PDA

View Full Version : Multibooting Win2k XP & FreeBSD

20-11-2001, 03:42 PM
I have Win2k & XP dual booting now. How would I go about adding FreeBSD to it?

I have a 60GB HDD partitioned into 3x20GB. I have Win2k on the 1st partition XP on the 2nd XP and would like to add FreeBSD to the last partition.

All partitions are formatted in NTFS. Can FreeBSD read NTFS or do I have to change the last partition to another File System?

20-11-2001, 06:05 PM
I think freeBSd uses grub ... you'll have to look up the documentation. There ought to be information about installing on the CD ... which should be browsable/readable from MS systems, even before loading the BSD software. If you don't want to risk the multiboot, you can certainly make a floppy to boot BSD from. It doesn't take long to boot, and it is a riskless way to do it.

I would guess that NTFS won't be welcome: just delete that partition and let freeBSD partition and format it ithe way it needs.

First freeBSD question I've seen. I'm playing with netBSD (not liking it much -- it's different), but it's the only one with a port to Vaxen, and I don't want to put Vax/VMS on my home network.

20-11-2001, 08:44 PM
FreeBSD doesn't use NTFS.
It will want it's own swap partition, plus one or more system partitions.

FreeBSD at least used to come with it's own boot loader. You will need to read up about your version though. If possible, I'd want to test on another PC before risking your current set-up. I only ever dual-booted it with DOS but it worked fine.

FreeBSD is luverly and I prefer their licence to GNU. Linux has much more up-to-date software though.