PDA

View Full Version : Critical Updates

JJJJJ
16-04-2013, 11:21 AM
I have windows 7 ultimate 64 bit.
Being a lazy bugger I allowed MS to download and install all updates. Then one day while I was in the middle of doing something else,up comes a message, "windows needs to reboot.Close all open files,etc." No option to reboot later.
After the reboot I had a look in the updates file. Most of them were "critical security updates". And the update files seem to be larger than the original windows.
I am wondering if these so called critical updates are of any importance at all. Would I realy notice any changes if I turned updates off?
And what is "windows defender". It is getting a lot of updates at the moment. What is it supposed to defend me from? If I run it, it always says all OK. I have now had a computer for 20 years and have never seen a virus. Nobody has ever accessed my computer,or even tried to.
Would It do any harm if I turned updates off?
Jack

Speedy Gonzales
16-04-2013, 11:31 AM
Depends what the update is for, but MS have updates for a reason. Defender is a virus scanner, like MSE

pcuser42
16-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Defender is a virus scanner, like MSE

On Windows 7, Windows Defender is an antispyware program. It's a full antivirus scanner in Windows 8.

linw
16-04-2013, 12:03 PM
It could be argued that a clean 20 year spell says you must be doing the right thing!

My advice is to keep those updates on auto.

SanChippy
17-04-2013, 09:27 PM
I would keep the Windows Update on automatic, but I only have a limited internet connection.
(Using Mobile Broadband like that guy on Close Up in 2011 or 2010)

Anyways, keep the updates on, they're there for a reason, although it is concerning that the update files seem to be larger that the original windows, and has happened to me before. Though it didn't do any harm. Except for the fact that my Uncle's Data Cap took a big hit when I updated it xD

WarNox
18-04-2013, 10:00 AM
I always keep them on too but now with a smaller SSD C:\ drive I'm starting to reconsider this. The 'C:\windows\winsxs' folder is about 9gb, which is a bit ridiculous and there is nothing to clean up as I didn't install any Service Packs manually. It is recommended to not delete or manually clean up this folder.

8ftmetalhaed
18-04-2013, 07:13 PM
the updates are larger because they download all of the affected files again, which often equates to downloading most of windows again. If they could simply modify the existing files on your machine then they'd likely only be a few kilobytes, but I'm sure there's a raft of reasons as to why that's a bad idea.

mzee
18-04-2013, 08:34 PM
I have 4 computers in the house all running Windows 7. The auto-update is turned off, always has been. In the past I used to allow updates and my drive was cluttered up with rubbish, and often developed faults after update. If its working well leave it be!
I use Microsoft Security and have no problems with Windows 7. As for security, I think it depends on what work you are doing. There is nothing of world shattering importance on any of my computers. Have you considered that if the software people didn't do updates they would probably be unemployed?