PDA

View Full Version : Windows 8 - Random Mouse Clicks

The Error Guy
05-04-2013, 01:26 PM
After doing a bit of testing in a VM, and a bit of compatibility testing on a 2nd HDD I have recently made the shift permanently to Win8 as my Main OS. All has gone smoothly and after about a week I can happily say I'm really liking it. A few niggles switching between metro apps and the desktop, but once I get familiar with the new shortcuts etc I should be sweet.

One thing that has popped up however is (seemingly) random mouse clicks. It's a laptop, so at first I put it down to the trackpad. I installed the Synaptics drivers (no fix) upped the intensity of the palm bump or whatever it is, still no fix. Since the drivers are from HP, who seem to enjoy making bad drivers, I put it down to software compatibility and put it on my "sort it out later" list.

Today I needed to use an external USB mouse for some design work, so I disabled the track pad and to my surprise found that the problem persisted. Well it's good to know that I don't have a dodgy track pad, but now I have to find out what's causing this, any ideas?

It's very noticeable in Chrome when using PF1 and the likes, but it happens everywhere. I have no clue what it could be, google just throws up the solutions to common ailments (dirty trackpad/sensor, bumping track pad etc etc etc) Same hardware as the W7 machine, clean install onto formatted HDD so I'm guessing it's a problem with Windows 8 itself.

Cheers,

TEG

wainuitech
05-04-2013, 02:14 PM
This may or may not help.

Every problem esp odd ones I've seen with Windows 8 have been name brand computers. Never had any problems with self installed or reinstalls( name brands, drives wiped fresh installs, updated to W8)

Try this -- start the Lappy in safe mode, W8 is slightly different, its NOT F8 on its own have a read of Post #4 Here (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?130207-Win8-successful-clean-install-MS-a-c-sign-up-.-.-then) this will let you in to safe mode.

See if it does the clicking still in safe mode, if it doesn't then its some sort of crap HP or some other program that's running normally.

Chilling_Silence
05-04-2013, 03:01 PM
Get the drivers from the Synaptics website, not from HP. Had this before on a Sony laptop and did the same... Updated drivers resolved the issue :)

The Error Guy
05-04-2013, 05:46 PM
Yay, 110mb of Synaptics drivers to download :rolleyes:

I'll see if that helps - if not I'll force it into safe mode, I know it's a right sack to get into. Had a graphics driver conflict on first install, had to fight my way into safe mode :p. Still no idea why they made it such a pita to use safemode.

Cheers guys. I'll report back later.

The Error Guy
05-04-2013, 09:02 PM
So far so good, although I haven't used a huge amount yet. Generic drivers seem a lot nicer than HP's though which is a plus.

SanChippy
07-04-2013, 09:21 PM
Yay, 110mb of Synaptics drivers to download :rolleyes:

Hard to believe that touchpad drivers are so large. I wonder why...:confused:

At least we are able to get Drivers unlike this guy --> :badpc:

The Error Guy
07-04-2013, 09:48 PM
Hard to believe that touchpad drivers are so large. I wonder why...:confused:

At least we are able to get Drivers unlike this guy --> :badpc:

Because they are a "generic" driver package, contains drivers for all the synaptics touchpads I'd assume. They actual package for just my version would be ~30mb I'd imagine. Maybe less.

As far as "problem solved" still getting clicks, but I haven't used an external mouse yet so no idea if it's palm brushes or these phantom clicks.

Chilling_Silence
07-04-2013, 09:53 PM
Winner! :D

The Error Guy
08-04-2013, 09:50 AM
Not yet chill! See Post #7

Chilling_Silence
08-04-2013, 10:08 AM
Awwww must have mis-read that :(

The Error Guy
08-04-2013, 10:42 AM
I'll play around with an external mouse later.

Right now I'm trying to fix a much more annoying issue in photoshop, seems to be a redraw issue that's affecting the space around the canvas (flashes from grey to the "transparent" checkers)

Usually I'd blame it on the bad ATi drivers (or a fault with leshcat's ones) but it happens with the Intel GPU too.