PDA

View Full Version : Ubuntu installed and working. Can't reinstall WinXP

Antonia46
10-04-2013, 01:03 PM
We have an older Desktop PC with WinXp on 40GiB Main Drive and Ubuntu 10.04 on 8GiB second Hdd . While reinstalling Ubuntu WinXp was mistakenly deleted.
When I try to reinstall WinXP from the installation CD it appears to boot from the CDRom drive (I have selected to boot from there by pressing F12)
But Ubuntu desktop appears on the screen. The file XPSP1a_Eng_PER shows on the Desktop as a mountable device. When I right click the file I can select open Autorun prompt.

GParted shows the 40 GiB
as follows: Device info: 37.25 GiB unallocated
ATA IC35L060VV207-0
Path/dev/sda
partition table: msdos
heads:255
sectors/track:63
cylinders:4863
total sectors: 78124095
file system support nfts, fat 32

What should I do?
Create a ntfs partition? From where?
Delete ubuntu? From where?
Or something else?

pcuser42
10-04-2013, 01:06 PM
Does it ever show any XP screens? Did you press a key to boot from the CD (this is a Windows thing and is additional to F12)?

Antonia46
10-04-2013, 02:37 PM
Thank you,

Yes I did. I also set the bios to boot from CD as first option.

Antonia46
10-04-2013, 02:39 PM
And no, it never shows any XP screens

fred_fish
10-04-2013, 06:29 PM
Then it's not booting from the CD.
Recheck your boot settings and procedure.
Check the CD in another PC.
Check the drive with another bootable CD.

Agent_24
11-04-2013, 10:34 AM
Did you by any chance download a copy of Windows and burn it to disc? If you did, you may have done it incorrectly. If your Windows CD contains a single .ISO file, you know you did it wrong.

pcuser42
11-04-2013, 10:52 AM
Did you by any chance download a copy of Windows and burn it to disc? If you did, you may have done it incorrectly. If your Windows CD contains a single .ISO file, you know you did it wrong.

I don't think Windows XP can legally be downloaded like that.

Agent_24
11-04-2013, 11:03 AM
I don't think Windows XP can legally be downloaded like that.

Never said it was legal. However if he does have a legit COA I see no real problem.

pcuser42
11-04-2013, 11:09 AM
Never said it was legal. However if he does have a legit COA I see no real problem.

Still violates the rules doesn't it?

Antonia46
13-04-2013, 05:40 PM

I do have the original disc.

I have found the solution. When Windows and Linux are installed on the same computer. (I do have separate harddisks) Windows has to be installed before Linux. Maybe not in the case of all versions of Windows or when reinstalling over an existing running WinXp.

I deleted all partitions on Linux by using GParted on a live Linux disc. WinXp installed without a hitch after that. And then I reinstalled Ubuntu.

Thank you all for your suggestions. I hope the answer to my problem can be of help to someone else in the future.

Agent_24
13-04-2013, 05:55 PM
To me that sounds more like a symptom of having your boot order incorrect or some similar issue. I have installed Windows XP over the top of Linux (and other things) before without needing to format first. The partitioning and formatting can all be done inside Windows Setup.

Note also that if the Windows CD detects something on your HDD already, it will bring up a message "Press any key to boot from CD" and you must do this to let Windows Setup start. If you do not press anything, it skips loading the installer and loads whatever is on your HDD. This also may be what happened here.

Nomad
13-04-2013, 06:21 PM
OT but the MSDN can be ISO downloaded ... :)