PDA

View Full Version : Computer Intermitently Freezing

KenESmith
12-04-2013, 07:44 PM
In the last 3 days I have been experiencing problems with certain operations causing the computer to freeze (Occurrences last anything from 5 - 20 minutes).
Most occurrences appear to be caused by clicking on a link in an e-mail, or on opening attachments - particularly photos.

Additionally there is a problem when shutting down the computer.
The system fails to react to a shut down command and continues working.

My PC still operate most satisfactorily (up to now) on Windows XP Pro SP3 - I have been too bloody mean to upgrade, and really there has been no reason to do so.
I use Firefox as my Browser and Eudora as my e-mail.
The computer is just 3 years old and still works just fine.

I have done a fill virus scan - no virus' detected - AVG, scrooge or Scotsman's edition
I have done full scans with Spybot and Ad-Aware - nothing detected.
Checked the programs and found nothing amiss.
I have defragged all drives with minimal benefit
I have run all the process in CCleaner.(which I do weekly anyway)

I would appreciate suggestions what the problem is and on how to cure it

Many thanks in anticipation.
Ken Smith

wainuitech
12-04-2013, 08:26 PM
Have a look at the event logs to see is anything is reported.

( this is from Memory - No XP PC's running) Click Start, click Run, type in eventvwr <press enter> In the logs under Application & system, have a look for any error messages at the time of the hanging, ( there would be a bunch of them all the same) what are they if there are any ?

If an Application is showing an error, double click it to open /view what it is.

"If" under System you see any clumps of Warnings stating "Disk" (Will have yellow triangle icons) back up any Data NOW - as its possible it has bad sectors and failing.

KenESmith
12-04-2013, 11:14 PM
Thanks Wainuitech,

I will have a look.

I omitted to mention above, a message I have had twice, namely: that a script was not functioning, and giving one the option to leave it and wait, or to cancel the process, which I did on the two occasions the message came up.

Ken

KenESmith
13-04-2013, 12:24 AM
Thanks Wainuitech,

I omitted to mention above, a message I have had twice, namely: that a script was not functioning, and giving one the option to leave it and wait, or to cancel the process, which I did on the two occasions the message came up.

From System Log 30 Mar to 12 April

Error D.Com 10024 28 Occurrences since 30 Mar Most associated with starting up, but none today

Error Service Control Manager 7000 25 occurrences since 30 Mar Spaced through log about 2 a day

Error Service Control Manager 7011 9 Occurrences, usually in pairs

Error Service Control Manager 7022 1 Occurrence

Error Disk 11 4 Occurrences

Error atapi 9 3 Occurrences

Warning Tcpip 4226 13 Occurrences

Warning Dhcp 1003 3 Occurrences

Application Log

Error Application Error 1001 today

Error Application Error 1000 today

Warning Userenv 1517 System arises about 1 a day

The scattering of these reports over a period of 14 days does not seem to tie in with frequest system freezes over the last 3-4 days.

Your assistance greatly appreciated.

Ken

wainuitech
13-04-2013, 08:48 AM
These two<

Error Disk 11 4 Occurrences

Error atapi 9 3 Occurrences

Could be related, they can be a moments connection problem between the motherboard and what ever drive it is, either the HDD or Optical Drive. If you double click the message it will say drive 0 or drive 1

a message I have had twice, namely: that a script was not functioning, and giving one the option to leave it and wait, or to cancel the process That one I get quite often here on PF1.

You need to check a couple of other things to test them - Run a Memtest you can download memtest from http://www.memtest86.com/download.htm Make a CD or USB from the ISO files, and run that, if anything shows up red - then there is a failing memory module. If not to sure how to run it look at the screen shot tab on that site.

Other thing you can do is run chkdsk. Instructions here (http://support.microsoft.com/kb/315265#method1).

As a precaution, make sure your data is backed up.

On the odd occasion if there are system faults it can do odd things and you can lose your data. Had that happen the other day on a customers machine, mind you to be fair the system was in a terrible state and wouldn't boot at all, just as well I had cloned the drive beforehand.

Chilling_Silence
13-04-2013, 02:57 PM
I'd agree, sounds like a disk issue. Could even just be going to sleep or something, but personally I'd do a backup, just in case....

KenESmith
13-04-2013, 03:35 PM
Hi Wainuitech

I have so far run chkdsk on all the partitions on No 1 HDD - with instruction to repair and recover any lost data -
Went OK without any problems, and no indications that there were serious problems.

Error Disk 11 4 occurrences

Driver detected controller error on \ Device\Harddisk1\D

Also received a warning Message
Error detected on \Device\Harddisk1\D during paging operation

Error atapi 9 3 occurrences

The device, \DeviceIde|Ide Port 3 did not respond within the timeout period

2 further new Application Error reports at 2130 last night

Application Error None 1001
Fault Bucket 753720984

Application Error (100) 1000
Faulting application sychost.exe.version 5.1.2600.2600.5512 . Fault address 0x00002445

I noted another problem this morning when I put a DVD in the DVD drive it's presence was not recognised.

Many thanks for your assistance

Ken Smith

Speedy Gonzales
13-04-2013, 03:48 PM
Is it sychost.exe or svchost?? Which is a windows file. sychost.exe isnt, its probably malware. I would run something like tdsskiller (http://media.kaspersky.com/utilities/VirusUtilities/EN/tdsskiller.exe). See if it picks up any rootkits. If it does select cure then reboot

Did you install any programs like daemontools / any disk emulation programs?

KenESmith
13-04-2013, 04:48 PM
Hi Speedy,
I am sorry my olld eyes aren't what they used to be it is svchost.exe.

I ran tdsskiller - nothing there to kill

Ken