PDA

View Full Version : Nexus 4

Cicero
20-04-2013, 01:11 PM
Am thinking seriously of getting one of these.

By now there should be lots of feed back, what do you think of said unit.

Do we know Fair Buy?

They have them for $565 16 gb.

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2013, 01:30 PM
That's not a bad price, they've come down nationally quite a bit.

Definitely get one, they're *fantastic* phones. I've imported 20 of them, so much so that Google have now stopped me buying any more from their online store :p

Cicero
20-04-2013, 01:38 PM

Definitely get one, they're *fantastic* phones. I've imported 20 of them, so much so that Google have now stopped me buying any more from their online store :p
2 questions, do we know Fair Buy, a Hong Kong company?

Do you have any for sale.

sahilcc7
20-04-2013, 01:50 PM
I got a Nexus 4 16GB a month two ago. Amazing phone, can't get it to lag unlike many other android devices I've used. Haven't heard of Fair Buy so can't help you there..

Alex B
20-04-2013, 01:59 PM

No one can seem to get them in anymore, they have got strict with their credit card requirements.

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2013, 02:18 PM
Oh? Damn :(

Jen
20-04-2013, 03:42 PM
My Nexus 4 is awesome. It is a slippery little thing due to the glass front and back, so if you have butter fingers you will have to be careful. Everyone loves the sharp graphics.

I see Fair Buy charge an additional $30 for postage so factor that in.

I have never heard of the company, but they list a physical address and landline phone number which is good.

Cicero
20-04-2013, 04:37 PM
Thanks all.

I will not pay $30 for a cell to Ch Ch.

Will pay a bit more for a local firm to supply.

Will have a look at options.

johcar
20-04-2013, 04:55 PM
Two degrees sell them...

You won't regret it Cicero - amazing phone!

paulw
20-04-2013, 05:16 PM
No one can seem to get them in anymore, they have got strict with their credit card requirements.

Which is a pain in the butt as the rest of the English speaking world can buy them from the Play Store but not us Kiwis. Screwed again and if you want one you have to go to a NZ retailer and pay about $800. But we all know we get ripped off living here. Even the Luddites in Tasmania can buy them from the Play Store cheap.

Cicero
20-04-2013, 06:23 PM
What should I ask for this on Trade me.?

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2744&c=samsung_gt-s5830t_galaxy_ace_samsung_cooper

And this ?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_c3300k_champ-3346.php

plod
20-04-2013, 06:26 PM

http://pdadb.net/index.php?m=specs&id=2744&c=samsung_gt-s5830t_galaxy_ace_samsung_cooper

And this ?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_c3300k_champ-3346.phpforgiveness.

Cicero
20-04-2013, 06:38 PM
forgiveness.

Do I need to go on bended knee?

plod
20-04-2013, 06:44 PM
Do I need to go on bended knee?not in front of priest I hope

johcar
20-04-2013, 07:12 PM

And this ?

http://www.gsmarena.com/samsung_c3300k_champ-3346.php

If you're not concerned with what you actually get for them, chuck them on at $10 start=reserve and see what happens.

I just sold a Defy this way - got $100...

Cicero
21-04-2013, 05:33 PM
If you're not concerned with what you actually get for them, chuck them on at $10 start=reserve and see what happens.

I just sold a Defy this way - got $100...

1st day offer so far $10.

The 4 is on the way.

Must remember not to talk to anyone with anything less.

johcar
21-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Where did you end up getting the 4 from?

Richard
21-04-2013, 06:12 PM
not in front of priest I hope

Nor a woman!

Cicero
21-04-2013, 06:16 PM
Nor a woman!

One always hope for the other way round Richard.

Just try to remember that far back.

Cicero
21-04-2013, 06:19 PM
Where did you end up getting the 4 from?

Don't tell J, Fair Buy.

Including a car charger, was still the least expensive.

Chilling_Silence
21-04-2013, 09:06 PM
Don't tell J, Fair Buy.

Including a car charger, was still the least expensive.

Cool! Let us know your thoughts when it arrives :)

Just keep in mind that the glass back is slippery if you place it down on a slope...

Cicero
22-04-2013, 06:01 AM
Cool! Let us know your thoughts when it arrives :)

Just keep in mind that the glass back is slippery if you place it down on a slope...Sounds like one of those covers should be considered.

I wonder which twerp came up with the idea of making it slippy.

johcar
22-04-2013, 07:11 AM
Sounds like one of those covers should be considered.I wonder which twerp came up with the idea of making it slippy.I used to think the same - even bought a protective cover for the back, but I've never fitted it. I couldn't cover it up as it is a thing of beauty. I just make sure I have a good hold of it when I pick it up or take it out of my pocket.

dugimodo
22-04-2013, 08:26 AM
http://pricespy.co.nz/product.php?p=1484309
Several suppliers under $600, never heard of any of them though.

