PDA

View Full Version : Amahi server dead

gary67
07-04-2013, 06:06 PM
I think my Amahi server has died, it still powers up but no HDD drive lights are showing anymore. It doesn't register in the router or on my network so I'm guessing the main drive has failed. Bummer there goes my day off tomorrow :(:confused:

I had it powered down for a few days due to not really being home or needing it on, worked fine last Monday the last time I actually accessed it

wainuitech
07-04-2013, 06:23 PM
Try unplugging the HDD and using another port or cable.

A customers PC has ben doing similar for several months now with a slowly dying mother board, goes OK for a while then the Port dies, unplug it, use another port and away it goes again for a few months -- 4 ports 3 dead so far -- New PC coming ( already got the order)

GameJunkie
07-04-2013, 07:09 PM
how old is the server???

zqwerty
07-04-2013, 07:33 PM
It's the cold, put it in the hot water tank cupboard try it in a few hours.

gary67
08-04-2013, 09:00 AM
An old Pentium 4, not sure how old the OS drive is it is an old IDE 40Gb drive I had lying around, the data disk was new a2 years ago a WD blue

gary67
08-04-2013, 09:22 AM
Strange, flicked it on this morning thought would give it one last chance before opening her up and away it went so will just leave it on again now like I usually do

zqwerty
08-04-2013, 10:05 AM
This is a very common fault in old PSU's, it is normally 2 x 1 -10uF Electrolytic caps used in a self-staring flip-flop circuit which have reduced in value because of losing electrolyte through running hot in the PSU for however many years. They are always positioned close to the Switching FET/Bipolar Transistor heat sink which runs quite hot in normal operation.

Cold weather accentuates the problem. There are always failures to start at switch on when the cold weather arrives, then after the day warms up they will start again. Can take 5 or 6 tries in succession before working again.

If you keep using it without repairing it, it will run fine as long as it is not switched off and allowed to cool. It will get progressively worse until eventually it will become more and more intermittent at starting till eventually it won't.

The capacitors just need to be replaced, but for the normal user replace the PSU.

This is a well-known problem to those who fix PSU for computers at board level.

gary67
08-04-2013, 03:26 PM
Hmm PSU was replaced about 18 months ago. My home network has now decided to conflict the server and wifes desktop saying both are trying to use the same IP