PDA

View Full Version : Modern UI/Metro Apps not connecting to internet?

SanChippy
14-04-2013, 08:21 PM
Apparently my Uncle's Laptop won't allow Modern UI/Metro apps to connect to the internet, yet using internet in the desktop works fine. :badpc:
I've done a bit of research and a lot of advice is out there, but they all say different things.
We want a solid answer as to how to fix this.
Thanks to all who reply in advance.

wainuitech
14-04-2013, 09:46 PM
Do the apps actually open then come up with a message saying you are not connected to the internet. Or do they try to open then shut down or not open at all ?

We want a solid answer as to how to fix this Not being rude here, but you haven't actually mentioned anything tried.

One thing that's certain with computer faults, its not always as simple as saying "this IS the fix".

Seen that various problems a couple of times and in every case the "fix" was different. :)

One problem was solved because the person had Avast installed. Removed that and bingo apps now connected and worked as they should, put Avast back and guess what stopped working ;)

nmercer
15-04-2013, 11:32 AM
are you on a network with a proxy?

If you are using .PAC files in the browser, you will need to setup WPAD on the network through DHCP or DNS

SanChippy
17-04-2013, 08:20 PM
@Wainuitech
The apps do open up, and then attempt to connect to the net, in many ways, and then display the "Cannot connect", or some other error message

Not being rude here, but you haven't actually mentioned anything tried.
Opps sorry, forgot that...
Well we tried a number of things, the usual stuff, and also some things that we found on the net, like: rebooting; running sfc scan (or something like that, can't remember :(); app troubleshooters and more, and nothing seems to have worked yet. and this certainly is true
Seen that various problems a couple of times and in every case the "fix" was different.

He doesn't have Avast installed, but has Norton, which I don't think may be the problem, but I'll tell him [Uncle] to try it.

@nmercer
No he isn't currently using a network with a proxy, or and .PAC files, otherwise he would have told us that it would need to have gone through the above process to connect to it/set it up
But, you never know, aye?

More info:
It seems that this also occurs with Windows Update as well, both in the Modern UI/Metro interface, and in the 'desktop mode' Windows Update pane. Hmmm.