Cicero
22-04-2013, 09:38 AM
I used to think the same - even bought a protective cover for the back, but I've never fitted it. I couldn't cover it up as it is a thing of beauty. I just make sure I have a good hold of it when I pick it up or take it out of my pocket.

Ooooooh I can't wait for the gasps of awe , I will practice taking it out in front of the likes of Richard, and watching the green effect.

lordnoddy
22-04-2013, 09:57 AM
+1 too all the feedback about the Nexus 4 - it is really amazing in both performance and look. Plus then you can sign up for Ingress and play one of the greatest games ever invented!

Chilling_Silence
22-04-2013, 10:21 AM
Yeah the slippery-ness is a side effect of the type of glass used I believe. It's only when you place it down, when holding it, it's *marvellous*! :)

Richard
22-04-2013, 11:10 AM
Ooooooh I can't wait for the gasps of awe , I will practice taking it out in front of the likes of Richard, and watching the green effect.

Please, please Cicero, don't get it out in front of me (nor behind me for that matter.) Oh you are awful.

Cicero
22-04-2013, 11:27 AM
Please, please Cicero, don't get it out in front of me (nor behind me for that matter.) Oh you are awful.

You see Richard, CS says holding it, it's *marvellous*! So, to stop the dropping of the chin, I am prepared to let you hold mine.:eek:

Cicero
24-04-2013, 10:28 AM
My 4 has not arrived, I am beside myself, three days now and still no sign.

I note they go on about it not having LTE, do you geeks feel deprived?

paulw
24-04-2013, 01:53 PM
Think I'll wait until Google IO in the next few weeks to see if they announce the Nexus 5.. Though with the N4 being available for under $600 it's tempting..

Cicero
24-04-2013, 02:00 PM
Think I'll wait until Google IO in the next few weeks to see if they announce the Nexus 5.. Though with the N4 being available for under $600 it's tempting..

If you can wait a bit longer, you can get the Nexus 6.

johcar
24-04-2013, 02:16 PM

Not at all.

LTE = faster data speeds = chewing through your cap that much faster (just because you can!). Until much larger, affordable mobile data caps are supplied with LTE-capable phones/tablets, I'm not concerned at all that my N4 hasn't got LTE. (In fact I believe it has, it's just disabled, because of too many flavours of LTE around the world)

Besides, in NZ at the moment, LTE has a very small footprint where it is available...

Cicero
24-04-2013, 02:38 PM
Oh thank god, I will sleep better tonight.

Nomad
24-04-2013, 03:38 PM

For me it's future proofing. I keep my devices for sometime plus when I go overseas, I can take advantage of it. But main cities in NZ are coming out probably within a year.

Jen
24-04-2013, 07:56 PM
My 4 has not arrived, I am beside myself, three days now and still no sign.You do realise they say on the website that goods are imported once ordered, and are not held in stock? That is why they charge $30 for postage.

Nomad
24-04-2013, 08:10 PM
Could just import it yourself from overseas ... they are a bit cheaper too. Like I got myself a LG E975, Saumsungs were a bit too popular. It was about 20% less than Trademe here and considerably lesser than the parallel import or NZ stock stores in NZ brick/motor shops. You might wanna consider the warranty void, cos it has to travel all the way back there and hopefully that Trademe seller who even some of the parallel import stores are still active (note - eTown has closed down).

Cicero
24-04-2013, 08:22 PM
You do realise they say on the website that goods are imported once ordered, and are not held in stock? That is why they charge $30 for postage.

Unlike you J, I never read these things. I know I should.

But it did say in their blerb that it had been posted next day.

Cicero
24-04-2013, 08:23 PM
Could just import it yourself from overseas ... they are a bit cheaper too. Like I got myself a LG E975, Saumsungs were a bit too popular. It was about 20% less than Trademe here and considerably lesser than the parallel import or NZ stock stores in NZ brick/motor shops. You might wanna consider the warranty void, cos it has to travel all the way back there and hopefully that Trademe seller who even some of the parallel import stores are still active (note - eTown has closed down).

Not a lot of use after the event.

Chilling_Silence
24-04-2013, 10:03 PM
I'm honestly not fussed about 4G in NZ in the slightest.

In the US, for $3 a day you can casually get unlimited data on prepaid...

That's useful if you're churning through a large amount of data. In NZ, we have like 500MB caps for the better part. 4G is a pointless waste at this stage until we can sort out our mobile data caps...

Cicero
27-04-2013, 09:33 AM
Current state of affairs, no sign of Nexus 4, and thinking of going into panic mode.

Richard
27-04-2013, 10:05 AM
Cic, did I read in the Herald this morning that Nexus 4 is being released in NZ at 9am today? Yours shouldn't be far away then. We'll expect a full report and review when you get it.

Nick G
27-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Cic, did I read in the Herald this morning that Nexus 4 is being released in NZ at 9am today? Yours shouldn't be far away then. We'll expect a full report and review when you get it.
Nexus 4 has been available in NZ stores for a while now....

