PDA

View Full Version : DVD/CD burner problem reprised...

Billy T
05-04-2013, 01:16 PM
Hi Team

Harking back to the What's wrong with my DVD-CD Burner (http://pressf1.pcworld.co.nz/showthread.php?128887) thread that I posted some time back.
this has been on the back-burner (no pun intended) for some time as I have had bigger fish to fry, however the time has come around when I again need to burn a CD.

Per previous instructions, I have reinstalled both the burner and its drivers, with the only outcome being a change in the error message from

E80070057 'The parameter is incorrect'.

to

No Media Inserted or words to that effect.

The drive continues to play disks of all types, but I suspect that it may have failed in terms of its ability to burn.

The only thing I haven't yet tried is a different burner program and I'm now edging in that direction. What do you recommend for a small footprint but good performance reliable burning program that I can use to verify whether I have a hardware or software problem?

Cheers

Billy 8-{) :confused:

wainuitech
05-04-2013, 03:23 PM
I got a Older IDE ASUS DVD burner thats doing similar-- Put in a CD or DVD and it plays beautifully, but try to burn anything, it goes the through the motions - but only on making coasters ( found this out after blowing 2 DVD'd and 2 CD's) Tried the Drive on another computer, different OS as well, exactly the same - so make that 3 CD'd now :(

Drives knackered - threw in a new one, they are cheap enough these days.

If you got another PC that can take the drive ( IDE) , open the case, plug it in see if it does the same, no need to install it,leave it hanging outside the case. That will tell you if its the drive or the OS.

gary67
05-04-2013, 04:29 PM
Burnaware free is what i use but sounds like its the drive itself, can be replaced for under $100 these days

Speedy Gonzales
05-04-2013, 04:54 PM
Its probably that crap program. It stuffs up the registry entries. Like Daemontools does. Use something else

Billy T
07-04-2013, 11:27 PM
Now this was getting interesting!

I loaded a copy of Roxio onto my old W2K box, but it came up with all sorts of arguments over various authentications and wouldn't even front up to the starting line, so in the end I gave up on that idea.

Next I loaded a fresh copy of Roxio onto Bill Jnr's desktop and it opened up as normal, then it successfully produced the image file ready for burning,
but when I asked it to burn the new disk, it hit me with the same 'no media' message.

After a brief brain-fart, I decided that I either had a copy-protected disk that was telling Roxio that I was up to no good, or all my destination media were crook.

Turns out it was the latter!

I was trying to back up a MS program disk to CD prior to sending it to Oz for our daughter, but I had run out of CD-R (or so I thought) and only had a small number of oldish Samsung RW disks and some DVDs, and none of them would work.

Then I remembered a small cache of Mitsubishi 'Golden' CD-R, and an even smaller cache of 'no-name' printable CD-R disks that Mrs T had "tidied away' some time back. I finally found them, and tried again, this time with complete success, and both back-up disks are bootable.

So, maybe Roxio doesn't like writing to RW media, or writing CDs to DVD. Tomorrow I am going to buy some more blank CDs, just in case this lot decide to die on me too!

Thanks to all for the input, it motivated me to keep going!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)

wainuitech
08-04-2013, 08:51 AM
Awhhh the Old RW's -- personally I gave up on those years ago after so many failures. The concept is fine, BUT I'd never trust one if its data thats important.

Seen several others in the same boat, they had written data to RW's and when going to use it came up that the disk was blank, or some devices cant read them :eek:

dugimodo
08-04-2013, 09:03 AM
All I use RW disks for is temporary MP3 CD's for the car. I used to use DVD-RW to transfer files but flash drives are much more useful for that these days.
They just aren't a reliable way to store anything. Before you toss yours thought try erasing them first, assuming of course it'll let you given that they aren't recognised.

Another thing that can muck them up is the packet writing method that lets them operate like a flash drive or floppy and requires them to be formatted first. I had so much trouble with that I gave up on it completely and have not tried it in years. At one point installing Roxio software to try conflicted with Nero software allready installed and rendered windows XP unbootable and unrecoverable, fun times.

Billy T
08-04-2013, 10:18 AM
Seen several others in the same boat, they had written data to RW's and when going to use it came up that the disk was blank, or some devices can't read them :eek:

The RW were nos/unwritten and still in their film wrappers so it is probably a media-aging issue as they were bought back in the days when coal-powered drive capability was 10X. The DVD's pose a different question though, and it appears that cross-copying CD>DVD might be either outside the 'rules' or my Roxio being quite old, it couldn't get its head around the difference in disk capacity.

We live and learn!

Cheers

Billy 8-{)