PDA

View Full Version : windows live mail

beetle
21-04-2013, 12:09 AM
apparently OE is done and dusted and is no more.............so this new fangled puter has windows live mail for email......... i have managed to get it to collect my gmail emails........ but it has a preview pane....i cannot seem to find a tick or option to get rid of preview being on........ and the help instructions do not seem to have this either....i could be looking for the very wrong words but alas...... i am tired, it has been a long day and a few weeks without emails meant heaps to collect lol

is any body able to enlighten me on this prog?

i have yet to try and get it collecting the other family members emails or the isp emails...we shall attempt that tomorow.

wainuitech
21-04-2013, 12:25 AM
Open the mail along the top are the words / Tabs, Home Folders, View , Accounts.

Click on View , look for the Wording "Reading Pane" Theres a drop down Arrow with options;

beetle
21-04-2013, 12:51 AM
Thank you..............:)

got tired eyes...and missed it......

beetle
21-04-2013, 12:57 PM
ok got one more question so far about this prog.............. i want to be able to minimise it and have it sitting in the tray, but i want it to not be a tab? so it runs when we online, but is not taking up tray space??? make sense?
so its just sort of hiding in the back ground like i did with OE but still running and checking for new mail....

wainuitech
21-04-2013, 03:17 PM
Have a read of minimize-windows-live-mail-to-the-system-tray-in-windows-7/ (http://www.howtogeek.com/howto/19438/minimize-windows-live-mail-to-the-system-tray-in-windows-7/) - Just tried it and it worked fined.

They are slightly off with the Location though in the programs Menu, if you right click on the desktop Icon/Properties/Compatibility mode, it does the same thing.

Lurking
21-04-2013, 03:28 PM
Wifey has this on her W7 pc, bl**dy awful to follow.

Lurking.

wainuitech
21-04-2013, 03:41 PM
Heres a slightly better description on how to do it :http://www.groovypost.com/howto/microsoft/hide-windows-live-mail-minimized-system-tray-icon-windows-7/

Care to explain ?? Considering the layout is basically Outlook, and that's easy enough.

At least its not like chunderbird that causes all sorts of problems and corrupts often ;)

gary67
21-04-2013, 04:25 PM
ok got one more question so far about this prog.............. i want to be able to minimise it and have it sitting in the tray, but i want it to not be a tab? so it runs when we online, but is not taking up tray space??? make sense?
so its just sort of hiding in the back ground like i did with OE but still running and checking for new mail....

you mean minimise to the quick start area or tray notifications its also called. I have my work Outlook set to do this as I need the space for open tabs

Lurking
21-04-2013, 11:32 PM

Care to explain ?? Considering the layout is basically Outlook, and that's easy enough.

At least its not like chunderbird that causes all sorts of problems and corrupts often ;)

Someone has taken away her Hotmail facility and replaced it with this "Live thingy", think it was the Forward function over at the top right corner that is confusing.

Lurking.

beetle
22-04-2013, 09:27 AM
Ok thanks peeps will have a look later when i have time and am not fighting over who's turn its it on the comp.

Just a side note, there wont be anything safely sitting in gmail........as i have a habit of once its downloaded to my comp, save it if its important and then delete the rest and delete off web mail as well............ so if poor peach cannot be resurected those emails have gone to computer heaven...lol

I miss OE it was so simple and easy........ :( live mail has far toooooooooooooo many options......:(

why is it we get told here on pf1 ....if it aint broke dont fix it we want our machines to stay alive...lol ....but microsoft / windows just have to fix and change everything?

wainuitech
22-04-2013, 09:34 AM
peach cannot be resurected those emails have gone to computer heaven...lol Guess you didn't read your mail I sent to gmail :p Your mails on peach are all perfectly fine and recoverable. Along with the address book and account details of all user that I emailed :D

Driftwood
22-04-2013, 09:37 AM
You could try the 2009 version.
It's a bit more basic.
Has less buttons.

beetle
22-04-2013, 01:23 PM
Yes i did read my email.......... and yes i did import my contacts etc.........

sometimes i even actually listen to other peoples advice........... whether i actually take it is another subject entirely..lol
:p

just depends on if we (by me im most likely meaning you :p) want to or can be bothered recover them from HD and get them onto new machine.......
i have no qualms about anything being lost...... i just not sure it is worth the effort.... at moment everything is a great effort...lol will be a early day home today ......to die quietly and try not to get up and sit in front of new toy for a long period of time...lol

wainuitech
22-04-2013, 01:56 PM
Recovering the emails is the easy part, mind you there is over 1 GB of them, so to large to email ( excuse the pun) :p Getting peach going again, thats another story :illogical Put it this way - I found the problem, but the solution is not that as clear.