Cicero
27-04-2013, 10:19 AM

It said it was sent on the 21'st, so in fingers crossed mode.

Richard
27-04-2013, 11:56 AM
My apols. It is the Galaxy S4 which is being released today.

plod
27-04-2013, 12:01 PM
My apols. It is the Galaxy S3s which is being released today.fixed for you

Cicero
27-04-2013, 12:04 PM

Right up with the play is our Richard.

johcar
27-04-2013, 12:04 PM

A mate of mine is paying Vodafone $250 a month for his mobile business plan (includes a subsidised iPhone 4S). He happened to wander into a 2Degrees store the other day and found they had a better plan for $100 less and they would throw in the S4!! Since he's getting pissed off with his iPhone (and Vodafone's poor customer service), I think he will be visiting a 2Degrees store today...

It will cost him around $700 to get out of the contract, but he'll get most of that back selling his crApple device on Trademe...

And he'll be saving $100 a month!!!

I'm not a big fan of 2D myself (being a Telecom customer - better 3G nationwide coverage, even in the sticks), but they have some VERY sharp plans at the moment!!

plod
27-04-2013, 12:17 PM
I'm not a big fan of 2D myself (being a Telecom customer - better 3G nationwide coverage, even in the sticks), but they have some VERY sharp plans at the moment!!Ive been with 2D for a while now, never had a problem with coverage till a year ago when the father inlaw moved semi rural. Telecom great coverage, almost have to stand on the roof to make a phone call, and forget about using data. Will be looking at moving shortly

gary67
27-04-2013, 08:40 PM
Boys boss went into to Vodafone in CHch and bought 45 Iphone 4's for his entire staff but bought the phones outright

plod
27-04-2013, 08:53 PM
Boys boss went into to Vodafone in CHch and bought 45 Iphone 4's for his entire staff but bought the phones outrightonly way to do it. Looking on telecoms site today. It seems if you have a home account you can get a phone 12months interest free, without signing a contract. Either have it on prepay or a non contract plan

paulw
28-04-2013, 10:19 AM
A mate of mine is paying Vodafone $250 a month for his mobile business plan (includes a subsidised iPhone 4S). He happened to wander into a 2Degrees store the other day and found they had a better plan for $100 less and they would throw in the S4!! Since he's getting pissed off with his iPhone (and Vodafone's poor customer service), I think he will be visiting a 2Degrees store today...

It will cost him around $700 to get out of the contract, but he'll get most of that back selling his crApple device on Trademe...

And he'll be saving $100 a month!!!

I'm not a big fan of 2D myself (being a Telecom customer - better 3G nationwide coverage, even in the sticks), but they have some VERY sharp plans at the moment!!

It will take about 7 months before he is saving $100 / month as he had a $700 ETF. Must have lots of spare cash lying around or is it a tax right off??

paulw
28-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Boys boss went into to Vodafone in CHch and bought 45 Iphone 4's for his entire staff but bought the phones outright

Did he ask the staff if they wanted an obsolete fashion accessory before he bought them??

gary67
28-04-2013, 10:29 AM
Did he ask the staff if they wanted an obsolete fashion accessory before he bought them??

Nope they had no choice, I'm not an Apple fan but they are better than the LG's they had

johcar
28-04-2013, 11:46 AM
It will take about 7 months before he is saving $100 / month as he had a $700 ETF. Must have lots of spare cash lying around or is it a tax right off??Yes it's a business phone, so potentially a tax write off. But he will start saving almost as soon as he sells it on TradeMe.

Cicero
03-05-2013, 11:08 AM
After much hand wring, my Nexus 4 arrived.

Where do you access text part of unit, can't see under phone.

johcar
03-05-2013, 12:05 PM
After much hand wring, my Nexus 4 arrived.

Where do you access text part of unit, can't see under phone.

Assuming you are talking about sending SMS?

There is a squarish green speech bubble icon with a smiley face for texting. Should be on the menu bar at the bottom of the screen...

Chilling_Silence
03-05-2013, 12:57 PM
Another thing to keep in mind Is at the bottom you have the circle with 6 squares in it. That's your main "Apps" button, you can access all your installed apps from there. You want "Messaging" for your texts, "People" for Contacts, and "Chrome" for internet :-)

Cicero
04-05-2013, 10:53 AM
I can't believe it, looking for my reply and not there, I will say again.

Thanks lads, I am getting there slowly.

I think I am going to like it.

Chilling_Silence
04-05-2013, 12:02 PM
No worries mate, if you get stuck just hit us up :-)

I'm sure you'll be fine

Geek4414
05-05-2013, 07:44 PM
Nexus 4 deal alert ...

http://www.androidpolice.com/2013/05/04/deal-alert-16gb-nexus-4-for-375-ships-internationally-and-could-be-cheaper-than-the-play-store/

Oops, just read the details, Australia is on the list but NZ is not. Bugger.

