PDA

View Full Version : Linux executables

21-11-2001, 11:38 PM
Hi,

thanks to all those who helped me solve my font and mouse issues. Onto the new problem, here goes...

In the interestests of trying a .rpm file as opposed to .tar.gz or .tgz I downloaded a fps game called AlephOne. It went through it install routine all nice ( I was logged on as root), and then stuck my game somewhere... I managed to find the only trace of it in /root/usr/bin/alephone. It is an executable file. Clicking on it does nothing, opening it under a terminal does nothing. All my executables do this!!! How do I open an exectuable file???

Thx...

22-11-2001, 01:15 AM
For a file to be executable in linux you have to set the executable permission on the file (usually already done for you, you can check by bringing up its properties you file manager).

By default (for security reasons) the current directory is not in the PATH list (unlike DOS).

So to run an executable not in you PATH you need to change to its directory, eg

cd /root/usr/bin/alephone

and running it with a command eg

./aleph

Or what ever its executable is called.

The ./ specifies the files full path with '.' representing the current directory.

22-11-2001, 02:35 PM
Hi,

thanks for your reply. I checked the exec permissions on the alephone file, they are now enabled. In a terminal window I changed to super-user then cd to the directory it is in (/usr/bin/) and used the command ./alephone. It gave the error:

./alephone : error while loading shared libraries : libSDL-1.2.so.0 : cannot load shared object file : No such file or directory.

Now what?

23-11-2001, 08:11 PM
Is it any wonder people can't be bothered learning about linux?

23-11-2001, 08:36 PM
I'm doing my best, but it is as complicated as hell... Thus far my repertoire of installable software equals NONE!!! But I stand undeterred. Bring it on microsoft!!!