PDA

View Full Version : file association required

effie c
05-04-2013, 10:06 AM
Hi,all,

I must have disabled something,because I did not have trouble before, to this extent.

I went to delete a file-in this case in my back up ( E drive )h/d and was told "This file does not have a program associated with it.Please install a program, or creat a file association with it in the default control panel"

Could somebody assist ---Perhaps I would need this in my C drive as well

Please explain in four letter words how to do this.

I think I used to be able to, but age is upon me :confused:

effie c

CYaBro
05-04-2013, 10:09 AM
You shouldn't need any file association set just to delete something??

coldot
05-04-2013, 11:06 AM
What was the name of the file - or what was the extension part of the name?
On the back-up drive it may be part of a regular back-up and the system may be suggesting that you could only delete it through the back-up application. On the other hand if you did a left-click on the file name the system was saying that it did not know how to run or open that file. Either way the file name is very relevant detail...... and what operating system XP, Windows7...?

effie c
05-04-2013, 11:13 AM
Hi CYaBro,

That is exactly my thought ! But in fact I want to delete the oldest back up files, as the auto back up every week uses up to five Gb of space, and with a 300 Gb back up h/d, I will ,relatively speaking, be running out of space ere long !

A tech suggests I am backing up my e mail each week, that explaining the large amount backed up each week-----but I delete all e mail once I have processed them and that would leave nothing to back up.

Cloldot,

There does not show any program/association to create-any query therefore?

That is the main reason for this query

effie c

coldot
05-04-2013, 11:22 AM
What is the back-up application you have been using?
What operating system are you using?
Are you deleting lots of email before the weekly back-up time? Otherwise the fact that you delete lots of email may not stop lots of email being backed up each week.
What is the size of your main hard drive? What portion of the drive is already used?

effie c
05-04-2013, 11:38 AM
Hi coldot,
I am using w 7 pro, FNTS , main h/d 500gb 424 gb free, E drive 300 gb with 176 gb free and FNTS type

Yes I get about 40 e mails a day-including postcard chess etc,and routine general type others

I don't feel I need to back up any e mail really, tho I had a h/d crash and burn and which was re installed from this back up h/d, I cannot recall whether I had e mail re installed from that, or not

I would only need "contacts" to restart my e mail work.

effie c

coldot
05-04-2013, 11:58 AM
If you backup 76gb (500 minus 424) each week then you would soon fill up your E drive. I suggest you check what type of backup you are doing - full disk each time, only what has changed, selected files or folders, only system files - there are several variations and it looks like you are backing up too much each time. Also are you deleting everything in email Trash/Deleted folder regularly - that could be more unwanted backup.

05-04-2013, 12:06 PM
we all all unsure about what program you use for backup , exactly what you are actually trying to delete & what email program, so any answer will be just a best guess
Unless you backup is a simple file copy,file sync type backup, you wont be able to just delete some of that backup.

1) if you want your email contacts backed up, you need to backup your email (if you are using Outlook)
2) Many descent backup programs should delete older backups, as you go, so you dont run of of space , this is often part of the backup setup
3) you may actually be opening a compressed file/backup file & are trying to delete stuff out of that compressed backup, that might cause your delete issues
4) deleting email doesnt allways really fully delete that email completely. I doubt its email making your backups so big.

My advice, buy a bigger,newer backup hard drive. At least the same size as your main hard drive.
Get someone to have a look at your backup system .

effie c
05-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Hi Coldot,

I empty the trash virtually as it shows being there- several times a day--as I see it, and you suggest it, I must back up selectively-but where do I find the selector?

I use windows Live mail,and this week I changed my 13 year old hotmail account to Microsoft "Outlook" which apparently supercedes hotmail

I get a copy of all other ISP mail into this new one,and delete it after being very wary of deleting a file accidently. All e mail ( xtra,gmail, and outlook ) are deleted as I finish processing all e mail that come in
I installed the 300 gb h/d and apparently if I keep deleting the oldest files I would not need a bigger h/d ( finace boundaries affect this decision )-I am a Superanuitant of long standing ;-)

effie c

coldot
05-04-2013, 01:39 PM
I'm sorry but it is almost impossible to advise remotely without our continuing to ask questions as to what applications you have and what responses you get from them. Are you able to seek assistance from a local SeniorNet group? Otherwise can you find anyone else with computer knowledge - children, grandchildren, clever teenager next door? You really need someone to come and sit in front of your computer to sort out the problem. The only other possible solution is to ask someone to view your computer by remote access - Team Viewer or similar. Speedy Gonzales on this forum has given remote support in the past - may be worth a try?

effie c
05-04-2013, 02:34 PM
Hi coldot
At the moment I have enough info to at least get me thinking differently and I usually am capable even at my age to get out of the prverbial, I will according box on--thanks one and all
effie c