International
Google may not be selling the Nexus 4 in your country at all via the Play Store, in which case today's deal with shipping and import charges can still be cheaper compared to local retailers.
The seller for the eBay deal ships to United States, Canada, United Kingdom, Denmark, Romania, Slovakia, Bulgaria, Czech Republic, Finland, Hungary, Latvia, Lithuania, Malta, Estonia, Australia, Greece, Portugal, Cyprus, Slovenia, Japan, Sweden, and South Africa.
Each country has different shipping and import fees, so click on See details next in the Shipping area to see what they would be for you. For example, shipping to Denmark is $19.22 but estimated import charges are $87.73.
Again, your mileage may vary and it's ultimately up to you to decide if the deal is good for you. So, who's pulling the trigger?

paulw
05-05-2013, 07:58 PM
Yep. As usual we're treated as the tech 3rd world again. I see reports yesterday that the Nexus 5 will be a LG product as well. I bet we don't get access to that as well..

Chilling_Silence
05-05-2013, 11:10 PM
Hell yeah I'll be importing those too for family and friends, until Google prevents me yet again... :D

Its quite easy to get the N4 if you know how, well worth it for saving yourself $250 off the RRP, if you don't mind the wait for shipping.

Nomad
06-05-2013, 12:14 AM
I got my LG E975 via eBay in Asia who does free post. Got mine under a week while I tracked it as it passed thru 4 or so countries :D They sold N4s too and others ..

Chilling_Silence
06-05-2013, 07:45 PM
What were they charging for the N4 though? Coz you can land the N4 for ~$430 if you use YouShop (NZ Post) who are based out of Oregon, so no state Sales Tax!

Nomad
06-05-2013, 07:49 PM
About the same $430NZ to the door.

Chilling_Silence
06-05-2013, 08:12 PM
Wow that's not bad... wonder how on earth they make their $$?!

paulw
10-05-2013, 05:31 PM
I can't believe it, looking for my reply and not there, I will say again.

Thanks lads, I am getting there slowly.

I think I am going to like it.

What is your impression of this fone?? I'm thinking of buying one from Fair Buy..

Cicero
10-05-2013, 05:43 PM
What is your impression of this fone?? I'm thinking of buying one from Fair Buy..
So far, very good, once you sort out what is what, certainly the best I have had.
The phone is sent from Hong Kong, so be prepared for a wait.

$610 including postage and a car charger.
Very quick response from Sylvia in Auck.

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2013, 05:54 PM
You should get the wireless charging dock, that's *cool*!! :D

Induction Charging is so nice!

Cicero
10-05-2013, 06:11 PM
You should get the wireless charging dock, that's *cool*!! :D

Induction Charging is so nice!

Two questions, from wence did you get it and is that for 4 & 7 ?

Chilling_Silence
10-05-2013, 07:20 PM
Just the Nexus 4, unfortunately the Nexus 7 doesn't support inductive charging. I ordered all of mine straight from Google, cost about NZD$90 to land.

This apparently works as well, so basically you know how Apple made a whole big drama about "Hey look at our new charging cable, it's reverseable", well you can one-up them and not have *any* cable! :D

Try this perhaps for something local? http://www.playtech.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=39235&CATID=5&ID=20499&SID=555544701&ref=pricespy

plod
10-05-2013, 08:11 PM
Just the Nexus 4, unfortunately the Nexus 7 doesn't support inductive charging. I ordered all of mine straight from Google, cost about NZD$90 to land.

This apparently works as well, so basically you know how Apple made a whole big drama about "Hey look at our new charging cable, it's reverseable", well you can one-up them and not have *any* cable! :D

Try this perhaps for something local? http://www.playtech.co.nz/afa.asp?idWebPage=39235&CATID=5&ID=20499&SID=555544701&ref=pricespycome on chill, its almost a cradle.

Chilling_Silence
11-05-2013, 01:50 AM
Almost, except it's semi-generic and will work the things like some of the Nokia Lumia models as well ;)

paulw
11-05-2013, 03:40 PM
I was in HN today and had a play with the Nexus 4 , HTC One and lumia 920. Wifey likes the Windows phone but now I'm torn between the Nexus and the HTC One. Maybe the $400 price difference will be the decider..

Cicero
11-05-2013, 04:10 PM
I take it the HTC is the least expensive.

Can't be just $200 surely?

I paid $600 for the 4.

Chilling_Silence
11-05-2013, 06:17 PM
Nah the HTC One is closer to $1K

Cicero
11-05-2013, 06:36 PM
Nah the HTC One is closer to $1K
In which case he should have no problem choosing, if the 4 doesn't do, you have a problem.

paulw
19-05-2013, 07:51 PM
Just ordered the Nexus 4 today from Fairbuy. One thing. How do you back these things up?? I'm used to the likes of Samsung with the crappy Kies program. It does work though. Pix and videos are no problem but what about the fone configuration etc??

johcar
19-05-2013, 08:11 PM
What config do you want to back up - and why?

johcar
19-05-2013, 08:44 PM
In which case he should have no problem choosing, if the 4 doesn't do, you have a problem.

