PDA

View Full Version : I can't get the DOS to autorun the cd in the cd drive - HELP PLEASE

Aporosa
05-04-2013, 09:15 AM
Morning all...

...my mate, who is more computer illiterate than me - and that doesn't take much - has just dropped in his Compac Presario CD56 laptop to me.
It refuses to book into Windows and some tech has told him that its a software, not a hardware. issues. He will reload it for him at the nice *friendly* cost of $298.00 - a bit steep for a struggling university student. Ok, enough of the sob-story....

A couple of years ago I split his HDD.
I created a Ghost image of the operating system and stored it on the second partition.
My idea this morning was to Ghost back - reinstall the operating system stored on the second partition.
I went into dos and changed the boot sequence so it would boot off the CD first, then powered off, inserted the Ghost boot CD, powered on, and this has appeared:
Starting Windows Millenium Emergency Boot...
Type the name of the Command Interpreter (eg., C:\WINDOWS\COMMAND.COM)
A>

I have 2 issues here:
1. The CD is entitled Hiren's BootCD 3 (yes, you will no doubt know the one, been around forever) whereas DOS says "Windows Millenium Emergency Boot". Is this right?
2. What do I type after A> to get DOS to display the content list on the CD? I have tried A:\autorun.exe which is the autorun file name on the CD, but no cigar :eek:.

I looked online but got more confused :confused:. Can you assist please? Once I can get the CD menu up I can do the rest.

Cheers all you altruistic techies out there, you are a blessing from computer heaven....:devil

wainuitech
05-04-2013, 09:32 AM
2. What do I type after A> to get DOS to display the content list on the CD? I have tried A:\autorun.exe which is the autorun file name on the CD, but no cigar .

DIR

You wont type in A: as thats a floppy drive, you need to type in the CD drive letter to change to that first, then DIR will list its contents.

. The CD is entitled Hiren's BootCD 3 That contains some pirated software - Forum rules dont allow help with stuff like that.

pcuser42
05-04-2013, 09:45 AM
Sounds like the laptop is running Windows ME. In which case, the recommended fix is to format and install Windows XP. :devil

Aporosa
05-04-2013, 09:46 AM
Thank you for your response... and I did not know about the pirated software. I was given the CD by a tech and was told it was in common use, I just assumed it was a freeware?? My appologies....

Aporosa
05-04-2013, 09:47 AM
Hi pcuser42 - no, its an old version (1st issue, 2+ years ago) of Win 7.

wainuitech
05-04-2013, 10:04 AM
Thank you for your response... and I did not know about the pirated software. I was given the CD by a tech and was told it was in common use, I just assumed it was a freeware?? My appologies.... The latest versions of Hirens have changed quite a bit,last time I looked its all either Freeware or shareware. Listings and whats what (http://www.hiren.info/pages/bootcd) - version 15.2 :)

Last time I used it, was V15, and any shareware you were prompted to make payments to unlock all features.

fred_fish
05-04-2013, 12:35 PM
You do realise that if you put back that image the entire drive will be as it was at the time it was ghosted INCLUDING ALL DATA.
And once you do it there is no way to retrieve what is currently on there.

05-04-2013, 12:48 PM
Using your paid for version of Ghost, create a new bootable Ghost CD. :badpc:
:rolleyes:

Ghost is not freeware. Im guessing you have a pirated version.
You should be able to find an freeware/trial imaging program that can read & restore from that ghost image
Cant confirm these will do it, but try, Maxblast , paragon, www.livecd.com.
also try http://www.techsupportalert.com/best-free-drive-imaging-program.htm
The NZ'er who wrote ghost has a new imaging util that may work, perhaps someone here has that linky ?

Perhaps there is a Ghost trial download available, try Symantecs site