PDA

View Full Version : 27" monitor

Guerilla Surgeon
20-04-2013, 07:47 PM
Thinking of getting one. There's an Asus has 2560x1440 resolution. Could there be a problem with my computer not being able to handle this? Otherwise any recommendations?

Zippity
20-04-2013, 07:50 PM
ViewSonic has a nice model available :)

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA45891

inphinity
20-04-2013, 08:02 PM
ViewSonic has a nice model available :)

http://www.pp.co.nz/products.php?pp_id=AA45891

1920x1080 is, imo, far too low res to look good on a 27" panel.

Guerilla, the only issue could be if you have a very, very old PC that can't output 2560x1440, but if you have DVI or HDMI outputs it's extraordinarily unlikely. That said, if you plan on gaming, then you will need a pretty good spec box to run newer games at that res with good frame rates.

Guerilla Surgeon
20-04-2013, 08:27 PM
Just want to see 2 pages of word side by side with decent sized lettering. Won't be gaming anything but Civ. probably :-). Box is about 4 years old but recently upgraded, a so it should be OK?

Guerilla Surgeon
20-04-2013, 08:28 PM
Zippity -Thanks, it looks quite good for the price. I'll def. consider it :-).

dugimodo
21-04-2013, 11:12 AM
The resolution is a matter of preference and also it depends what you use it for. I have a 1920 x 1080 27" monitor and I Love it. I picked the lower res on purpose because I'm a gamer and even with a GTX 580 that cost me $800 I find I can only just max out all settings on some games, at a higher res I'd have to drop the settings on many of them and they'd look worse.

I find it looks good to me, and some people even find the default font size and text too small on the higher res monitor. If possible I'd recommend viewing screens at both resolutions in a store and then deciding rather than accepting our opinions as to which is better. If you want as much screen real estate as possible or to see a lot of text on screen at once the higher res is probably the way to go but for video playback and gaming I think 1080P is the best option unless you have a very high end graphics card.

Another note, when I first got my 27"monitor it seemed way too big and I had to push it all the way to the back of my desk to feel comfortable. Now I'm used to it I see it has crept back towards the front.

Guerilla Surgeon
22-04-2013, 08:57 PM
OK thanks. Lots to think about. Like how to get to SEE a higher res monitor. Most places seem really shy about 27", very few on display in Wellington anyway. But you're absolutely right, I shouldn't rush in, I have a tendency to do that :-).