It seems we have converted a dead Roman politician to the dark side.... Mwahahaha!!!

Chilling_Silence
19-05-2013, 10:55 PM
Pictures / Videos are automatic through G+ Instant Upload.
Apps are reinstalled when you get a new phone, automatically.
Game progress might need something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.koushikdutta.backup&hl=en

paulw
20-05-2013, 09:37 AM
What config do you want to back up - and why?

Network settings. Exchange server email configuration and the like..

johcar
20-05-2013, 10:00 AM
Network settings. Exchange server email configuration and the like..

Network settings (i.e. carrier settings) are stored on the SIM (at least they are for XT).

For Exchange config - there's so little of it, why not store the set-up in an Evernote note and refer to that if you ever have to set it up again? The only time I have ever referenced this information is when I have bought a new device...

Cicero
20-05-2013, 10:40 AM
It seems we have converted a dead Roman politician to the dark side.... Mwahahaha!!!
A bit mixed here........

It takes strength to resist the dark side. Only the weak embrace it!"
"It is more powerful than you know."
"And those who oppose it are more powerful than you'll ever be!" ―Obi-Wan Kenobi

Be careful with your metaphors.

dugimodo
20-05-2013, 10:52 AM
I just bought an iductive charging MOD for my S3 off trademe for $61 including postage so I can be cool like the nexus 4 users...
Just waiting for it to arrive.

Cicero
20-05-2013, 10:57 AM
I just bought an iductive charging MOD for my S3 off trademe for $61 including postage so I can be cool like the nexus 4 users...
Just waiting for it to arrive.

You mean the rich 4 owners(CS & JO), @ $90 I will wait a bit.

dugimodo
20-05-2013, 12:16 PM
Well I can't comment on that, my S3 cost me $699 parallel imported and I'm regretting not joining in on the big nexus 4 order a little - but not much the S3 is cool.
Turns out it has factory contacts for wireless charging and samsung make a replacement back for it with a coil in it, but 3rd party suppliers have come up with a thin coil that fits under the existing back.

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2013, 12:36 PM
Yeah I'm definitely a big fan of Inductive Charging now! It's brilliant!! :)

paulw
20-05-2013, 12:50 PM
Looks like Titanium Backup is the way to backup a fone..

Cicero
20-05-2013, 12:54 PM
Yeah I'm definitely a big fan of Inductive Charging now! It's brilliant!! :)

So true, it is so tiring having to plug in all the time.:rolleyes:

paulw
20-05-2013, 01:40 PM

Damn. You have to root the fone to use it..

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2013, 01:52 PM
Check my post again. Helium should do what you want, root not required.

So true, it is so tiring having to plug in all the time.:rolleyes:
Haha yeah just ask the iFans. Steve Cook was like "We've got this fancy new connector, now you don't have to fiddle around flipping the cable around because it's reverseable", then the Nexus 4 and Nokia Lumias come along like "Bitches please, who needs cables?" :D

johcar
20-05-2013, 01:54 PM
Not sure why you're looking for something to back it up... The standard Google backup should be sufficient - Google Play knows exactly what apps you have installed (and subsequently uninstalled) and bought, the rest is just a few minutes work to do manually (email account logins). And the likelihood of needing to do it low anyway.

What else is there to back up?

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2013, 02:24 PM
Yeah he's right, you've likely already spent longer trying to back it up, than you would have with the re-setup. Google already backs up most of your stuff so when you get a new device you just throw in your Google details and it restores most things automatically! :)

johcar
20-05-2013, 02:46 PM
Of course I'm right!! :D

Be reasonable. Do it my way! :D:D

Chilling_Silence
20-05-2013, 03:14 PM
Of course I'm right!! :D

Be reasonable. Do it my way! :D:D

You sound like my wife...

lordnoddy
20-05-2013, 03:36 PM
I don't use anything to back it up - just Google Standard (G+ etc) but as soon as I got my new Nexus 4 - bang back to the way I had the previous one set up and all contacts in tact :) Just things like apps need re-downloading but hey the ones I've paid for are still free etc.

johcar
20-05-2013, 04:44 PM
I don't use anything to back it up - just Google Standard (G+ etc) but as soon as I got my new Nexus 4 - bang back to the way I had the previous one set up and all contacts in tact :) Just things like apps need re-downloading but hey the ones I've paid for are still free etc.

:+1:

paulw
21-05-2013, 09:37 AM
I give up. Guess you guys don't believe in backing up PCs ether.. Al;l I want is a way to do it like the Samsungs /iPhones do .. When the SGS2s at work went to Jellybean one of the guys i work with had to factory default his fone again. He had a backup and the whole thing was going again in about 10 minutes. True he did have to redownload his apps again but the fone config was there so no time trying to compare setup with other fones..

