PDA

View Full Version : If I want to update from XP pro to W7 pro..............

Billy T
19-04-2013, 07:50 PM
Would that mean I'll have to reinstall all of my programs etc.

I have a horrible feeling it does.........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

Speedy Gonzales
19-04-2013, 08:07 PM
Probably better if you did a clean install. There maybe an upgrade to Win7, but it may or may not work. Altho if you install 64 bit then you'll have to do a clean install

pcuser42
19-04-2013, 08:11 PM
You can't do an in-place upgrade from Windows XP to Windows 7 at all, so yes you will.

dugimodo
19-04-2013, 08:15 PM
You could install windows 7 as a dual boot so you can migrate slowly. Can be a bit of a nuisance when you decide you want to remove XP but it's not a show stopper. You can either install to a separate partition on the same drive or a separate drive entirely.
The boot files end up on the original XP partition which is why I said it can be a nuisance later, but Easy BCD has a toool that fixes that easily.

To answer your initial question, yes it probably does.

Alex B
19-04-2013, 08:46 PM
Or you can upgrade to Vista then Win 7, but you're better off doing a clean install.

coldot
19-04-2013, 09:09 PM
Traumatic for a while, but now over 6 months later I've forgotten why I used XP.
Mind you I've probably spent 6 months modifying Win 7 to look and behave like XP!

Billy T
19-04-2013, 11:13 PM
Okay.................

Dual boot is a possibility, I do have spare partitions I can use, but how about this:

I run RAID 1 for both OS/Program and Data Drives, so I might run into problems, but would it be possible to drop in two new OS disks then install W7, but drop the original XP disks back in during work hours (it is a 5 minute job to swap out both OS disks) so that I could load up all the programs I need and get them configured before I have to go live on W7.

Somehow I think that would probably be an impossibility, and if so, I'd have to do the change of OS during the Christmas break period when my workload drops off. The only other option is to buy a new computer, which is what I did to migrate from W2K to XP. That actually sounds like the simplest system, and then I'd have a back-up computer that wasn't quite as old as my W2K box which is still soldiering on but is showing signed of advanced aging. The current XP computer has been out for a few days for failure to boot (bios update cleared that) and I was using the old machine for essentials but it was lagging like mad even after a good clean up and defrag, and from time to time the screen image goes all jittery and frayed with line by line displacement.

Sigh! :groan: Nothing in life is simple anymore.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

dugimodo
20-04-2013, 12:26 AM
Absolutely you can swap the disks and install 7 and swap back and forth physically. It's not commonly done but it's totally viable. I have an old 80G hdd sitting on a shelf fully configured with my media PCs previous OS from before I upgraded the hdd, I can reinstall it and reboot the old system any time I want. If you did this too long you could cause some wear on the cables and connectors is about the only issue, if there's room to install all the drives you could disable the ones you don't want to boot from in BIOS rather than physically removing them and that would work too. I do recommend disconnecting the existing drives physically before installing the new OS though to prevent any accidents (like choosing the wrong disk and wiping XP)

Poppa John
20-04-2013, 10:20 AM
Would that mean I'll have to reinstall all of my programs etc.

I have a horrible feeling it does.........

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :groan:

Just out of curiosity...why do you want/need to go to W7. I too am on XP but suits me well. PJ

pcuser42
20-04-2013, 10:42 AM
Just out of curiosity...why do you want/need to go to W7. I too am on XP but suits me well. PJ

In less than a year it won't be getting any more security updates ;)

Poppa John
20-04-2013, 10:56 AM
In less than a year it won't be getting any more security updates ;)

Does that matter? PJ

Nick G
20-04-2013, 11:21 AM
Does that matter? PJ
Yes - no more security updates mean as soon as a flaw is found in the OS, there is no way of patching it. In other words, XP becomes a security disaster.

Alex B
20-04-2013, 12:57 PM
Absolutely you can swap the disks and install 7 and swap back and forth physically. It's not commonly done but it's totally viable. I have an old 80G hdd sitting on a shelf fully configured with my media PCs previous OS from before I upgraded the hdd, I can reinstall it and reboot the old system any time I want. If you did this too long you could cause some wear on the cables and connectors is about the only issue, if there's room to install all the drives you could disable the ones you don't want to boot from in BIOS rather than physically removing them and that would work too. I do recommend disconnecting the existing drives physically before installing the new OS though to prevent any accidents (like choosing the wrong disk and wiping XP)

I wouldn't do this with RAID. Playing with fire.