data" but rather that the user is quite possibly on a prepaid plan that doesn't include any bundled and may not have sufficient credit to allow any to be used on an ad-hoc basis.

Connecting the phone to a WiFi connection would quickly rule out if that was the issue or not.

Nick G
22-04-2013, 06:17 PM
It'll be in you settings, disable wifi, enable 3G, and try again. Alternatively, disable 3G, enable wifi, and try that way.

NOTE - after trying it be sure to enable wifi and disable 3G again, otherwise you could get some nasty data charges (assuming you're not on a plan which includes data)

Namchuck
22-04-2013, 07:38 PM
Thanks everyone. Much appreciated. No luck yet, but I'll keep trying the possible solutions enumerated above.