Gobe1
21-05-2013, 10:08 AM
So where does google put the data and can you access it without a phone?? is it in your gmail account somewhere??
I have had a look but cannot see anything obvious

lordnoddy
21-05-2013, 10:14 AM
So where does google put the data and can you access it without a phone?? is it in your gmail account somewhere??
I have had a look but cannot see anything obvious

Gmail contacts and images are uploaded automatically to G+ but not shared or accessed by anyone else until you allow it :)

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 10:36 AM
@paulw
That's the point we're getting at: Backing up is for iPhone users
Your data is automatically sync'd. Your photos / videos should be instant uploaded to G+
Your contacts and emails are in your Gmail
Your WiFi network settings are stored associated with your Google account
Your phone will automatically reinstall the apps (Provided you ticked the button when you set it up), so you don't have to manually reinstall them

All you have to do is enter in your Gmail account when you setup the phone and it'll restore the lot. The only thing it won't restore is your in-app progress (Like how far in a game you are.. though that's coming with the new game API's) and it won't restore your *email* settings.

For the app stuff, just use Helium, as I linked you to. For your email settings, just manually re-do it. The whole process is quite painless and literally takes no additional time when you're setting up your phone again!

@Gobe1
They're associated with your Google account, as mentioned contacts in Gmail / G+, images / videos on G+, things like your saved wifi networks or what apps you had installed are in your "Google account" but aren't easily visible.

johcar
21-05-2013, 11:53 AM
@paulw
Your data is automatically sync'd. Your photos / videos should be instant uploaded to G+
Your phone will automatically reinstall the apps (Provided you ticked the button when you set it up), so you don't have to manually reinstall them

All you have to do is enter in your Gmail account when you setup the phone and it'll restore the lot. The only thing it won't restore is your in-app progress (Like how far in a game you are.. though that's coming with the new game API's) and it won't restore your *email* settings.

For the app stuff, just use Helium, as I linked you to. For your email settings, just manually re-do it. The whole process is quite painless and literally takes no additional time when you're setting up your phone again!

@Gobe1
They're associated with your Google account, as mentioned contacts in Gmail / G+, images / videos on G+, things like your saved wifi networks or what apps you had installed are in your "Google account" but aren't easily visible.

Kies, in my experience, is an unstable POS and a total waste of space, provided by Samsung as a way to hook people into their product. It perpetuates a methodology that went out with the Palm Treo (although is still in evidence, as Chill says, with iPhones - although Apple have gone a little way down the track to make everything cloud-based).

I know at least two friends who had to get their PCs rebuilt because Kies screwed the registry up so badly the PC was unusable.

Be happy you're ditching it!!

Gobe1
21-05-2013, 11:55 AM
100% we have heaps of trouble with it here at work

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Yeah I can't *stand* Kies, it's so horribly written and I've personally seen it screw up the backups of 3 of my mates original Galaxy S phones. It's completely unnecessary.

paulw
21-05-2013, 01:28 PM

Kies, in my experience, is an unstable POS and a total waste of space, provided by Samsung as a way to hook people into their product. It perpetuates a methodology that went out with the Palm Treo (although is still in evidence, as Chill says, with iPhones - although Apple have gone a little way down the track to make everything cloud-based).

I know at least two friends who had to get their PCs rebuilt because Kies screwed the registry up so badly the PC was unusable.

Be happy you're ditching it!!

Amen to that brother .. How a company can make such great cellphones and such crap management software is beyond me but it seems to be a Samsung thing. Their non mobile devices seem to be a turkey shoot as to whether they are any good. PBX systems, washing machines etc..

paulw
21-05-2013, 01:30 PM
@paulw

@Gobe1

Thanx Chill. I see all my contacts are up on Gmail but fotos don't worry me as I download them to my PC every week or two.

One more question. Any problems fronting up to a Telecom store to get the SIM changed to a micro version. Do they need account info and the like??

Just got an email saying the fone is on it's way..

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 01:45 PM
Nup, none.

You've got 3 options:
1) Go in-store, buy a Micro SIM, then when the phone arrives later you can just call up and change it over
2) When the phone arrives, go in-store and they'll swap the SIM there and then for you
3) Just get somebody (Telecom may) to cut your SIM card

I've got a SIM cutter if you're near West / North Auckland.

lordnoddy
21-05-2013, 02:16 PM
Nup, none.

You've got 3 options:
1) Go in-store, buy a Micro SIM, then when the phone arrives later you can just call up and change it over
2) When the phone arrives, go in-store and they'll swap the SIM there and then for you
3) Just get somebody (Telecom may) to cut your SIM card

I've got a SIM cutter if you're near West / North Auckland.

