PDA

View Full Version : How do I disable onboard video, do I need to?

21-11-2001, 01:08 PM
I have just got a PCI video card and want to know if I need to disable the on-board video SIS620. Do I change BIOS to: 'first VGA' to PCI instead of AGP? Need to change the shared memory? ANy thing else I may have forgotten?

CAn I run both? Any benefits?

Thanks

Scotty

21-11-2001, 01:44 PM
It helps if you have a manual for your motherboard on this one as it will tell you if theres any jumpers you need to switch to disable onboard.

If not its usually just a case of uninstalling your current video, switching off and putting the new card in then going into bios and changing primary display from agp to pci then installing the new video drivers.

21-11-2001, 01:50 PM
I have the manual but there is no mention of disabling video.

21-11-2001, 03:37 PM
Hi,

9 times out of ten you will find that simply putting the new card in place will disable the integrated chip. If you want to run two video devices my experience is that they both need to be cards, as most integrated graphics chips are not that complicated.

22-11-2001, 10:31 PM
So, needless to say I tried it and it automatically changed BIOS to VGA - PCI 1st. Win98 took on the changes well and I enabled dual video(as in drag onto other screen etc.) Are there any other options I can use these vid cards for ie both display the same or change the side the screen is on, from left to right, I can only use the dual when PCI first, on board chip wont let the other work.

Cheers