beetle
22-04-2013, 04:53 PM
You found the problem.......................so it wasnt the operator causing problem.............lol

wainuitech
22-04-2013, 05:33 PM
Rest assured ( puts on business face - See profile Picture) it was NOT operator problems :D

beetle
22-04-2013, 05:49 PM
LOL musta been a first...........:p

i got the minimise thingy sorted thanks peeps................. after rereading the instructions a few times.:p it finally clicked....:)

beetle
25-04-2013, 08:34 PM
Ok while we are on the windows live crap................... why does it have so many folders? you have spam, starred, trash, inbox, important and the list just goes on...........

what do other peeps have and how do i get rid of them?

wainuitech
25-04-2013, 10:03 PM
:lol: Thats a bit of a pot calling the kettle black style comment, considering how many you have in your outlook express - ;) 17 separate sub folders off the Inbox, one of which is labeled "important" ( which is not a default one)

The default folders for Live mail as its installed are: Inbox , Drafts, Sent Items, Junkmail, Deleted Items , Infected (that is often created by antivirus Software) & Outbox.

Any others I think you better ask the kids as to who created them.

beetle
25-04-2013, 10:20 PM
pfffffffffft but at least they all come in and are seen in the same spot........... we have 4 email addys incoming and they all go to different folders then you have to decipher which one has a hiding unopened email.......
OE just made them all go into inbox, and then i sorted them............. any way i got rid of heaps............. you shoulda seen it before.............:p there shouldnt be much in each folder any way...... i deleted heaps...........

and yeah anyway i :p can throw my toys outa my cot sometimes..ive spent the last 3 days in bed sick with some flu thingy............. so i thought i did well.......i coulda said way worse.:p about live mail...:p

when i added my sons addy to windows live mail.........it picked up 4 thousand emails....... grrrhhh and my girls only 72?
i find its a bit laggy........... you delete it or move it and its slow.... i think its my connection that is laggy as if we watching on demand telly it stops completely and we have to refresh the page to carry on........

tis ok ya know telling the world............ about beetles emails idiosyncrasies ....if they didnt think i weird before they will very soon :p

ps : there is 41 different files / folders on windows live mail........... :O

wainuitech
25-04-2013, 10:27 PM
If you have lots of mails coming back in (4 thousand) then its likely the option to keep a copy on the server was ticked in outlook express. If this is the case then they will all come in again as the server looks for mail already in the mail box, and if its not there it usually redownloads again unless told to delete after so many days.

Having a lot of mail on the server is not a good idea either, as each person does have a limit, and when it gets to full you cant receive any more mails.

ps : there is 41 different files / folders on windows live mail........... :O They aren't the default ones then, someone has put them there.

On my office computer I have both Outlook and Live mail. The live mail gets on average 100 -150 / Day the only other folder that is there over and above the defaults is one I created, called Keep.

Each account by default only has the ones previously mentioned. Cant go blaming the program for something someone has added in.

beetle
25-04-2013, 10:38 PM
well i know i didnt put them there, and the kids dont even use the email prog...........

but for each diff email addy i have, which comes up seperate, they have at least 10 folders........... and for some reason it wont let me remove them, says IMAP needs changing?????????

and we dont have a WLM sign in........... we just use the emails, have not got any further with the make a sign in name whatever for WLM so.......i will need to do some searching........:( blind leading the blind cos i dont know how we did it to fix it........ or how to get rid of it..... i can see im gonna have to do some serious reading ........lucky me :p and we dont save anything to webmail server............as ive said before..i delete it almost straight away....

beetle
25-04-2013, 10:55 PM
gmail webmail appears to have all those extra folders, but if i hide or untick them, then LM throws a wobbly cos it cant find the folders to download........

wainuitech
25-04-2013, 10:59 PM
says IMAP needs changing Awhhhhhh you just explained it :) -- they are folders that have been created by gmail or any other web based mail used.

That also explains the "lagging " in the mail. IMAP is known to be laggy, as the mail program is syncing what you see on both the computers mail and web mail = lag.

Have a read ofhttp://www.geek.com/mobile/geek-101-pop-vs-imap-1536343/ and http://www.domainmonster.com/editorials/pop3-imap-guide/ -gives a basic examples.

I have a client that last week was trying to use IMAP, took over 3 hours to sync her web mail and outlook.

