PDA

View Full Version : Winxp pro internet connection sharing

22-11-2001, 10:06 AM
I am running xp pro and have a peer to peer network setup between two computers. this network was functioning correctly under win98 but i was unable to get connection sharing going under 98 either. Under xp pro, i cannot share directories of my choice, and i cannot send files from my newer computer to the other one, all files must go one way, and can only go into the shared docs folder on my newer box. My newer box is running ntfs and the other fat32. I also cannot get xp pro's internet connection shring to work correctly. Is there a sloution to this (I do not want to run a proxy program on the computer with the dialup connection either, as this yielded less than satisfactory results under 98).

22-11-2001, 10:41 AM
Hoo Boy! This is going to be a common query as more & more people try to network W98 & W2k/XP, mistakenly believing that M$ made their products compatible!

Search the MS knowledge base for article Q258717 which should get you on the right track.

Also search Press F1 for 'W2k/W98' or 'peer to peer' to pick up other people's experiences and the solutions offered.

Hint hint: It is probably time that PC World did a definitive article on this one as the process is full of fishhooks for the trusting or unwary.

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

22-11-2001, 12:02 PM
Both of my computers are running xp pro... one using ntfs the other fat32. I know the network is connected beacuse I can play network games with no worries. It is only the sharing folders, and ICS that i have problems with.