PDA

View Full Version : Win8 + Office 2010 Program group

bk T
11-04-2013, 11:20 AM
When I right-click on the Start wall and click the all apps icon at the bottom of the screen, l can find the Program Group for MS Office, with all my Office components, Word, Excel, Outlook.

Question: Can I send this Program Group to my desktop just like Win7? I've tried to right-click the MS Office but nothing happens. It's easy in W7 - just right-click -> send to desktop, that's it.

I would like to create a short-cut of this Office on my Deskop.

Is there a way?

pcuser42
11-04-2013, 11:23 AM
Right-click an Office program icon (e.g. Word), click Open file location, go up one folder and there's your folder to do what you want with.

bk T
11-04-2013, 11:29 AM
Thanks for you quick reply. Yes, I can do it individually, but can I send the whole Program Group (as a whole) to the desktop? Right-clicking the Program Group won't work.

pcuser42
11-04-2013, 11:53 AM
Thanks for you quick reply. Yes, I can do it individually, but can I send the whole Program Group (as a whole) to the desktop? Right-clicking the Program Group won't work.

Sounds like you (or maybe me) didn't quite understand ;)

Okay, try it this way: navigate to C:\ProgramData\Microsoft\Windows\Start Menu\Programs and find the Microsoft Office folder in there.

bk T
11-04-2013, 12:13 PM
Found the MS Office folder there but still can't do what I wanted.

May have to go the longer way: create a folder on the Desktop and copy it over one by one.

pcuser42
11-04-2013, 12:56 PM
Found the MS Office folder there but still can't do what I wanted.

May have to go the longer way: create a folder on the Desktop and copy it over one by one.

You can't right-click and select Send To -> Desktop? I could... :confused:

wainuitech
11-04-2013, 01:05 PM
Just tried this on Windows 8 and it worked perfectly, open the folder location, click to highlight one of the programs, hold down the Ctrl key single click the ones you want, once all are highlighted, right click anywhere in the selected areas, send to > desktop, the whole lot will appear ( or should).

bk T
11-04-2013, 01:48 PM
yes, I could do it as you suggested, wainuitech.

I have to create a folder on the Desktop and put all those items in the folder created.

I intention is to create an Office shortcut on the task bar as shown here

In order to create that, I have to put a Offiece Program shortcut on the Desktop I have been doing it since XP. So used to opening Word/Excel from there. In Win7, I could remove /delete the desktop shortcut and still be able to load Word, etc.

In W8, if I the desktop Office folder (manually created) is deleted, I won't be able to load Word from the task bar (or system tray?). I have to leave the Office folder on the desktop.

wainuitech
11-04-2013, 02:28 PM
Okay, got it figured without the folder on the desktop.

Is this what you were after ?

If so, Right click the Task Bar, Toolbars> new Toolbar, in the folder location that opens ( down bottom of window) navigate to the Microsoft Office folder, then select the folder,

Note the path in the address Bar:

now it will put it as 1st picture above.

AND not a desktop shortcut/Folder in site :)

bk T
11-04-2013, 04:14 PM
wainuitech, you are the man! That's exactly what I was trying to achieve. :thumbs:

and, pcuser42, thanks for your contribution.

:thanks