PDA

View Full Version : How to manually stop hardware wizard??

21-11-2001, 12:19 PM
If a card has been installed on a machine prior, upon start up the hardware wizard will go ahead and fully install the last drivers used(without prompts) how do you stop it?

Cheers

21-11-2001, 02:27 PM
What operating system you running?

Win2k you go into device manager and uninstall the drivers for it

21-11-2001, 02:53 PM
Kame Krazee's suggestion doesn't work. Windows simply goes to the CAB files (or other places known only unto Windows)and pulls the drivers from there. I have the same problem at the moment (still hassling with my &*%#@! NIC problems).

The original drivers for my NIC were dated January 2001 and there was nothing more recent on my WIN98 CD. I then downloaded and installed newer drivers (dated August 2001) from a floppy but my problems continued.

I decided to reinstall the drivers after a couple of particularly bad glitches and deleted the drivers in Device manager. When I rebooted, Windows went ahead and reinstalled a copy of the new drivers without me even inserting the disk. They came from [filename].cab but I was too slow to write the name down.

I too would like to know how to rein in the new hardware wizard. At the moment I have to accept the drivers Windows installs then do an 'update drivers' from device manager and point it to the floppy disk. I would prefer to do a clean install because I don't know whether any residual incompatibility remains after overwriting drivers and since my problems continue, something must be wrong!

Jim