:+1: it might cost ~$20 I think when I did it with Voda :) they do it there and then (I actually think the only charge is actually keeping the same number:D)

Cicero
21-05-2013, 02:23 PM
I got Voda to change to micro, for the princely sum of 0

paulw
21-05-2013, 02:43 PM
Thanx guys..

Thanx chill for the offer of cutting down the SIM but I'll just replace it..

Will let you know my thoughts on the fone when it arrives and I've played with it for a day or two..

Cicero
21-05-2013, 02:58 PM
He must be yank, this fone business.

Chilling_Silence
21-05-2013, 04:18 PM
Will let you know my thoughts on the fone when it arrives and I've played with it for a day or two..

Sorry so which model did you order in the end?

johcar
21-05-2013, 07:36 PM
:+1: it might cost ~$20 I think when I did it with Voda :) they do it there and then (I actually think the only charge is actually keeping the same number:D)

From memory, mine cost $5 or $10. But the rep didn't know how to fit the SIM card 'cos he hadn't seen an N4 before, so I ended up installing it. Up and running within a few minutes...

Jen
21-05-2013, 08:05 PM
Looks like it depends upon the person helping you. Mine did not cost anything at Vodafone and when I moved to Telecom, I got the micro SIM for no charge either.

johcar
21-05-2013, 08:32 PM
Looks like it depends upon the person helping you. Mine did not cost anything at Vodafone and when I moved to Telecom, I got the micro SIM for no charge either. If you were a win for Telecom from Vodafone, that's why it was free there... :)

Cicero
21-05-2013, 08:34 PM
No question about charging, part of the service.
Problem was the girl lost half of my contact in the transfer, luckily I can live with it.

dugimodo
22-05-2013, 01:37 AM
I cut my sim down with a pair of kitchen scissors using a template downloaded from the internet......

paulw
22-05-2013, 09:57 AM
Sorry so which model did you order in the end?

16 Gig.

Chilling_Silence
22-05-2013, 10:16 AM
Ah so it was the Nexus 4 then? :D Cool!

Cicero
22-05-2013, 11:05 AM
Ah so it was the Nexus 4 then? :D Cool!
They can be hard to communicate with sometimes.

paulw
28-05-2013, 10:18 AM
The fone just arrived. Talk about secure bubble rap packing.. Doing the Google restore 58 apps over WiFi (Geez I didn't know I had so many. Some will be removed i suspect..) Now to wait until the snow here in Auckland clears and go to a Telecom store and get a micro SIM. Didn't realize that the Google restore was so automatic and easy :-)

johcar
28-05-2013, 10:38 AM
The fone just arrived. Talk about secure bubble rap packing.. Doing the Google restore 58 apps over WiFi (Geez I didn't know I had so many. Some will be removed i suspect..) Now to wait until the snow here in Auckland clears and go to a Telecom store and get a micro SIM. Didn't realize that the Google restore was so automatic and easy :-)

Well done - who needs crappy third-party software!!! Google seem to know what they're doing, whereas Samsung - well, they make good hardware, but....

johcar
28-05-2013, 11:22 AM
I wouldn't worry about the number of apps you have installed - I have 131 on my N4 and 104 on my N7 (mostly the same apps).

They don't do any harm if you aren't using them - unless you find yourself away from wifi and in desperate need to update a lot of apps at once. That will eat into your data cap...

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2013, 12:10 PM
Didn't realize that the Google restore was so automatic and easy :-)

It's pretty cool yeah? :D

paulw
28-05-2013, 02:20 PM
It's pretty cool yeah? :D

Yep sure is.

Have you done wireless charging for yours?? I see this one on TM

http://www.trademe.co.nz/mobile-phones/accessories/chargers/other/auction-597474961.htm

Any good you think??

Chilling_Silence
28-05-2013, 02:29 PM
Yeah its *fantastic*! I imported the official one but the device you linked to should work equally as well :)

Definitely worth grabbing one!

Cicero
28-05-2013, 02:38 PM
Especially if you don't mind forking out $90 for the privilege.

paulw
29-05-2013, 05:22 PM
Ok I've had this thing for over 24 hours and mostly positive.

A couple of things I miss from the SGS2 and Jellybean Touchwize.

1. No way of adding shortcuts to the lock screen.
2. I miss the pull down at the top with all the settings you can turn off and on. There is a widget for the in the N4 but looks like the old one from Android 2.3.
3. Can't have different wallpaper for lock screen and home screen, minor niggle..
4. Android 2.3 hangover. No way to reboot the fone or turn off 3G data from the power button.
5. Don't like the default weather widget in the N4. The touchwiz clock / weather one was way more informative and allowed multiple cities to be monitored.

Do I want to go back to the SGS2. No way.. Have now set up the SGS2 for Wifey to replace her SGS1 which has an intermittent screen fault when it goes to sleep and has to be re-powered to get it going again. The main board was replaced to try to fix this but it didn't. So now it is a spare backup fone..

