PDA

View Full Version : Replacement desktop

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 12:45 PM
Hi guys.

We looking at replacing our, poor, worn-out Compaq Evo.

Which is over 10 years old. Have update to 2 GB's ram and a sata 500 GB hard drive.

Thinking about this, http://www.trademe.co.nz/a.asp?id=584797007, and wanted your views, on it.

We have heaps of photos, thus the 500 GB hard drive and an external. We did mostly Facebook games and general browsing.

I'm a little concerned about Emails as I monitor about 7 Gmail accounts and Outlook Express does the job.

One of my concerns, with this, is the hight postage charge $38.00.

We have a computer shop, here in Papamoa, but when I looked in there a while back his stuff was very expensive. Hight rents, in the Plaza, don't help.

So, open to your suggestions?

:thanksIan

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2013, 01:29 PM
I'd suggest it's probably complete overkill. 16GB of RAM?! :O

I'd personally start with something more like this, perhaps add a SSD if you've got money to burn:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB1408

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 01:54 PM
I'd suggest it's probably complete overkill. 16GB of RAM?! :O

I'd personally start with something more like this, perhaps add a SSD if you've got money to burn:
http://pbtech.co.nz/index.php?z=p&p=WKSPB1408

Yes it is cheaper, but much smaller hard drive, ram and no operating system. I do like the option of a small SSD for the operating system.

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2013, 02:19 PM
Yeah it doesn't have a monitor etc either but by the time you add that it's still fine. Also, anything more than 4GB of RAM is basically gonna be wasted. Windows + browser + antivirus isn't likely to use more than 2GB.

My PC is currently utilizing 2.7GB worth of RAM, but that's coz I have 4 chat programs open, DotA2 (800MB), several browser tabs and plugins.... So yeah 4GB is *HEAPS*.

The SSD though, that'll make a real nice difference on the other hand, well worth investing in if you ask me! :)

wainuitech
20-04-2013, 02:43 PM
Trouble with a lot of those ones advertised esp on PBTech, and some on trademe, they use the supplied Power Supply that comes with the case, the PSU's are basic, cheap and I wouldn't really trust them under a load. That's the first thing I rip out and replace. Also many only put on a 1 year warranty when in fact they come with a longer manufactures warranty. PBTech want to charge you an extra $67.85 for something that should already exist.

Alex B
20-04-2013, 03:02 PM
Computer Lounge Tek Radical system with additional 1TB HDD and your choice of Windows 7 or 8 comes out at about $1500. 2 Year RTB warranty etc.

Chilling_Silence
20-04-2013, 03:32 PM
Trouble with a lot of those ones advertised esp on PBTech, and some on trademe, they use the supplied Power Supply that comes with the case, the PSU's are basic, cheap and I wouldn't really trust them under a load. That's the first thing I rip out and replace. Also many only put on a 1 year warranty when in fact they come with a longer manufactures warranty. PBTech want to charge you an extra $67.85 for something that should already exist.

This is true, but that kind of a system won't stress the PSU in the slightest coz there's no graphics card and minimal internals.

And yeah the longer warranty, you can claim on the individual parts themselves, if they come with something longer. There's also the CGA to help you out. I personally never bother with extended part warranties for anything PC-related though.

dugimodo
20-04-2013, 03:58 PM
Another option is to decide on a budget and have someone like computerlounge build one to fit the budget.
Then you can decide what parts your money is best spent on. For the uses you mention a budget system should be fine.

I'd suggest;
A quality PSU in the 350-500W range (if you'll never add a powerful graphics card and are happy with onboard 500W is overkill and 350-400 is enough)
A case of your choosing, pick this first and then pick parts to suit it. (eg itx cases are compact and tidy but have less space and require an itx motherboard, a cheap mid tower ATX case will fit anything you're likely to need).
AMD or Intel both make good systems at this price point, go for a dual or quad core from either and you'll be fine - pick a MB and CPU combo to suit. (I'd suggest an i3 personally but it's just a preference).
4-8Gb of RAM, I agree with Chill that 4Gb is ample for your uses but also would make the comment that it's never cheaper or easier to add RAM than when a system is first built, 8GB should see out the life of the PC.
A 128 or 256GB SSD for the OS and a 1-3 TB storage drive.

You should be able to get all that and an OS and screen if you want for less than the $1200 the trademe one costs and it will feel much faster for the type of tasks you mention thanks to the SSD.

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 04:10 PM
:thanks guys.

Lots of good points there.

Probably for me to group and print them for reference.

Good work.

Just done that, can I ask who what is computerlounge and contact details?

Thanks again

wainuitech
20-04-2013, 05:17 PM
This is true, but that kind of a system won't stress the PSU in the slightest coz there's no graphics card and minimal internals.

And yeah the longer warranty, you can claim on the individual parts themselves, if they come with something longer. There's also the CGA to help you out. I personally never bother with extended part warranties for anything PC-related though. Just referring to the PSU, those budget ones that come with the Cooler master (PBTech link) or the Foxconn Case (Trademe Link) , its not so much the load limits, its also how reliable they are. I don't trust them, I've seen to many cause stability problems after a while, seen a couple fail and take out the whole PC, 230 Volts into computer parts makes them go BANG and all the smoke that makes all computers run comes out. :crying

As Mentioned I rip them out, and use them if someone wants a cheap PSU, mainly for Older computers they don't want to spend any money on. The actual builds get replaced with another PSU that comes with a manufactures 3 year warranty. Sure it adds to the overall build cost, but those cheap ones often don't have enough plugs for expansion anyway.

With all the builds I been doing lately, I got at least 9 of them in my cupboard, all brand new, removed from cases.

