PDA

View Full Version : Lost Windows Live Mail Contacts List

garyasta
14-04-2013, 05:48 PM
I had a computer crash using Win7 and now have a Win8 computer. I have backup files of the Win7 data, including C drive. However, I cannot find any Windows Live Mail Contacts folders in the backup files.
I have tried using searches on various formats, e.g. C:\Users\User name\AppData\Local\Microsoft\Windows Live Contacts\{36 characters folder name} etc. but can find no Contacts folders.
Any ideas where they might be?

wainuitech
14-04-2013, 06:26 PM
What version of WLM do you have ??

The contacts folder is actually a hidden system file, you need to go into the folders options / View and untick " hide protected operating system files"

More Info windows-live-mail-contacts-database/ (http://liveunplugged.wordpress.com/2011/02/04/windows-live-mail-contacts-database/)

garyasta
15-04-2013, 04:39 PM
Hi wainuitech

Thanks for your response.

I changed the show hidden folders setup but the contacts folder still does not display in my backup folders.

I seem to have copies of the various folders that I used in the original Win7 setup and may import them into the Win8 WLM once I have found the Contacts folder.

I used (done on the Win7 machine) EaseUS TODO backup and I can open the folders in the backup files (located on an external drive) using the Win8 machine but there is no contacts folders showing in the backup files.

wainuitech
15-04-2013, 05:07 PM
Did you unhide the "hide protected operating system files" as well, other wise they wont show.

If they are not there then Todo may have not brought them across in a backup.

It depends on how you backed up the W7, if it was a drive Image or just a backup. A drive Image should have brought everything, a backup may not have.

garyasta
15-04-2013, 05:24 PM
There's no tick in the "hide protected operating system files" box. I actually can't remember how I set Todo up, but I guess that I will set it up now so that it takes image backups.

Trev
15-04-2013, 05:38 PM
If you go to your windows live mail account online you can download them. I did that last year with this computer when I was setting it up which surprised me. It happened when I downloaded and installed WLM and I got a surprise that my address book with all its contacts were there from my previous computer.
:)

garyasta
15-04-2013, 05:50 PM
I have a problem there.

MS indicates that they have noticed some irregular instances in my MS account and have blocked my access. When I try to sort this out, I get a link message that is supposed to take me through a process that requires me to receive a message through my phone line.

I don't have a phone line nor do I have cellphone coverage. Everything is done via satellite broadband and the internet. I was using Skype but now I'm having problems trying to set this up too, as i need MS connectivity as well.

I'll just have to see how I can sort things out.

Life is a slow-motion thing for me. It takes time to sort things out.

Cheers

16-04-2013, 01:32 PM
try..
C:\users\User name\contacts
The older version used that. You may get lucky & find some contacts there.

I feel for you, I'm trying to restore some Win Mail emails, mail restore is failing miserably.
What a POS
I suggest you dump it & buy Outlook as soon as possible, after you get this sorted out.