PDA

View Full Version : Win8 successful clean install, MS a/c sign up . . then

msweary
01-04-2013, 04:24 PM
first boot up next day, black screen, nothing - no mouse pointer even.
Computer is well within specs although screen is an old Philips 170B6.
Clean install was from a MS disk over XP with SP3, appeared to be no hiccups.
Anybody seen anything similar ? Any info appreciated.

wainuitech
01-04-2013, 07:34 PM
Have you tried starting the PC in safe mode ?

Normally with a black screen like you describe its a driver problem. Windows may have downloaded drivers and installed them when you shut down.

If it starts OK in safe mode Go into the programs and features, look for the graphic Drivers and uninstall them.

Buy any chance does this have a AMD Graphic Card ?

If you can get in to safe mode also check in the installed updates for KB2756559, if its there uninstall that as well, its known to cause problems causing blank screens on startup.

msweary
01-04-2013, 10:40 PM
Thanks for quick reply wainuitech - first problem is starting in safe mode, I believe the format for Win8 has now changed to shift + F8 / Adv Repair options / Troubleshoot / Adv options / Restart/ Safe Boot but any combination of F8 and shift just brings up - ATTENTION - NO VIDEO INPUT.

Graphic card is Nvidia GS8400

Noted KB2756559 to uninstall when I do get in !

wainuitech
02-04-2013, 09:23 AM
Ok so windows doesn't think theres anything wrong, hence it wont allow you to enter safe mode -- It was a PITA as to why they made it so awkward, shift+F8 often doesn't work unless windows thinks theres a problem.

Right force it into safe mode then. :devil

Boot from your Windows 8 DVD, 1st window select location, second window bottom left corner in small writing " Repair Your Computer" from the Troubleshoot / Adv options / Select Command Prompt, At the prompt, you need to change to the windows drive, type in D: <Press enter> to make sure its on the right drive type in DIR <Press enter> you should see the user, windows program folders.

Note: D: is NOT a typo, windows 8 & 7 when installing actually make the hidden partition as partition C: when booting from a CD the main partition is D: when booting normally it changes back to C: ( Confused yet :p )

At the command prompt type in the following exactly including any spaces:

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy legacy

<Press Enter>

You should get a confirmation saying its done, type in exit <press enter>

Click on Exit and continue to Windows 8.

NOW when it restarts, keep tapping F8 and it should display the older options, safe mode etc.

To put back the original boot options if you want at the command prompt type in

bcdedit /set {default} bootmenupolicy standard

msweary
03-04-2013, 12:07 AM
I can see what you mean, but as the screen is still black (except for the ATTN: NO VIDEO INPUT dancing around the screen) and the computer is running, I'm dubious about blind keyboard entry.
Without a screen display how do I change the boot order to boot from dvd?
If I had other than a black screen I know that my M/board has an F12 Boot Menu option, but again I can't enter blind.
Am beginning to think that the whole Win8 adoption was a PITA.
PS: I am using another computer running Vista Ultimate for these posts, which I have to say has run brilliantly and troublefree since I bought it 6 years ago.

bk T
03-04-2013, 07:21 AM
Do you see the POST screen (before procedding to start Windows) when turning ON the computer?

wainuitech
03-04-2013, 09:56 AM
Depending on what the reply is to BK t's question - If the POST cant be seen or you cant enter the boot options then its possible theres a hardware failure of some kind. The POST and BIOS options are there before W8 has a chance to load.

Windows 8 wouldn't have caused a failure, its would be straight bad luck it happed after installing W8.

If you disconnect the drive and start up the PC, it should at minimum allow you to see the BIOS or boot menus.
If not its a hardware problem.

SolMiester
03-04-2013, 04:50 PM
Sounds like windows update has installed their dud driver, a known issue, see if I can find a link....

wainuitech
03-04-2013, 04:57 PM
Windows 8 updated graphic driver wont stop the PC displaying the BIOS or Boot options at startup.

Post #2 Listed the Update, KB2756559 that's one that can cause problems.

SolMiester
03-04-2013, 05:06 PM
Flickering Black Screen After Installing R310 Drivers on Windows 8
Issue
After installing the R310 driver on Windows 8, the subsequent reboot results in a black or flickering screen.
Root Cause
This occurs because Windows Update performed a background installation of a Release 304 driver, which requires a reboot to complete the installation. After installing the Release 310 driver and then rebooting the system, installation of both the Release 304 as well as the Release 310 is completed, resulting in conflicting driver binaries and the black/ flickering screen.
Workaround - Prevention
To avoid the issue, reboot the system before installing the Release 310 driver.
Alternately, you can check the driver status under the Device Manager and perform the reboot if the Device Manager indicates that a restart is needed. Then install the driver.
Workaround - Recovery
If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now encounter the black screen, do the following:
1 Reboot in Safe Mode.
2 Uninstall the driver.
3 Disconnect from the internet and then restrt the system. 4 In normal mode, install the new driver.

wainuitech
03-04-2013, 05:18 PM
And there lays the problem
If you did not perform the necessary reboot prior to installing the driver and now encounter the black screen, do the following:
1 Reboot in Safe Mode.
2 Uninstall the driver. Exactly what has already been posted.

BUT no display to allow to boot into safe mode.

Windows 8 by default doesn't work with the normal F8, or in this case the actual commands, shift +F8. ( solution previously posted on how to bypass this - I tested and works)

First there has to be a display - which there isn't, only a signal saying no video input which means the Computer, namely the graphics and monitor are not talking to one another. ;)

msweary
04-04-2013, 01:45 AM
Have started the computer 2 or 3 times and no POST screen.
I will try another screen and see if I can get into Safe Mode and try to sort out those drivers.
Certainly looks as though they are the cause.
Thanks for all comments and replies.

bk T
04-04-2013, 08:19 AM
If you can see the 'no signal input' it's most likely that the scrren (monitor) is OK. Do you have onboard graphic?

msweary
05-04-2013, 12:38 AM
If you can see the 'no signal input' it's most likely that the scrren (monitor) is OK. Do you have onboard graphic?

Nvidia 8400GS
'No video input' & no POST at start up. Clean install over XP from MS DVD ran through without a hitch - selected colour, start screen Win8 appeared, signed up for A/c. Shut down until following day and black screen on 1st boot up.
Was connected to internet at the time and in an earlier post Solmeister pointed out a possible background install of R310 driver which conflicts with R304 already installed - a known issue.
Will have another try this weekend!

wainuitech
05-04-2013, 08:04 AM
A driver in W8 is highly unlikely to stop the post screen from showing. Simple way to test that, disconnect the HDD, boot the PC and try to enter the BIOS, if its the HDD in some way or form then the BIOS will show, or Boot from the Windows or any other bootable CD/DVD. If not then theres another problem.

Just because it was going doesn't mean anything, hardware fails all the time and at any time.

As BK t Mentioned , if you are getting a No Video input message then the monitor cant detect the graphic output.

If you look at any suggestions relating to the driver removal, you FIRST have to boot into safe mode, that would tell you that you'll at least be able to see what you are doing ;)

bk T
05-04-2013, 08:12 AM
If there's no POST now, it's probably a hardware issue rather than software.

Unplug the monitor cable and reconnect it, hopefully it's just a loose connection.