PDA

View Full Version : Removal of Internet Explorer

20-11-2001, 07:15 AM
While recently installing some software for a digital camera I ticked an option saying 'I had an 'early' version of Internet Explorer and did I want to upgrade'. I ticked yes and version 4.01 or 4.1 duly installed itself. However ever since then when booting up the computer several error messages appear to do with IExplorer. Saying it wont load perhaps a file is corrupted. My query is this. Seeing as I use Netscape Navigator as my Browser can I delete Internet Explorer to stop these error messages. Or at least alter the registry to stop them appearing. The original installed version of Internet Explorer would not load as it brought up a corrupted file error message. I thought the new version would overwrite the affected file(s). Not so !.
Thanks in advance for anyone who can help.

20-11-2001, 09:01 AM
Hi Peter,
go to add/remove in your controll panel, and click the entry for explorer, it will give you options to repair or remove. If you choose to remove, it will remove the latest installment, leaving any previous explorers, intact.

cheers.

20-11-2001, 09:16 AM
The option of add/remove in control was added in version 5.5 service pack 2. What I would do is just reinstall IE either 5.5 or version 6.0 as many updates have been added to these later versions.

20-11-2001, 06:07 PM
I don't think these guyz clearly understood you. Your a NETSCAPE USER. sorry I don't know how to get rid of IE explorer heard that M$ had a programme to remove it though ever since they built it into their OS

20-11-2001, 11:33 PM
Hi Peter, I was in the same situation as you (cocked up Explorer, seemingly unfixable)and used 98Lite to disconnect it from the OS and tuck it away as a backup file. It is a free download ( a more advanced version is avaiable for a small cost). Goto 98lite.com. It works well, and I feel Windows is MUCH more stable now and may even be a little faster. I now use Opera as my main browser.