Alex B
20-04-2013, 05:49 PM
:Just done that, can I ask who what is computerlounge and contact details?

http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=2

I have had to return a few faulty Intel SSD'd to them, always quick turn around and have upgraded me once or twice when they couldn't get the same SSD back promptly.

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 05:56 PM
I found the computer lounge place and looking at their systems.
This one is the same price but seems to only have one small hard drive. http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=1
Seems to be a 128 GB drive, which I understand is good for the Operating system drive, but very small for normal duty, or am I reading it wrong?
This one dearer but same size hard drive, http://www.computerlounge.co.nz/systems/systemdetail.asp?systypeid=2

wainuitech
20-04-2013, 06:07 PM
You are correct they both only have 120GB HDD's. Windows and general programs -- Roughly 15-20 GB used depending what you have.

if its just for general daily usage, personally you would be better off getting a standard HDD 1-2 TB and forget about the extra speed a SSD gives.

Lots of people who have SSD's have that for the Main OS /Program drive and a second standard HDD for Data.

BTW: looking at the link, the motherboards used ASUS P8H77-I & ASUS P8B75-M actually comes with a 3 Year manufactures warranty, not the two they are advertising ;)

Alex B
20-04-2013, 06:14 PM
They are saying 2 year RTB, as in if the system, not the component faults they will sort it out.

As for the small HDD side, hit the configure button and change out the SSD for a normal spinning drive or add a second hard drive.

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 06:15 PM
You are correct they both only have 120GB HDD's. Windows and general programs -- Roughly 15-20 GB used depending what you have.

if its just for general daily usage, personally you would be better off getting a standard HDD 1-2 TB and forget about the extra speed a SSD gives.

Lots of people who have SSD's have that for the Main OS /Program drive and a second standard HDD for Data.

BTW: looking at the link, the motherboards used ASUS P8H77-I & ASUS P8B75-M actually comes with a 3 Year manufactures warranty, not the two they are advertising ;)

I gota 500 GB sata in my existing desktop, so I guess I could put that in.

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 06:17 PM
They are saying 2 year RTB, as in if the system, not the component faults they will sort it out.

As for the small HDD side, hit the configure button and change out the SSD for a normal spinning drive or add a second hard drive.

I've some are only a 1 year RTB with I think is slack.:dogeye:

Alex B
20-04-2013, 06:20 PM
Correct, and I have heard of a few instances of PB not being too nice to deal with for warranty claims, but have never had to my self.

ianhnz
20-04-2013, 06:24 PM
I've also hear that SSD drives are not very long living, failing early on, not like the standard hard drives and you not allowed to defrag them.
Is that right?

Alex B
20-04-2013, 06:35 PM
Hit and miss, The Intel 320 series had problems, the 330's have been fine. It's an evolving technology. Standard drives still fail them self. No they do not need defragging.

wainuitech
20-04-2013, 06:42 PM
Correct, and I have heard of a few instances of PB not being too nice to deal with for warranty claims, but have never had to my self. That's true, I got a dealers account with PBTech, and I asked once - Why they only have a 1 year warranty on components that actually come with a 3 Years manufactures warranty Eg: ASUS Motherboards. The reply went something like this : That's what we put on them, if you want the other 2 years you have to contact the manufactures directly and sort it out :eek: Guess why I don't use PBTech to get components ;)

Unlike other wholesale suppliers, did a 2 year old Western Digital HDD warranty on Friday - they said send it back, ( Auckland) we have them in stock, we'll replace it right away.

Bryan
21-04-2013, 09:52 AM
If I were you, I would certainly swap the 500GB to a new machine, can't see any reason why not and it does have all your photo files etc. still on it. You would need to consider the operating system that is on it and probably will need Microsoft to authenticate the install onto a new computer. If the new machine comes with an operating system you could just dual boot with both HDDs.

ianhnz
21-04-2013, 10:01 AM
If I were you, I would certainly swap the 500GB to a new machine, can't see any reason why not and it does have all your photo files etc. still on it. You would need to consider the operating system that is on it and probably will need Microsoft to authenticate the install onto a new computer. If the new machine comes with an operating system you could just dual boot with both HDDs.

Thanks, Bryan.
I thought, "You would need to consider the operating system that is on it and probably will need Microsoft to authenticate the install onto a new computer." was only an issue with OEM software?
I have XP Home, on the desktop, with a retail version I bought, and installing the hard drive (with a sata adapture and all, was not an issue.
Was thinking, a bit latter to change my desktop and lappy to some version of Linux.
I did a MIT course on Linux, years ago, but the latest rounds are so very different.
No "Man machine interface and all command line command...

wainuitech
21-04-2013, 10:38 AM
If the 500GB drive has windows XP on it, don't bet on it booting on a new system as is. Theres a VERY high chance it will BSOD the moment you try, the drivers will all be wrong for the New Hardware.

Some people seem to think you can just swap the drives over - often you cant esp with XP. Buy all means you could use the 500GB drive as a data drive.

ianhnz
21-04-2013, 11:05 AM
If the 500GB drive has windows XP on it, don't bet on it booting on a new system as is. Theres a VERY high chance it will BSOD the moment you try, the drivers will all be wrong for the New Hardware.

Some people seem to think you can just swap the drives over - often you cant esp with XP. Buy all means you could use the 500GB drive as a data drive.

I would dream of using XP on a new system.

My 500 GB is, basically, partitioned in 1/2.

My D: drive is Documents, and about 125GB is photos.

I would formate the C: drive 1st and use whole thing as data drive..

Speaking of which, does anyone know of a program that will easily tell me of double up photos, not just file names?

Thanks..