PDA

View Full Version : Yahoo Xtra Webmail - latest update has no Messenger?

Miami Steve
05-04-2013, 09:52 AM
As an Xtra customer I access my personal email from work using the Yahoo Xtra webmail site. Until this week there has always been a "Messenger" link in the menu in the left hand pane. That has gone with the latest update which has given the site a much needed visual overhaul. Are there any other users out there who can confirm that this Messenger link has gone? I have logged into the webmail from home to confirm that I am not being blocked by a work proxy.

Is it possible that Xtra now uses a different version of Yahoo Mail that does not have Messenger built-in to the web interface?

I have tried using the Yahoo help pages but they seem to bear no relation to the product I am using. For instance, with the recent hacking problems I thought it worth checking out when and where my account had been accessed. I used the instructions in the Yahoo Mail help (ID - SLN2073) which included a link to take me to the Member Centre. The instructions then directed me to select "View your recent sign-in activity" under the "Sign-in and Security" heading. There is no such heading or option.

Can anyone shed any light?

coldot
05-04-2013, 11:41 AM
It's gone. Microsoft has replaced Messenger with Skype. Just google "messenger gone" and you'll see plenty of stories about it.

Miami Steve
05-04-2013, 11:47 AM
It's gone. Microsoft has replaced Messenger with Skype. Just google "messenger gone" and you'll see plenty of stories about it.

Surely that relates to MSN Messenger, not Yahoo Messenger? I still have options to "Compose Mail" or "Compose Instant Message", although clicking "Instant Message" displays a popup saying "Yahoo Messenger is currently loading" and eventually a popup saying "Sorry, but Yahoo! Messenger is currently unavailable. Please try again later."

catspyjamas
05-04-2013, 12:49 PM
Yeah Yahoo Messenger and Windows Live Messenger (MSN) are two completely different things and Yahoo is not moving to Skype.

Messenger is showing in the side column for me in the upgraded yahoo webmail, but sometimes it has needed a hard refresh to appear. The stealth settings from the top of the page have gone. You now have the option of being online or offline only, as can control that by pressing the "N" by messenger in the side column.

Don't like the new webmail much at all personally....

Miami Steve
05-04-2013, 12:54 PM
Messenger is showing in the side column for me in the upgraded yahoo webmail, but sometimes it has needed a hard refresh to appear.

Do you also have "Messenger Options" in the menu accessed via the "gear" icon in the top right hand corner? I don't have that any more. Have you ever installed the standalone Yahoo Messenger? I haven't and wondered if that made any diference.

catspyjamas
05-04-2013, 01:14 PM
Yes I have messenger options in gear icon menu, but ONLT when messenger loads in the side bar. When it doesn't it's not there. Try hard refreshing.

I have desktop Yahoo messenger on this PC but never use it. Don't think I've opened it in years and it's probably a massively out of date version. I doubt that has anything to do with it though as the webmail chat thing is quite separate and should function independently.

I'm using Firefox 20 btw.

Miami Steve
05-04-2013, 02:06 PM
Curiouser and curiouser. I fired it up in IE8 (my usual broowser), Chrome v26 and FF 10.0.2. IE and Chrome have no reference to messenger, but FF does, although it is missing the Facebook friends list. I will try some more things tonight at home on my own PC (with the latest browser versions) and see what happens.

catspyjamas
05-04-2013, 02:19 PM
PS I missed the bit in your post about login history. This link should take you to it: https://api.login.yahoo.com/login/history

It'll show you the country and times. There's also an option to see the IP in the country column too.

Miami Steve
05-04-2013, 02:25 PM
Thanks catspyjamas. Not sure why I get a different link, but that one works for me. Looks like it only goes back about 24 hours, but at least I can see it now.

catspyjamas
05-04-2013, 03:23 PM
Try clicking on "view more" at the bottom of the login history page. Mine goes back to 29th March i.e. my last 20 logins (I think the last 20 is the maximum it shows).

Unlike Gmail activity details it won't show POP or IMAP activity unfortunately - just browser and mobile logins.