PDA

View Full Version : How to tell what kind of motherboard I've got...

22-11-2001, 08:06 AM
A friend of mine gave me a couple of boxes of bits to put together a better computer than the one she's got... 'yeah not a problem' I say... LOL

the problem is, there are no markings on the m/board to tell me anything about it. Its got most of the jumpers labelled, and tells me what they do, but some of them aren't labelled, and there's a bit of other stuff I don't know. I so decide to search the net to see if I can find a manual for the board. Problem is, there's no markings on the board to tell me who made it etc. None at all. Not even an FCC number (even though there's an FCC approved for Home and Office use sticker on it... and no, the number isn't under the sticker.)

So how do I find what kind of m/board it is? As its not going yet (cause I can't figure out some of the settings) I can't plug it in and run something like Sandra that'll tell me. Is there a manual way to do it?

22-11-2001, 09:24 AM
Hold the mo'bo up to your screen for a few seconds when you post your reply and I will use my amazing powers to figure out what it is.

But seriously, want the name of a place you can buy a USEFUL motherboard?

As a last resort, you could go to a shop where they make their own and see if they recognise it. Or perhaps you could post a photo of it on the web. Maybe we could have a little competition here. 'Identify Mike's mo'bo and win a prize'.

Sad. Soooo sad.
Maybe you'll get some useful replies, I will observe with interest.

Kind regards, and sympathies, Robo.

22-11-2001, 10:20 AM
OK Robo, you're on!

Put up the prize and we'll be into it.

BTW don't worry about leaving the igloo under your own steam, your kids will push you out when your time is up!

Billy 8-{)

22-11-2001, 10:24 AM
lol robo ;-)

if you can get it to fire up look for the bios string just after the vid card bios is displayed look at the bottom of the screen. press pause to pause and copy numbers. look up at the bios sites. with a bit of luck you can id the board or at lest find the manafacture.

otherwise robo will be kind enough to arrange a photo shoot ;-) (and a young female model to model it of course) :-))

22-11-2001, 10:50 AM
I though about BIOS chip, too, but remember you can have the same BIOS in different mo'bos, so I don't think that would help.

Setting jumpers for processor speeds and stuff is bad enough when you know what they are supposed to be.

I still reckon Mike should play frisbee's with it and get a new one.

Robo.

23-11-2001, 09:12 AM
'SANDRA SOFTWARE' will give you the information you require, goodluck

23-11-2001, 09:25 AM
Thanks, but if you read the original post, I haven't been able to get that far yet. :)