PDA

View Full Version : MYOB Premier v12 slow over network

jasonlow
09-04-2013, 10:41 PM
My finance user complains to me that her MYOB Premier v12 is running very slow over network these days.
My company has been using this software for like 3yrs+.

Generating reports taking like 10min, printing reports takes a very long time and will cause the whole PC to hang.
She needs to hold power button to do a re-start.

When she copy & open the 2013.myo from her desktop, everything works fast & quick.

Any kind soul can advice a solution for this?

wainuitech
09-04-2013, 11:05 PM
Just looking at MYOB's site V 12 is very old, earlier versions had network slowness problems esp when the data files get larger.

Chilling_Silence
09-04-2013, 11:54 PM
Yeah the problems really start to kick in when you've been using it for a while, it tries to do some silly things with the *whole* database IIRC.

Update to the latest version, as wainuitech mentions they fixed that for the better part. It's a couple of hundred bucks, sure, but it's worth it. That, or look into their MYOB online stuff.

DeSade
10-04-2013, 12:45 AM
The information so far is fully correct.
v12 was the last version to use the old database structure (I forget what it was but I do recall it was a database no longer supported by its manufacturer, MS I think)

The version after that was the first of the new build SQL based products and since that was a number of years ago now I am sure the starting bugs have now been ironed out.

Now the issue with the old one stems from the fact that every time you "polled" the server, that is sent to the server for information, changed screens etc the entire database for that file would be transferred across the network and as the files get larger this causes a real speed issue. There is no way to fix this, it is just how it is built.

Upgrading will solve the issue, you could also not use a network and have the file always on the finance persons desktop and finally keeping the file very small will work for a time.

I suggest upgrading.

fred_fish
10-04-2013, 01:18 AM
Later versions have been polished vigorously, but their turdlike qualities are still very evident...

We are using v19 and it is still abysmally slow over a network.
Normal transactions are mostly usable, but reporting takes forever.

It's not bandwidth related, as a 100mb & a 1Gb network show the same issues.

DeSade
10-04-2013, 02:23 AM
There may very well still be problems with later versions as Fred states.
My experience ended after v12 but before the next one came fully online although I was involved in the testing of it and it did seem like the network issues weren't such a problem.

If I were you I would ditch it completely. You don't need Premier unless you use multi-currency. Check out Xero, it works much better.

10-04-2013, 10:29 AM
the 'fix' is to run it via terminal services
This is horrendously expensive though.