PDA

View Full Version : Win8 Clean re-install

bk T
22-04-2013, 10:26 AM
Wish to do a clean reinstall (get rid of all the bloatware) of Win8 x64 to this HP notebook computer as it's badly infected with virus/malware. If I were to use the media created from the HP notebook, I'll bring back all the bloatware, which I wanted to avoid.

Question:

Can I use my Win8 Pro x64 DVD media (bought and downloaded when the special promo) to do the installation, noted that there isn't any COA Product Key stickere on the laptop?

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2013, 10:29 AM
You could probably use that Win8 DVD to do a clean install, but do you have a key to activate it??

CYaBro
22-04-2013, 10:45 AM
If it was a machine supplied with Windows 8 on it then the key will be in the UEFI BIOS and you won't have a key on the COA on the bottom of the laptop.
You should be able to use your DVD media and it should pick up the key automatically.

wainuitech
22-04-2013, 10:45 AM
Remove the battery and have a look look inside the battery compartment, they often put them in there these days.

Otherwise, the COA is meant to be embedded in the BIOS these days, and may activate and enter automatically.

One other forum from explains it quite well:
The BIOS contains a hash that tells the Windows 8 installer that it is licensed for a specific version of Windows 8 (Windows 8 or Windows 8 Pro). If you install (or reinstall) that licensed version, it simply "activates" because the hardware is activated for that version of Windows. If you install a version of Windows 8 that the hardware isn't licensed for, it won't activate automatically and you'll have to put in a product key.

So keep in mind if the laptop came with W8 PRO it should work, if it came with a straight W8 it may not activate as the key will be wrong.

pcuser42
22-04-2013, 10:55 AM
So keep in mind if the laptop came with W8 PRO it should work, if it came with a straight W8 it may not activate as the key will be wrong.

Is the universal disc still around, like Vista and 7?

bk T
22-04-2013, 10:57 AM
Remove the battery and have a look look inside the battery compartment, they often put them in there these days.

Otherwise, the COA is meant to be embedded in the BIOS these days, and may activate and enter automatically.

One other forum from explains it quite well:

No COA key in the Battery compartment.

The machine came with Windows 8 and my DVD media is Windows 8 Pro.

Last resort will be to reinstall from the recovery Partition with all the crap ware and then uninstall them one by one!

wainuitech
22-04-2013, 11:54 AM
Is the universal disc still around, like Vista and 7?
Apprantly you can BUT you need access to all versions to start with, you then need to download and run the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit, instructions here: http://www.windowsvalley.com/create-windows-8-aio-iso-dvd/

bk T
22-04-2013, 12:07 PM
Apprantly you can BUT you need access to all versions to start with, you then need to download and run the Windows Assessment and Deployment Kit, instructions here: http://www.windowsvalley.com/create-windows-8-aio-iso-dvd/

Interesting. Have you done and experimented it?

Speedy Gonzales
22-04-2013, 12:29 PM
I think this will do the same thing (http://www.joshcellsoftwares.com/2011/09/WinAIOMaker.html). Let you create / make AIO dvds. Dont know if it works with Win8 tho

wainuitech
22-04-2013, 01:01 PM
Interesting. Have you done and experimented it? Nope never tried it, as I have the ISO files or DVD's/ Upgrades. The upgrade was the Pro Versions, the shop installs on laptops could be either W8 or W8 pro.

Might give a go at some stage, as I have all the software installed.

The Error Guy
22-04-2013, 01:28 PM
Just a thought, what happends if you install windows 8 via recovery media and then "refresh" windows? Or will it just return with the bloat still intact?

Iantech
22-04-2013, 01:46 PM
There was a work around on Win 7 machines that when it came to installing the HP software after the main OS installation, you could press F4 or F2 or something and it bypassed installing all the HP and other rubbish (such as nortons trial etc). I have posted it here somewhere well over a year ago at a guess but have forgotten which exact key or key combo to press sorry.
Sorry, that wasn't really very helpful lol, Im sure it was F4 - I think... :)

bk T
22-04-2013, 01:51 PM
There was a work around on Win 7 machines that when it came to installing the HP software after the main OS installation, you could press F4 or F2 or something and it bypassed installing all the HP and other rubbish (such as nortons trial etc). .. :)

Press F4 at which stage?

pcuser42
22-04-2013, 01:52 PM
Just a thought, what happends if you install windows 8 via recovery media and then "refresh" windows? Or will it just return with the bloat still intact?

Depends on what's in the image the OEM creates. ;)

Iantech
22-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Press F4 at which stage?It will complete the main OS installation and reboot. After it has rebooted, it then prompted you to install all the HP rubbish, it was a big splash screen that filled the screen and there was never a button to exit or anything from it, you were basically forced to install it, but a guy at another computer co I was talking to told me the work around, I used it a number of times when setting up new HP laptops for clients, it was good and gave a pretty clean install without all the HP this and that. If its still similar, you cant miss it.

bk T
22-04-2013, 02:27 PM
Thank You All