Live mail is doing what its been told to do (IMAP)

The problem is using IMAP instead of POP/POP3.

If you deleted the folders in the web mail they may delete in Live mail as well otherwise once deleted in Web mail, you can manually delete them.

See easier when the all the facts are presented :p

beetle
25-04-2013, 11:04 PM
pfffffffffffft nope not easier........... i have no idea what you just said............ i hardly use webmail at all so didnt know all those folders existed....... and me brain just aint understanding....... the gmail instructions telling me how to delete the labels.........just go pfffffffffft over and gone........... i will never be a geek....

why does the inbox be in a seperate list for each email addy and the gmail lines underneath then? :p

and so what should i be using? pop or imap?

wainuitech
25-04-2013, 11:23 PM
Live mail as well as Outlook creates separate accounts for each user.

In My outlook 2010, I have two, ones a business account the other is a personal account, that way any mail addressed to business goes to business, any mails relating to my personal account go to personal. A number appears beside the inbox to the amount of unread mails.

Both accounts run through Mailwasher first so I delete a lot before they even come through.

Live mail is another personal account and a backup Business account ( two accounts - different machines).

Personal Preference I 'd rather use POP3 if I can, but the Live mail is different again (Web based Live mail is now called Outlook.com)

Gave up on Gmail ages ago.

beetle
25-04-2013, 11:23 PM
ok so i delete remove or hide them on gmail webmail............. now go back and restart WLM and it freaks out cos it cannot find the all mail folders and so cannot send / receive or anything on any gmail accounts now cos they not there........? and i cant delete the all mail folder on my gmail account cos it says it isnt there to delete?

this is doing my head in......... gimmeeeee OE

i didnt give up on gmail cos for 8 months i had no phone, no internet, but i still needed a internet account...........:(

beetle
25-04-2013, 11:44 PM
Ready to put a hammer throught this program............. it wont let me change to pop, tomorow im gonna look for a new email prog......... cos this one is just doing my head in................
just want my OE back......... it was so easy, collected all emails into one folder, didnt throw woblies.....

:(

beetle
25-04-2013, 11:57 PM
ok seems to be working.....deleted some options in properties / imap............ and now it checks all emails and all get the green tick, and managed to get rid of the annoying quick veiw option at same time.......

i giving up for now............ its going, and im not touching it again for a long time.........:p
still on imap as i cant seem to get it to change to pop........

one more question............ what is goforfiles? popped up when wasnt expecting it. dont know what it is for.............. not likely to be with WLM ...updates? dunno

Thanks Wainui appreciate the help and the patience. :)

wainuitech
26-04-2013, 10:10 AM
The "problems" with the Email, it's not WLM, its because it was setup as IMAP, it wouldn't matter what email client was installed, if you use IMAP then the same would have happened.

As for Goforfiles, never heard of it before, but after reading what-is-goforfiles/ (http://www.community-feedback.com/topic/27867-what-is-goforfiles/) - its a It's a p2p download manager thats bundles with some software someone has installed. (Read the First two posts in that link) It was NOT installed when the PC was built, so someone has installed or downloaded something thats caused it.

The Free MSSE requested didn't stop it and it needs to be removed as it may cause other infections.Run Super antispyware in full scan mode thats installed, it may get rid of it.

beetle
26-04-2013, 11:17 AM
I thought you said it should be used as imap..............must have misheard........... ive never used IMAP before till this machine..... so want instructions to stop using imap and how to get pop to work if possible...... :(

Kidlet put a game on Robolix? downloaded it...... peach had it as well...... thats all he has added............. he has now been read the riot act........... and has not yet been banned for life but is close to it.......

and i will have to check it when i get home.......

thanks

wainuitech
26-04-2013, 11:46 AM
FYI : Peach is also infected with several trojans and other related malware that MSSE doesn't detect

Changing from IMAP to POP -- I cant test this as I dont have a Gmail account, So NO IDEA if it works or not, but I know POP is not on by default ( last time I looked, thats why IMAP was suggested, its easier to setup).

Have a read of Googles instructions (http://support.google.com/mail/troubleshooter/1668960?hl=en&from=86374&rd=1#ts=1665119)

Edited: click on the Windows Mail check button in the list to expand the pictures/instructions

beetle
26-04-2013, 11:53 AM
yip i expected that.

i dont think he gets it...............:( banning for life seems possible right now.......:(

linw
26-04-2013, 02:55 PM
POP in Gmail - Settings/Forwarding and POP/IMAP. All care but no responsibility!!