PDA

View Full Version : Speedbit nuisance how to uninstall

Neil F
17-04-2013, 01:41 PM
Download Accelerator Plus(DAP) is a good download manager.
Unfortunately in their last 2 updates they have made it compulsory to install Speedbit as the default homepage
and Speedbit Search as the default search engine.
Previously one could uncheck those boxes during installation process.

I have been through lots of forums with members bemoaning this and how almost impossible it is to uninstall the Speedbit portions.
With an IT person far more skilled than me we went through Registry Editor and many of the suggested removal tips etc but still no joy .
Some of the various uninstall tips refer to tabs and options that do not exist (I was using Internet Explorer 10).

Has any member been able to successfully get rid of Speedbit ( apart from uninstalling Download Accekerator Plus?

Neil

Speedy Gonzales
17-04-2013, 01:49 PM
Change the homepage. Or if it installs an addon disable it

wainuitech
17-04-2013, 05:18 PM
Just downloaded and installed it, thought what the hell, always up for some fun, what a disappointment :( The default search engine stayed as is, and home page didn't change.

The reason others may have gotten the "extras" is on their website, pre-ticked is a box that says "I agree to make Speedbit my homepage and default search" Well guess what you told it to install.

So I ended up "infecting" the Computer on purpose, you cant simply change the home page, doesn't work Speedbit keeps coming back.

Bit of a cheeky thing really :nerd:

Finally got rid of it though, wasn't that hard.

Heres how: 1st save any downloads you have in the DAP folder to somewhere else, then using Portable-Revo-Uninstaller (http://www.softpedia.com/get/PORTABLE-SOFTWARE/System/System-Enhancements/Portable-Revo-Uninstaller.shtml) uininstall Download Accelerator Plus using the advanced option which rips out all the files and reg keys. When uninstalling, on one window that pops up, click yes to all, dont let Download Accelerator Plus reboot when its done, click cancel, as Revo needs to rip the remainder out

WARNING -- geek stuff, if you are not comfortable in the registry then DONT GO THERE get someone who is comfortable.

The after rebooting open regedit, navigate to

HKCU\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes there will be an arrow there, click to expand, you'll see several folders with various number/letters, each one is the search provider, by opening each folder you will see whose it is, Eg: bing, Google, OR the one you want speedbit. Delete the folder containing speed bit. Folder should be {7F4EFF06-7032-458e-AE16-1C1D8255}

Then navigate to
HKLM\Software\Microsoft\Internet Explorer\SearchScopes --- Same thing as above look for the speedbit folder, if its there delete it.

Now go to your Browser ( speedbit may still show) go to a site you want as your home page and change to that-- Speed bits gone.

Now go to their site http://www.speedbit.com/dap/ reinstall Download Accelerator Plus but this time dont select the "I agree to make Speedbit my homepage and default search" Right hand side of page just above the BIG download button.

Your Downloader is now back minus the speedbit crap. ;)

NOTE: if you install the Video Accelerator you will be prompted to install the search again, the only way out of that is to get the paid version, or DONT select Video Accelerator when installing again, its pre ticked so LOOK at what you are agreeing to before clicking next.

Neil F
17-04-2013, 05:48 PM
Speedy Gonzales

the 2 techniques you suggest were the first I tried (as have many others).
Speedbit still reinserts itself no matter how much you disable it or change Homepage.

Neil F
17-04-2013, 05:50 PM
Wainuitech many thanks for such precise detailed instructions.
I appreciate the time you have taken to check the program and find a fix.

regards

Neil

GameJunkie
17-04-2013, 06:03 PM
Speedy knows his stuff

wainuitech
17-04-2013, 06:18 PM
Speedys suggestion often works on some problems but in this case speedbit is different.

Took actually installing it to find out how to remove, you can change the home page, it may show google ( for example) but speedbit takes over.

GameJunkie
17-04-2013, 10:30 PM
And so does WT :D

dugimodo
18-04-2013, 11:43 AM
Do you really even need a download manager these days ? Both IE (9&10) and Fifefox have a built in download manager that allows pausing and resuming and queueing up downloads and for me at least it's a rare download that's large enough or slow enough to benefit much from any acceleration these programs claim to provide. When my connection was slower and I was downloading a lot of files I used to use a manager (getright or something like that I think) that let me queue up a lot of files and leave it running but these days I really have no use for one. On top of all that a lot of large files now are optionally distibuted via some form of torrent (including things like game patches through official downloaders).