Thanx for peoples help in this.. :-)

Chilling_Silence
29-05-2013, 05:33 PM
1) What kind of "shortcuts" to the lockscreen?
2) Pull down with two fingers
3) AFAIK no, you can't by default but there are apps for that.
4) Reboot isn't normally needed, but you can also get something like this: https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.studio.extendedpower -- And you can toggle 3G by pulling down on the notification menu with two fingers
5) Pass, never used that weather widget sorry. Try Google Now instead and use the weather from that? Push and hold your home button and drag it upwards.

Glad you're enjoying it :)

johcar
29-05-2013, 05:39 PM
Ok I've had this thing for over 24 hours and mostly positive.

A couple of things I miss from the SGS2 and Jellybean Touchwize.

1. No way of adding shortcuts to the lock screen.
2. I miss the pull down at the top with all the settings you can turn off and on. There is a widget for the in the N4 but looks like the old one from Android 2.3.
3. Can't have different wallpaper for lock screen and home screen, minor niggle..
4. Android 2.3 hangover. No way to reboot the fone or turn off 3G data from the power button.
5. Don't like the default weather widget in the N4. The touchwiz clock / weather one was way more informative and allowed multiple cities to be monitored.

Do I want to go back to the SGS2. No way.. Have now set up the SGS2 for Wifey to replace her SGS1 which has an intermittent screen fault when it goes to sleep and has to be re-powered to get it going again. The main board was replaced to try to fix this but it didn't. So now it is a spare backup fone..

Thanx for peoples help in this.. :-)

1. Try Dashclock (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=net.nurik.roman.dashclock&hl=en)
2. See Chill's comment + look at Power Toggles (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.painless.pc&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5wY WlubGVzcy5wYyJd)
3. Meh!
4. See Chill's comment
5. I use Beautiful Widget (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.levelup.beautifulwidgets&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5sZ XZlbHVwLmJlYXV0aWZ1bHdpZGdldHMiXQ..) and/or Accuweather (https://play.google.com/store/apps/details?id=com.accuweather.paid.android&feature=search_result#?t=W251bGwsMSwyLDEsImNvbS5hY 2N1d2VhdGhlci5wYWlkLmFuZHJvaWQiXQ..)

Jen
29-05-2013, 06:58 PM
Paulw, you got to try out Light Flow for notifications. Read Chill's blog here (http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/getting-started-with-your-nexus-4-part-1-notifications/) for details. It is so handy that I've paid for the pro version. :)

johcar
29-05-2013, 07:16 PM
Paulw, you got to try out Light Flow for notifications. Read Chill's blog here (http://www.c2s.co.nz/blog/getting-started-with-your-nexus-4-part-1-notifications/) for details. It is so handy that I've paid for the pro version. :):+1:

paulw
30-05-2013, 10:08 AM
Thanx guys. Nice Blog chill. Power toggles sure sorts out most of my niggles. lightflow is interesting . have installed the free version and will have a play with it.

Cicero
30-05-2013, 11:20 AM
The light flow is god, thanks for info.

I can't find templates on N4, that is pre written text, to save typing on occasion.

Does it have the facility?.

johcar
30-05-2013, 11:28 AM
The light flow is god, thanks for info.

I can't find templates on N4, that is pre written text, to save typing on occasion.

Does it have the facility?.

Not aware of one, but I imagine it will depend on the app you're trying to apply these templates to...

In the phone app, for instance, if you go to Settings, there is an item "Quick responses" where you can set messages to be sent back to a caller when you can't answer the phone.

Set the messages and then, when a call comes in, drag the cursor UP rather than to either side. This will cancel the call and allow you to choose an appropriate message. Of course, it's only useful if the caller is using a cellphone...

Cicero
30-05-2013, 11:47 AM
Not aware of one, but I imagine it will depend on the app you're trying to apply these templates to...

In the phone app, for instance, if you go to Settings, there is an item "Quick responses" where you can set messages to be sent back to a caller when you can't answer the phone.

Set the messages and then, when a call comes in, drag the cursor UP rather than to either side. This will cancel the call and allow you to choose an appropriate message. Of course, it's only useful if the caller is using a cellphone...Simply a list of auto messages for texting.

A bad example would be, Good morning.

johcar
30-05-2013, 12:08 PM
Simply a list of auto messages for texting.

A bad example would be, Good morning.

I had that on my Palm Treo, but it's not available on the stock Android messaging app AFAIK.

However that's the beauty of Android - there's probably another SMS app out there on Google Play that you can download, install and make default that DOES have this feature...

Cicero
30-05-2013, 01:13 PM
I had that on my Palm Treo, but it's not available on the stock Android messaging app AFAIK.

However that's the beauty of Android - there's probably another SMS app out there on Google Play that you can download, install and make default that DOES have this feature...

Thanks for info old bean.