PDA

View Full Version : Javascript and secure links don't work

20-11-2001, 06:21 PM
I've been having trouble gaining access to certain links for quite a while, but didn't realise it was a fault until recently. I can't remember when the problem started but I have updated IE a couple of times since, being unaware of the problem.

It goes like this: some sites have a button to click on to access a link (for example the Logon button on the ANZ banking website) and nothing at all happens when I click on them. I can see in the status bar something about javascript but I do have javascript enabled in my Internet Explorer 5.5 options.

I also cannot get to the checkout of some online e-stores, and my online webpage uploading goes wonky too, so some secure sites/links are also affected.

I don't seem to have an Internet Repair tool under the Add/Remove programs (Internet Explorer isn't listed) so I can't try that.

Does anyone have any ideas of what could be wrong, as I am about to reformat the hard drive and start again and I don't really want to do that just yet. Oh, running Win 98 original edition.

Thanks!!

20-11-2001, 06:41 PM
...a 'repair' of Internet Explorer using the repair function would - in all likelihood - correct the problem you are having.

Because this function appears to missing from your version, may I suggest you try running the 'ie5setup.exe' again.

This will effect the same thing.

Go to the Internet Explorer folder inside your Programes directory, Windows Explorer, double click on that Icon and follow your on screen instructions.

Because a 'reboot' will be part of the process, turn off all running programmes before doing so.

Hope this helps.

Cheers!!!

e_

20-11-2001, 06:49 PM
ie repair tool can also be found at system infomation/ tools

20-11-2001, 10:17 PM
Thanks guys, I found the repair tool and ran it, but unfortunately it didn't fix the problem. I'm thinking it might be a windows problem now, because I can't 'log on' or 'join now' on the anz site in netscape communicator either, nor can I get to the checkout of the other site I'm having problems with. Funny thing is though, that I did get through once on the anz site yesterday, but I doubt that their site is malfunctioning 98% of the time, so it must be my machine.

If you have any more ideas I'd be grateful, otherwise it looks like the format is on the cards ;-(